Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol zeroing after sight installation

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Are the brass tips on the base model replaceable, if a fellow with a machine shop wanted to make special ones?
    if you wanted to take the time to dissect it, I would think a machinist could make a new tip if it could be disassembled without breaking.

If the tip did break off you should be able to drill out the base of the tip, then tap the handle piece the tip and spring mate to. I just tried to get it out by hand and it didn’t budge.
    Last edited by omega9; 02-21-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    if you wanted to take the time to dissect it, I would think a machinist could make a new tip if it could be disassembled without breaking.

If the tip did break off you should be able to drill out the base of the tip, then tap the handle piece the tip and spring mate to. I just tried to get it out by hand and it didn’t budge.

Thanks. I have the machine shop. I was curious whether the tip(s) would just slide in and out like the $105 model that comes with a set of interchangeable tips. It sounds like that's not the case.

(I'd rather buy the $35 model and make tips the exact shape and material I want ... the tips that come with the $105 model aren't necessarily the tips I want)

Meant to post in my ‘Narrow Forum Search’ thread! 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    If you don’t like the u notch I’m not sure how you would like the speed sights that have a notch that looks like \___/ that you put a triangle in the middle of. A parallel (though smaller) would be the sights on ww1 and 2 German mausers that everybody hates.

Do you have a specific problem with the current sights that you can articulate better? For example you can’t focus on the front sight, or the notch on the rear is too large or small in relation to the front sight.
    I don’t seem to be very good at judging if that Tritium dot is equally spaced in that U notch. My groupings,.. especially with this pistol SUCK and are frequently erratic. Especially when I increase my rate of fire.
    I generally do much better with the plastic OEM glock sights on my G19 or my Walther PDP with a Holosun 509T. 😁

@Caballoflaco, those Mauser reminiscent sights you mentioned,.. Im wondering if you are referring to something similar to these type speed sights;

Name:  10203502-2ADB-4AAD-8489-CAA60483E325.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  12.3 KB

IIR, I’ve seen those referred to as speed sights in other places. Sights with a sort of wide, blacked out, shallow v that you have to center a triangular or round shaped front sight in? If so,.. you’re correct in that I wouldn’t care for, or likely fare any better with sights like that!

So to answer your question, No,.. what Im considering switching to is this 3 diamond, interlocking shaped sights that visually,.. and supposedly quickly, LOCK together when properly aligned.

Name:  7B028C33-980A-4CCD-9B34-E0B759657F5E.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  27.9 KB

With these sights, there doesn’t appear to be as much wiggle room or slack in the them to allow for easy misalignment or as much minor L/R,.. Up/Down deviation on a “Perfect” POA/POI sight alignment.

Additionally, they would appear to offer a somewhat more instinctual, quick, and potentially better accuracy sight picture for up close, Target focused,.. (read; “Oh SHIT! There’s A bad guy, point & BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG!)
    …type, close quarters reaction!

Now im certainly “noob” enough to recognize that I could be Dead Wrong about these sights! (Pun intended).

But upon a cursory look, they would seem to offer a benefit over the Hellcats U notch or even traditional pistol sights. Particularly when compared to having Me & My old assed eyes try in vain to quickly (…and under stress) determine if I’ve got equal height, equal light? 😎🤣

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts. 👍🏻
    Last edited by Chomps; 02-22-2022 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Whoopsy! Wrong thread!!! :facepalm:

Update,.. sights not centered. :facepalm:

So,.. took my pistol to the only local range with an Armorer in residence,.. and fml, seems I got the apprentice!!

I took it to the steel target range this past weekend. Couldn’t hit SHITE with it.

The new sights are not quite centered on the slide. Neither Front or rear. Both are a tiny smidge L of center. (…odd considering all the tRump memorabilia in this place!) 😉 🤣🤣🤣😡

Anyway, jokes aside, he appears to have “Scribed” the slide on either side of the dovetail notch. It’s almost Like he measured it, marked it (…or scribed on either side of the OEM sight) and then slid the sights between the marks.

Set aside that Im pretty pissed he scratched up my slide,.. I had assumed, what with him being an armorer and all, and supposedly having ALL the proper tools to do so,…. That he would use something like a set of calipers to measure whether or not the sights were centered after Roughly centering or eyeballing them. THEN, finessing the final center & set.

