Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: .380 Sig P365 just announced

Quote Originally Posted by cclark View Post
    .380 too anemic or are there loads out there that perform acceptably? Gold dot, hornaday, etc.?
    9mm Luger has around 40% more wounding potential than .380 ACP, but roughly twice the recoil.

Pocket pistol cartridges like the .25, .32, & .380 ACP don't really benefit from hollow point ammunition like larger and more powerful handgun cartridges can. Expansion is less reliable but can cause underpenetration when it occurs.

I suggest one either stick with plain full metal jacket or ammo which uses the Hornady 90 gr. XTP hollow point.
    The Hornady bullet doesn't always perform better than FMJ, but it is available to handloaders and has been offered in factory loadings from several manufacturers at an affordable price.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A friend just got a new 365 .380 and has been experiencing reliability problems. Between that and reviews I have read, I get the impression that the .380 isn't as reliable as the 365 in 9.
    Disappointed, but not surprised. I think I'm more concerned with the dubious reliability of these small pistol cartridges than I am with their questionable terminal ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post

Disappointed, but not surprised. I think I'm more concerned with the dubious reliability of these small pistol cartridges than I am with their questionable terminal ballistics.
    Reliability trumps bullet performance in my book.

In addition, the target market of recoil sensitive users is likely less adept at manipulations generally and especially clearing stoppages.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    In addition to my previous posts upthread I have shot 400 rounds of PMC ball with one failure to feed of that ammo.
    I'm sorry I don't keep super accurate round counts, so I'm estimating by how many boxes I have left -- I don't buy 380 much. (I have some more on the way.)
    I believe I've shot an additional 150-200 rounds of Fiocchi ball with no issues.

So I guess in total I'm around 700-750 rounds. Not a lot yet.

I sent the remaining Underwood xtp rounds I mentioned up thread back to them and they were determined to be in-spec. Underwood was very gracious in its customer service.

I had better luck with one 25 round box of American Gunner xtp, with no failures to feed. The ammo certainly seemed a little less "hot" than the standard power Underwood stuff. However, of course, after I bought 100-125 rounds more of the American Gunner (it is actually relatively cheap) I did have 2-3 failures to feed out of (I think) 75 rounds. So a lesser rate of failure, but still not good.

The malfs I had with the American Gunner xtp rounds occurred with the flat, no finger extension magazine, primarily on the second round. (I cleaned both mags).

Because I didn't want to spend 50 bucks for a magazine, I bought a pinky extension from tactical development (and no, Bob and Jay, it did not raise the capacity).

https://tactical.dev/collections/all...inky-extension

It seems to work fine. I haven't put any more of the XTP ammo I have through it yet, though. My guess is that, to the extent I carry it, it will be with ball. It might work better with the Critical Defense, but I'm not sure it's worth buying for the cost/benefit.

As I mentioned upthread I do have an injured hand -- I type with six fingers... So malfs are not uncommon for me. (And yes, I typically carry a j-frame).

I will say this -- the gun is really nice to shoot and very accurate. Except for the xtp stuff, the malfs that I've had haven't been so frequent to be a pain in the ass (see Sig 290RS 380). The malfunctions are all failures to feed without going fully into battery and easy for me to clear.

The difficulty that I had when racking the slide earlier has resolved with the arachnigrip and the slide to barrel breaking in. The difficulty I had when racking was more from the tight fit, rather than a stiff recoil spring. Once the slide starts to move it isn't bad at all. Likewise, for me, to the extent that there have been malfunctions, I haven't had to fight the recoil spring to clear it. (Hopefully that makes sense).

The magazines are slightly easier to load, but still a pain. Because I've been looking at this gun with a suspect eye, I load them to full capacity when shooting, so I have to use a Maglula, which I don't really like.

Anyway, I still really enjoy the gun, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    The difficulty that I had when racking the slide earlier has resolved with the arachnigrip and the slide to barrel breaking in. The difficulty I had when racking was more from the tight fit, rather than a stiff recoil spring. Once the slide starts to move it isn't bad at all.
    One thing I found helping with this specific condition is a generous use of Hoppes No.9 for a little while. Shoot a couple of mags, break it up, wipe the old oil, dollop the new, in particular on the barrel hood and cam. Never seen any confirmation of this on any forums, but it helps the break-in for me. I even control-tested it on two identical Glock 42. After a period of time I wipe it all off and start a normal lubrication, following the manual if the lubrication regime is spelled out (like on PPQ).

This sounds like the stupidest gun range lore for sure: No.9 is not an abrasive that helps polish anything. I suspect that the oil somehow carries away the products of the initial wear. But I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    One thing I found helping with this specific condition is a generous use of Hoppes No.9 for a little while. Shoot a couple of mags, break it up, wipe the old oil, dollop the new, in particular on the barrel hood and cam. Never seen any confirmation of this on any forums, but it helps the break-in for me. I even control-tested it on two identical Glock 42. After a period of time I wipe it all off and start a normal lubrication, following the manual if the lubrication regime is spelled out (like on PPQ).

This sounds like the stupidest gun range lore for sure: No.9 is not an abrasive that helps polish anything. I suspect that the oil somehow carries away the products of the initial wear. But I don't know.
    Didnt the 9 have the same issues when if first cam out. I would give it a year or two for sig to get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Does the 365 .380 sorta kinda fill the same niche as did the 80-series Berettas?
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...-duty-pistols/

365 offers better sights and more capacity.
    Has anyone tried the 12 round mags?

Site Supporter
    I put another 249 rounds through my gun the past few weeks. 49 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP (for some reason there was 1 round missing out of a box) and the rest a mix of Fiocchi, Speer and PMC ball.

No issues in this last batch of rounds, unlike the issues I had upthread. I think I'm approaching around 1000 rounds.

Just one datapoint, of course.
    Last edited by idahojess; 10-23-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pi3 View Post
    Has anyone tried the 12 round mags?
    Yes. Mine runs 100% with them.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Not every old person is going to shoot you with 9 or 38. Might be a 380 or even a .22.

Trip to the ER in any event. They'll be asking some questions about a gun shot wound.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List