Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning to teach, semi-formally.

Beginning to teach, semi-formally.

Not sure if this is the correct sub-form, please move if not.

Like most of us, I've known way too many "NRA Certified" old fudd idiots propagating bad info from hardware to techniques to bad legal advice. I have several people in my family and friend groups who have asked me over the years if I could teach them to shoot. Usually, it's not that they want to become a competitive shooter or even an "active self-defense practitioner." They're not looking for a new hobby, but they realize that either no gun, or a gun they've had in a sock drawer for the last 10 years might not be the best thing and that maybe it would be best to get some basic instruction.

I am happy to help provide said instruction. I enjoy helping people and enjoy teaching. I do not have a military or law enforcement background. I do have fairly significant experience with firearms from working at one of the largest and busiest Metro Atlanta area gun shops + indoor ranges for 15 years, coupled with several armorer certifications, in addition to professional training I've attended, and finally being close friends and regularly shooting with some pretty legit dudes in the industry who either are or were Mil and/or LEO instructors, SF, AMU, and other high-level shooters.

Feedback from the informal "hey, come to the range with me and I'll show you a few things" has been great. To date, I have been paid for 1 formal class where a close friend's uncles and cousins wanted me to come to their family farm where they recreationally shoot and put on a formal class. It was pretty much a basic safe handling and marksmanship class, but again, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.

I'm sure some of you here do similar things, maybe not to the level of someone like @Mr_White, but what steps might I take to make this more of a "thing?"

On another, more logistical note, I've got a hardware question. Lot's of my current pool of interested parties are folks who don't currently have guns that are looking to get one. I don't want to recommend that they buy something to bring to class that they might hate. For instance, my mother and sister both loved Airweight J-Frame .38's, so that's what they got. My wife hated it and ended up with a Sig 239DAO. Currently, my pistol collection is fairly paired down to what I actively use and consists of a G19.5 MOS w/RMR, G45 MOS w/RMR, and Ruger 22/45 Pac-Lite w/RMR. My concern is that trying to get a new gun owner/shooter into a quality dot setup is pretty dang expensive and includes what I might consider "enthusiast level" attention (battery changes, brightness adjustments, etc). Is it worth me picking up an iron-sighted G19 or G43/48 as a teaching gun to give new students a starting point? Many of these prospective students are women, my wife's friends, or my friend's wives; hence the slim Glock consideration.

Honestly, my head is spinning with some of the logistical details around this, but I keep getting asked and I genuinely want to help and (perhaps arrogantly) feel I can offer these folks a much more solid foundation than what is generally marketed at such folks. Because I'm not looking at it as a money-making gig, what I charge would be relatively low, really little more than targets and something to make the time worthwhile.

Ok enough rambling. Thoughts?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

As an NRA certified instructor in NJ with no LEO or mil background who makes decent money teaching all through word of mouth, go for it. I am yet to run into a raw beginner for this area who cares about a military or law enforcement background. I think thats more appealing for people like us who want to learn firearms self defense techniques from BTDT guys. Many beginners may find that intimidating. I took my NRA basic pistol course years ago from an ex Mil instructor and he ran the course like it was some sort of military basic training course. I never had less fun shooting. If you are kind and caring person and a good facilitator, go for it. I have made upwards of 800 bucks in one day. Its about making people, comfortable and safe and make sure they have fun.

My (educated) guess is that people who are really new to shooting, or to taking formal instruction thereof, don't give a darn whether you have .mil or LEO experience. In fact, I'd wager that most just want to learn from an experienced and confident Regular Guy. Firearms are often intimidating for people who have no experience with them, so they generally prefer to learn from someone 'relatable' rather than someone who they fear may bark orders at them, so to speak.