I’m going back this weekend to have the OLD, GRAY HAIRED DUDE re-center my sights. NOT the 20-30 something kid that did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    So,.. took my pistol to the only local range with an Armorer in residence,.. and fml, seems I got the apprentice!!

I took it to the steel target range this past weekend. Couldn’t hit SHITE with it.

The new sights are not quite centered on the slide. Neither Front or rear. Both are a tiny smidge L of center. (…odd considering all the tRump memorabilia in this place!) 😉 🤣🤣🤣😡

Anyway, jokes aside, he appears to have “Scribed” the slide on either side of the dovetail notch. It’s almost Like he measured it, marked it (…or scribed on either side of the OEM sight) and then slid the sights between the marks.

Set aside that Im pretty pissed he scratched up my slide,.. I had assumed, what with him being an armorer and all, and supposedly having ALL the proper tools to do so,…. That he would use something like a set of calipers to measure whether or not the sights were centered after Roughly centering or eyeballing them. THEN, finessing the final center & set.

I’m going back this weekend to have the OLD, GRAY HAIRED DUDE re-center my sights. NOT the 20-30 something kid that did this.
    It sounds to me like the shop you went to owes it to you to repair the damage that they did to your pistol's finish.

Over the course of the last 5 years, I have installed no less than 60 front and rear sight sets for friends, friends of friends, local law enforcement and associates. It's kind of a hobby that gives me a little extra spending money while allowing me to do something nice for friends and local law enforcement officers.

In doing so, never have I ever had to scratch a witness mark into the finish of a pistol.

The only tools needed for rear sight installation are a good set of gunsmithing files, wooden and plastic rods used for laterally drifting sites without damaging their finish, drift mallets with non-marking plastic, rubber, or brass faces, calipers, threadlocker, and a set of very small nut drivers for securing screws in front sights that are not drifted into dovetails.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

About 10% of my handguns were properly sighted from the factory.

The guns that don't have screw-adjustable sights go to a trusted, experienced gunsmith with a box or two of the carry ammo I will use for that gun (carry and range ammo may differ in POI). I ask that he centers the front sight on the slide for aesthetic reasons and do all the adjustments on the rear sight.

An experienced gunsmith will not leave any marks or damage.

Up dated update. 😎

So,.. Hellcat just wasn’t putting rounds where it was supposed to with the new Speed sights. Even after the gunsmith supposedly centered them.

According to the company the Sight picture POA/POI What’s supposed to be the very tip of the center FS diamond. When I use that hold,, all my shots were Waaay low. If I went with a combat hold, covering the desired POA with the entire diamond, that brought the rounds up where they need to be, however I couldn’t be very precise with my POI.

I contacted the company and they were very helpful,… I did an entire series of tests with a pistol benched and several different sorts of ammunition even having one of the RSO‘s shoot the pistol, benched also. Using the same prescribed point of aim. And we definitely determined that it was shooting low. So the company agreed to send me a new higher rear sights to see if it raised up my POI.

Since the first two gunsmiths to work on my Hellcat were less than impressive,.. I decided to purchase a decent sight pusher snd give it a go myself.

…short story Long, 😉. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the sights dialed in damned close. There’s some L/R deflection in my benched groupings, but I think mostly thats me. Trigger & Grip issues maybe. But I Went from putting rounds all over the target, most 2”-4” low using the recommended tip of diamond hold. To hitting bullseyes & putting 3” groups together. (…now I just need to get where I can do that shooting offhand ) lol 😉

Here’s some images from a few sessions.

Name:  57E62125-A76F-4F6E-BC6C-C3F52828AE3F.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  8DA39A31-4803-4E7C-9A5F-477B18BC8058.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  46.9 KB

You can see, all the shots landing low.
    Name:  5A3366B6-4F15-4D28-89F7-E3B5F89862B1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  49.0 KB

…After installing the new rear sights. Using same hold. Obviously I still need work on my shooting,.. but NOW? They’re in the same neighborhood Im aiming at finally. 🤣
    Name:  357BADF2-750F-4E20-B45B-6858B6A81BE0.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  FCB576E9-B365-4AAD-A259-25B773D7D3BE.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  51.2 KB
    Name:  C51CF74E-3055-4BD6-99C1-5979486537BF.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  48.1 KB

New pusher…
    Name:  1CC3CADC-739C-4680-BBE1-AAEFCE7BE481.jpg
Views: 175