Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Q4429/ M1153

My 2022-purchased 147gr HST (came in newer blue and gold boxes) did an average of 961FPS from a 3.7” P365XL, which matches Molon’s data for that round quite well.

Anyone chrono the Winchester Q4429? These were available as overruns a few years ago. I got a few cases for $15/box of 50. Boxes said made to military specs +10-15% over standard 9mm pressures. My ammo had a Z prefix (ZQ4429)
    Last edited by searcher; 01-25-2023 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post

Is that Ranger T bullet really crimped as hard as it looks?

WOW. It's noticeably deformed.

EDIT: I wonder if it's a quasi cannelure in an attempt to lock the jacket and core like the HST? Hard to believe they'd crimp that hard during loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post

WOW. It's noticeably deformed.

EDIT: I wonder if it's a quasi cannelure in an attempt to lock the jacket and core like the HST? Hard to believe they'd crimp that hard during loading.
    Ranger T bullets are a reverse taper jacket (thicker at the nose, thinner at the base), and actually have an exposed lead base. The lead is essentially trapped between the jacket wrapped around the heel of the bullet, and then the "talons" wrapped around the front edge of the hollow point, and down into the cavity.

I suspect its just a good crimp. I've crimped plenty of bullets and seen similar results with my own handloads I've pulled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Yes. Winchester just loves them some heavy crimps.

Member of the General Population

Regarding the Winchester rounds that look over-crimped. We had a delivery of Winchester 180 grain FMJ ammo to my old department that had rounds crimped just like the Ranger T round above. The accuracy of those rounds was terrible as the rounds would all keyhole, even as close as 5 yards. I imagine the crimping damaged the jacket or the relationship the jacket had to the core. We had to shoot a Qual with duty ammo for the instructors one day after discovering the issue.

Having said that, I’ve noticed a lot of current ammo is crimped like that. If you have a bullet puller you might look at some current ammo, you might be surprised.

Matt

Site Supporter
    I chronoed Q4392 a couple times, the 147 gr bonded load. Box states 995 fps.

12/17/19 - 43*
    PX4 compact 3.3" - avg 916 fps
    M9 4.9" - avg 988 fps

2/11/23 - 50*
    92 Centurion 4.3" - avg 985 fps

Same date last month I ran some other JHP loads, same gun.
    HST 124 - 1183
    HST 124+p - 1181
    Gold Dot 124+p - 1230

Not the same projectile, but it's seemed to keep good velocity compared to any of the other loadings I've run it next to.

What's interesting is that the flat-point M1152 115 grain +P+ NATO Winchester MHS training loads have a super-heavy case crimp- and this is one factor credited for their excellent accuracy.

I actually think it's to ensure no chance of setback for the projectile, which would probably spit primers or rupture cases being north of 39.7 KSI pressures. It might also help make up for the lack of sealant between the case and projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    What's interesting is that the flat-point M1152 115 grain +P+ NATO Winchester MHS training loads have a super-heavy case crimp- and this is one factor credited for their excellent accuracy.
    Credited by whom? What is their definition of "excellent accuracy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    .... being north of 39.7 KSI pressures.
    Is that case-mouth pressure or conformal pressure?

Member of the General Population

Credited by whom? What is their definition of "excellent accuracy"?
    Several articles, probably none of which would pass your rigorous muster. However, I have found it to be quite good, having shot about 2300 rounds of it in 2020. Edited: Sub 0.6" 5-shot groups at 25 yards off a bench with a VP9L, for example- and I can produce receipts.

Is that case-mouth pressure or conformal pressure?

Not specified in articles citing the figure, such as this one. https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...m-luger-loads/

From the article linked:
    Using an Oehler Model 43 and firing the new ammunition out of a 4.7"-barreled P320-M17, M1152 with the 115-gr. bullet was at 1326 f.p.s. and 449 ft.-lbs. of energy
    Last edited by Archer1440; 03-02-2023 at 07:17 PM.

User Tag List