Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing getting in a blur for a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Try what I call focus-unfocus-refocus.

Look very intently at a small spot on an object and pay attention to what muscles around your eyes tense up. Learn to relax those muscles as you draw then 'refocus' them once you clear on where you're intending to hit. This helps avoid tunnel vision and 'blur' for me. You never actually lose vision focus so the name isn't very accurate, but I haven't come up with anything closer.
    Great point. One thing that helps when shooting (and fighting) is opening my eyes wide.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

OP, have you shot much with a timer?

Simply doing draws and single/multiple shots, on different targets, at different distances, under time, pays dividends in this regard.

On a silhouette, work from just drawing and hitting it fast, to drawing and hitting THE SPOT YOU WANT TO HIT fast.

But I agree with the other poster who said you did good (you killed it, right?).

I definitely need to work on spot shooting and spend more time with a timer. That mixed with time in the woods should lead to helping for the next time

To my mind, this is why hunting is important. I think the buck fever analogy is accurate. Visualization is important, but not an end all be all. I remember the first time I killed a hog with a knife. In my mind’s eye, I used my dominant hand to hold the knife. When the time and opportunity came, I had to use the other strong hand. Still worked, but the fight will very likely not be what you imagine.

At any rate, inquiring minds want to know, what did the 9mm do to the hog? Do you have sausage in the freezer?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    That could be it. When hunting deer I have the same goal. I want to make a good ethical shot without much meat loss. We look at wild hogs differently and stopping them from destroying property and multiplying.

I like the idea of a smaller target. I know they saying of aim small miss small. I think I just need to maybe try multiple smaller targets and have someone call numbers and take shots on a timer.
    Do you hunt mostly from a stand?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Do you hunt mostly from a stand?
    The past few years I have hunted from a stand. When my family owned land I preferred to walk and hunt

User Tag List