Well, good for you for helping folks-there’s a lot to consider! I would give some thought to your liability, especially if you take some money. Sad commentary, but that’s where we’re at in this country at this time…
    Although I get the caution you might feel concerning some NRA instructors, a certification isn’t a bad thing to have.
    On the hardware issue, particularly with brand new folks, consider an iron sighted .22. A G44 or a revolver (LCR?) takes the noise and bounce out of play. Bill Rogers used to start his “Basic” classes with a .22 revolver, and I respect him as a teacher.
    Safety, safety, safety; sounds like a cliche, but I’ve found folks appreciate the structure.
    The very best of luck!

Site Supporter
    If you are being paid or otherwise compensated for providing instruction the first thing you need to think about is liability insurance.

https://locktonaffinityoutdoor.com/d...xoCY5YQAvD_BwE

https://ftaprotect.com

The second thing to think about is medical /TCCC. Do you have a medical plan? Medical training?

You may want to set up an LLC as well.

Site Supporter
    You also may wanna focus on a particular level of shooter.

Tim Reedy at TDR training is an example of some one who specializes training in new (like me we fired a gun before) shooters.

Agree with suggestions about insurance and a medical plan in the event there’s an “oh shit.”

I think when it comes to teaching shooting it’s best to know what you want to teach and stick within your capabilities. I’ve been known as a gun guy around work for quite a while by some of my close friends. I’ve brought a few to the range with me over the years and shown them some stuff. Most of them left the experience as better, and safer, shooters than they came. I’ve never been paid and honestly don’t think I would want to, but if I was interested in making it a “side hustle” then I’d definitely start with insurance and a medical plan.

I have instructed family & friends and have no instructor certifications.

I have briefly thought about obtaining a NRA instructor certification. Not because I want to instruct for money but because I've had a few friends I have offered to help ask, "are you a NRA certified instructor"? When I respond no I've gotten the 'well then what do you know' look. I dismissed the thought because it just wasn't worth it to me to pay to get a piece of paper.

Lately I have decided that until the NRA cleans up it's act and dumps Wayne I'm not giving them a single penny.

My understanding about NRA instruction is that the instructor can NOT go off book. So if you want to offer your perspective or experience you need to do so outside of the formal NRA instruction. I have a friend who will tell his students that NRA instruction is now complete. Then he will offer his take on things, it's optional and you can leave if you wish. Whether or not that could come back to bite him in the butt?

I started instructing (NRA cert) many years ago when a family friend went and got his NRA cert and some training out at Front Sight...

He came back, and I realized I had something to offer.

My father and I both got our certs and started doing classes. We have a private range so it was a natural progression. We would book a private room at a local Amish restuarant, and then make the short drive to our property.

On a good weekend we would split $1800 or so after expenses. It was fantastic, meeting new friends, spending time with my dad, shooting, and growing the 2A community.

Saw alot of bad habits learned over many years, egos, and BS. Learning to navigate age differences and preconceived notions was educational for me.

Personally it was a time of rapid growth as a shooter, breaking things down for others, forces one to self analyze and improve.

One of my fondest memories was teaching the mother of a member of Lima company. The Marine had survived a very deadly attack back in 2005. Another great memory was a buddies sister in law, who took top shooter in class.

Teaching survivors of domestic abuse, rape, and other motivators, was heart wrenching and really highlighted the importance of self defense.

Working with folks who had different backgrounds, physical limitations, be it age, injuries, etc.

One gentleman had sat through our class about 6 times. He was a recruitment machine. He'd invite a coworker or family member and sit through class.

I always made it a point to highlight the positive, no matter how small. A well placed compliment opens up the students ability to learn.

I learned a heck of alot about myself, by helping others learn to shoot. It paid for a number of guns and cases of ammo.

Time doesn't allow it much anymore, but it was very much worth it.
    Taking a break from social media.

My understanding is one of the benefits of an NRA certification is the availability of the NRA liability insurance.
    I was told it covers any shooting instruction but nothing other than shooting, no combatives etc.....
    I am not sure if the above is accurate.

User Tag List