Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB holster for RDS

AIWB holster for RDS

I’ve been exploring carrying a duty sized gun (P-07) with a closed emitter RDS (509t2), and am finding it a challenge because my waist is 31”. As others have observed, the square optic sticks out beyond the belt, and can print at the midline.

I have an excellent JMCK AIWB Wing-Claw 2.5 with a Darkwing for this setup. It tucks really well, but there’s a bit of optic protruding.

I spent the last few weeks trying an old self-modded JMCK George, and initially thought it was better.

Then I compared the two just now, and there’s really no comparison. Sorry George. The AIWB WC 2.5 keeps grip and optic closer to the body. I may try the Lightwing on this holster.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-18-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Bigger wedge/pillow maybe?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Bigger wedge/pillow maybe?
    In this comparison, the ACP wedges were similar. The Wing Claw 2.5 tucks the pistol better, so the grip and the optic are held into the belt better. The George does favor an optic side tuck, but the belt has to be way too tight to tuck like the WC 2.5.

The problem is a wing claw flags an open emitter optic. JM George or Certum does great with a 509T, and is indistinguishable from an RMR for me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

AIWB holster for RDS

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The problem is a wing claw flags an open emitter optic. JM George or Certum does great with a 509T, and is indistinguishable from an RMR for me.
    That's what I thought was happening too. But after going back to the WC 2.5, I'm finding it does a better job preventing the optic from sticking out (as much).

Part of it is that with a P-07/509t2 there is no way to keep the optic fully inside the belt with my waist diameter:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's what I thought was happening too. But after going back to the WC 2.5, I'm finding it does a better job preventing the optic from sticking out (as much).

Part of it is that with a P-07/509t2 there is no way to keep the optic fully inside the belt with my waist diameter:

i have the exact same problem and have come to the same conclusion; JM WC2.5. The only thing I would add is that placing my spare mag carrier just to the L, looking down, of the dot forces a softer circle rather than a peak where the optic is. I’m sure you don’t have a mag there for reasons, but figured I’d relate the info for others.

PS; my latest WC 2.5 was ordered with the same clips you have rather than pull the dot loops. The loops printed a lot more and I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

I have to remove the spacer/standoff from the claw of my JM Wing Claw to reduce the rotation of the holster. Even the small standoff over-rotates the grip and causes the MRDS to print.

I also carry close to my centerline with the MRDS lining up with the button to my pants.

I don't know how much that can be done about it. Adding another printing point is one of the downsides of carrying an optic gun.

The way my belly is shaped, I find shifting the gun to the right so my split PTD loops are on either side of the belt loops on my pants. That's where the flatest part of my belly is.

If you are on Facebook, you might want to join the PHLster Concealment Workshop ask them to help optimize your setup
    David S.

@Clusterfrack
    @David S.

I don’t think there’s anything you can do about it with a single position clip holster.

As you may know, I strongly prefer a wide double clip holster for any aggressive holster work. It helps resist rotation and helps keep the gun in a consistent place / angle.

I also like having my reload slaved and fixed in position to the gun holster for the same reason.

But the other advantage is that it acts as a wing claw on the other side and that helps smooth the waistband out (same 30-31” belt for me) even when mounting a mailbox on top.

Name:  77A7794F-ACDE-4DCF-BD21-F2626EE93B3A.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  47.0 KB

Here I mocked up a GoPro Sessions on top of the SAS slide to simulate a mailbox size.

Name:  4915353F-2B58-4866-942D-6B736B435214.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  44.6 KB

(Note, I don’t carry with this grip module as an FYI before someone aptly points out that the magwell sticks out from the waistline. )

@TOTS, @littlejerry, @David S., @JCN,

Thanks for the suggestions and input. Answers/comments:

Adding a spare mag to push the midline of the belt out is a good option. I usually use the left AIWB location for a fixed blade, or simply have it empty. I'll try adding a spare mag in a SET soft pouch.

@JCN's sidecar rig looks good for concealment, and for speedy reloads. I don't use sidecars because they get in the way when doing "ninja moves". Having the hips free is so important...

I agree about wider loops. Again a tradeoff... I'm going to try a Light Wing and PDT snap loops on the WC 2.5 and see how that balances. My AIWB draw stroke isn't very sensitive to movement of the gun in the roll axis (rotation toward or away from the rear sight), and I like having the gun move with my body.

Let's keep this thread going. I think it's a common issue now that more people are adding a RDS to their AIWB system.

User Tag List