Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here have a late model Ford Edge or Ranger?

Does anyone here have a late model Ford Edge or Ranger?

I’m looking at these two vehicles as a replacement for my 2015 CRV - I’d like to replace it before I move out of NH where we have no sales tax. Looking for opinions… thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m looking at these two vehicles as a replacement for my 2015 CRV - I’d like to replace it before I move out of NH where we have no sales tax. Looking for opinions… thanks!
    Seems like a really bad time to buy a ranger. New one is supposed to be out soon and they are still trying to get MSRP+ for the current one (around me anyway). I'd bet you'd be better off paying sales tax on a new model in a year than buying the old model now, or snagging the last old model on the lot when the new one is sitting next to it.

Don't know about the Edge.

Edit to add- I just saw you are going to Texas in your other thread. My understanding is that Texas is the truck sales capital of the world. I'd bet you buy any truck cheaper in TX with sales tax than NH.
    Last edited by bofe954; 02-20-2022 at 10:06 AM.

I have a 2020 Ranger. Fx4 Lariat Crew Cab.

I went with the ranger because it had the best tow and payload ratings for the segment. I wanted a truck that fit comfortably in the garage. It tows well for it's size. The back seat has enough space to install a rear facing car seat.

As a daily driver it's been fine. Nimble in traffic, easy to park. My mileage ranges from 20-22 MPG. It rides better with some weight in the bed. It's pretty quiet on the highway. Adaptive cruise works well.

Biggest complaints are:
    - I wish I had a 6ft bed
    - No factory brake controller
    - Rear seat needs a 60/40 split so you can fold one side with a car seat installed
    - There is a bulge in the driver foot well for the front diff that can get annoying.
    - Ford SYNC is pretty meh. Bluetooth control is unreliable, Android Auto works well. I'm not a big fan of touch-only.

If I didn't need the tow rating I'd be tempted by the Ridgeline or maybe Frontier.

My wife drives a 2019 CX5 turbo AWD. That would be my first pick if I didn't need a truck or basic off-road ability. It's a fast, comfortable, and great handling car.

Good info about truck pricing in TX, and with the model changes I may do best to wait if I start considering a Ranger. Another one I’d like to check out is the lower end four door Bronco. The Ridgeline is also on the list.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Seems like a really bad time to buy a ranger. New one is supposed to be out soon and they are still trying to get MSRP+ for the current one (around me anyway).
    It launches in the US next year, unless something derails it. Buddy of mine works for one of the suppliers and Ford has ordered enough of the components they make for 200k units.

If you're willing to wait and/or travel a bit, there are Ford dealers doing orders for invoice -6%, but you aren't going to get anything off the lot at anything like that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The updated Ranger will probably be an overall improvement over the current generation. The biggest downside I see is the move towards a large tablet style center screen to control everything. I loathe touch screens for things like radio and climate control. The large format touch screens typically take your eyes even farther from the road. Every press/tap requires hand/eye coordination vs tactile buttons and knobs.

The good news is the lane keep and adaptive cruise functions work well enough to probably keep you from hitting someone or driving off the road while you tap tap tap on your touch screen.

Most vehicles are rated to tow way more than safe other than on flat ground with good conditions.

Would HIGHLY recommend not buying the first year of any vehicle especially an American one with all the issues with interfaces with phones among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Most vehicles are rated to tow way more than safe other than on flat ground with good conditions.

Would HIGHLY recommend not buying the first year of any vehicle especially an American one with all the issues with interfaces with phones among other things.
    Tow ratings: Traditionally this was true. The SAE standard for towing has removed a lot of the nonsense, although payload rating methods are not standardized.

The SAE tow standard is relatively recent and is voluntary. The test method covers the things you would expect (high ambient temp, towing at speed, high grade, braking ability, etc). Anything rated according to the SAE standard should achieve the published numbers, but watch our for caveats like specific trims only, brake controller/trailer brake requirements, and tongue weight vs payload.

Caution is always recommended when approaching the rating.

First model year: Generally yes, but it depends. I would avoid the first (few) years for a new engine or transmission. For the Ranger the 10spd is from the F150 and the 2.3 EB has been in just about every other platform. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Conversely Nissan introduced their new engine and transmission combo on the last model year of the previous gen Frontier. I'd avoid that like the plague, and still wait a bit on the first year of the new frontier.

Infotainment systems are such a shit show across the industry. I agree it's good to avoid new executions, but typically these are also recycled from other models. My 2020 ranger had the same system that Ford has been using in it's other models for 5+ years. It still sucks, but at least Android Auto works.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

I disagree on the tow ratings, but that's already been covered.

The Ranger is a global platform and will not really be a first year vehicle except in the US market. We won't get a lot of the optional powertrains, though. Other markets can get diesels, for example, and while it's possible we could get the manual transmission I'm not holding my breath.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Ranger is a global platform and will not really be a first year vehicle except in the US market. We won't get a lot of the optional powertrains, though. Other markets can get diesels, for example, and while it's possible we could get the manual transmission I'm not holding my breath.
    That applied when we got the '19, as it was years old by the time we got it. The new '23 is being designed as a global platform and everyone's going to get the new one on a similar timeline. Ford Australia is still selling the current one and showing previews of the next gen, just like us.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List