Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Rx Glasses Thread

Site Supporter

Another Rx Glasses Thread

After describing a recent match where a guy took a copper fragment over his eye (embedded - blood) - my dear wife suggests I up grade to dedicated shooting glasses instead of my normal glasses (which are shatter resistant) but don't give side protection.

I looked at various thread but wonder what the 'state of the art' is. I have cataract replaced lens but wear progressives for near vision. I don't want dedicated Rx for 'shooting' as I want to shoot with what I wear everyday.

Any suggestions as to a brand, company, etc.?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-16-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Safety prescription glasses with a Z87 rating and clip on side shields is what I use. These can be stylish and the side shields can be removed for daily wear. The frames and lenses both need to be rated. Your optometrist should be able to fit you.

I'll preface this by saying I am not now nor have I ever been sponsored by these guys. I am fully aware of the annoying history of some of their reps throughout our industry. Despite that, they make great products in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of Rudy Project. I'm not sure if their RX options are Z87 rated. Their "RX Direct" options are quite nice and have a large lens area for most models.

The Rydon RX model is the one you'll see most frequently associated with shooting. They have excellent side protection.

For normal daily use, I've been using their Vulcan model with the RX Direct lenses for ~3-4yrs now. I love them. Modular, replaceable components, minimal view obstruction due to the full lenses without rims. I'd doubt this model is ballistic-rated considering the non-rimmed design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I'll preface this by saying I am not now nor have I ever been sponsored by these guys. I am fully aware of the annoying history of some of their reps throughout our industry. Despite that, they make great products in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of Rudy Project. I'm not sure if their RX options are Z87 rated. Their "RX Direct" options are quite nice and have a large lens area for most models.

The Rydon RX model is the one you'll see most frequently associated with shooting. They have excellent side protection.

For normal daily use, I've been using their Vulcan model with the RX Direct lenses for ~3-4yrs now. I love them. Modular, replaceable components, minimal view obstruction due to the full lenses without rims. I'd doubt this model is ballistic-rated considering the non-rimmed design.
    Could not agree more. I've seen wearing Rydon's (cycling and shooting) for several years. There are at least four prescription options:
    1. a separate prescription snap in lens that sits behind your preferred "color". Even with anti-reflective coatings you can get internal reflections, but I have used these in the past. The main advantage is the ability to swap out lens color. When I was developing cataracts I tried many different colors using these inserts (bottom line: nothing help with my poor pre-surgery vision).
    2. RX-direct: direct replacement for non-prescription lens without need of an adapter
    3. Optical Dock: robust frame around the prescription lens. I have these and don't find any loss of peripheral vision
    4. Optical Dock 2: has a slimmer frame than the Dock. I believe the Dock is required for strong prescriptions
    5. Other: I have a pair of lens that use an adapter to the Rydon frames the lens being retained by a very strong filament around the lens perimeter. I haven't had any issue with this configuration, but it's likely the Dock and Dock 2 have made this configuration obsolete.

In addition to buying gear from Rudy Project direct (they have discount codes) you should give Sight for Sport Eyes in Portland a call. The are, I believe a Rudy Project dealer and do prescription lens using RP blanks and other colors if that's your preference. My last pair of Dock monovision lenses including the lens frame was $210 out the door in Yellow #3. With cataracts and shooting irons I can't have a dark lens because I need my pupil stopped down to increase my depth of field.

With irons I'm still trying to figure out the best prescription. Started with distance and fuzzy sights, went to a +1.5 diopter add for crisp front sight and currently experimenting with a +0.75 diopter add as a compromise. The problem with 1.5 diopter under poor lighting conditions is that the distant targets with poor background are really hard to pick up. To add insult to injury I'm having left eye surgery in a week or so, but who needs a left eye for irons

If I get a chance I'll post pictures of the configurations I have in hand.

I like Oakleys. Oakleysi.com has a discount program for mil/le. Big discount from retail. Most designs wrap around, and some come with z87 rated lenses. Prescriptions too.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    I have the Rudy project, i think Rydon, shooting glasses kit and really like them but....

They are sport shield style, bugeyes, not what I would call everyday wear glasses but your fashion sense may differ.

There are limits to the prescriptions that they can fit. Turns out my optometrist at the time was a little optimistic and my lenses are a bit too thick making things a little distorted and giving me headaches if I wear them long.

As to the frames I really like them and the interchangable lenses are handy - having options when switching between daylight, twilight, and nightime.

I buy my glasses at Sam's Club and they have frames with side shields for sale. I just bought a second pair of glasses, one for normal wear and the other for shooting.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Both Oakley and ESS have RX inserts that sit behind the impact rated lenses. Can’t speak for Oakley, but for my ESS Crossbow’s my local eye doc can cut lenses for the inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I like Oakleys. Oakleysi.com has a discount program for mil/le. Big discount from retail. Most designs wrap around, and some come with z87 rated lenses. Prescriptions too.
    You can also get prescription inserts for their Mil Issue glasses

I think it also depends on your prescription. If you're highly nearsighted and have a strong prescription, most, if not all, of the wraparound lenses will not work. My prescription is a -8.00 diopter, so wraparounds just won't work with that kind of prescription. I had to get the smaller prescription inserts to wear behind wraparounds. Mine are Smith Optics. I got them a few years ago and forget the model (Aegis Compact?), but I don't know if they offer prescription inserts for them anymore.

I know it's not what you asked, but what works best for me, though, are contact lenses with a good pair of wraparounds. That way I maintain peripheral vision and can still see if I need to temporarily remove the eye protection for cleaning/adjustment.

User Tag List