Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a Colt King Cobra Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I haven't been out from under my rock in a while. Didn't know Colt was offering these. Interesting.
    Dave
    It’s become my main EDC, Dave. It was pricey, but it’s flawlessly built.

Hogue grips in action this afternoon. They’re no less comfortable than the stock rubber Hogues. I would like a more visible front sight, but the brass bead is good enough for now.

The Colt King Cobra Carry is a Colt Magnum Carry !

I first spotted a Colt Magnum Carry a couple of months ago, but forgot about it. The King Cobra Carry has a replaceable front sight, but they both share the narrow trigger/hammer, frame design/size, and even the forward screw on the sideplate. It seems Colt only made the Magnum Carry in 98-99.

Name:  IMG_6146.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  33.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    It’s become my main EDC, Dave. It was pricey, but it’s flawlessly built.

Hogue grips in action this afternoon. They’re no less comfortable than the stock rubber Hogues. I would like a more visible front sight, but the brass bead is good enough for now.

I think I know what range you are at.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I first spotted a Colt Magnum Carry a couple of months ago, but forgot about it. The King Cobra Carry has a replaceable front sight, but they both share the narrow trigger/hammer, frame design/size, and even the forward screw on the sideplate. It seems Colt only made the Magnum Carry in 98-99.

Name:  IMG_6146.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  33.1 KB
    For me to buy the 2017 Cobra, I wish Colt would impliment these three changes:

1. Change the contour of the trigger guard to the original SF-VI/DS-II shape. The concensus is that the Cobra trigger guard is still hideous even after six years, and I don't care much for the minimal advantages of it.
    2. Mill out more metal out of the grip to reduce the weight. The new Cobra is heavier than the original SF-VI/DS-II that it is based on. Why? The SF-VI/DS-II had a square-shaped cut in the grip that removed 3 oz, which is a 12% reduction in weight, and this is a carry revolver.
    3. The ugly knurling should be removed especially since there's already a hole for an Allen wrench on the tip. The ejector rod tip should be slightly wider than the rest of the rod to ease ejection, but not too wide so that it can't fit in the current ejector rod shroud design without retooling.

I would also want the trigger and hammer spur to be the same width as the ones found on a S&W J-frame (also for Colt to find a way to hide the obvious MIM ejector marks), but that would entail higher tooling costs from the new MIM molds.

User Tag List