Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight without a “low” setting?

Site Supporter
    Is anybody getting a Cloud Defensive MCH on March 4th?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I was considering it since I knew they were going to have a model with a high and low mode and I was hoping they’d have something innovative or at least acceptable for the switching. Unfortunately, based on what they said on Instagram it’s going to use tapping the tailcap to switch between low and high with low coming on first, and that is not something I’m remotely interested in.

Of they had gone with something like the Surefire gas pedal or even something where tightening the head gives you high and loosening gives you low I probably would have bought one.

The high only version still looks good, but doesn’t really give me much of an advantage over my Modlite.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Unfortunately, based on what they said on Instagram it’s going to use tapping the tailcap to switch between low and high with low coming on first, and that is not something I’m remotely interested in.
    W. T. F.?

Low-First is what you want for an Admin light, and Only an Admin light. And an Admin light doesn't need to be nearly that large or brighter than the sun.
    I use the SF Stiletto Pro for my Admin light and it's practically perfect in that role but it's backed up with a Modlite OKW for defensive use.

Site Supporter
    I was considering it since I knew they were going to have a model with a high and low mode and I was hoping they’d have something innovative or at least acceptable for the switching. Unfortunately, based on what they said on Instagram it’s going to use tapping the tailcap to switch between low and high with low coming on first, and that is not something I’m remotely interested in.

Of they had gone with something like the Surefire gas pedal or even something where tightening the head gives you high and loosening gives you low I probably would have bought one.

The high only version still looks good, but doesn’t really give me much of an advantage over my Modlite.
    I'm considering the high only/high-candela to carry instead of my Malkoff Bodyguard but I like the clip on the Bodyguard better. I don't need it but I like flashlights.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    W. T. F.?

Low-First is what you want for an Admin light, and Only an Admin light. And an Admin light doesn't need to be nearly that large or brighter than the sun.
    I use the SF Stiletto Pro for my Admin light and it's practically perfect in that role but it's backed up with a Modlite OKW for defensive use.
    Agreed. I would have been out even if high was first though. I don’t like having to cycle through different output levels with multiple clicks.

A Modlite plhv2 with the Surefire gas pedal switch would be my perfect light, but I’ll using my cell phone or smart watch for low mode and having a high only light vs having one with suboptimal switching.

My EDC kit for the last few months.

I'm a kind of a big dude so I can get away with the large light. The smaller 18350 version apparently has the same output for less time, and might be preferable for normal size humans. I don't wear tight pants, so haven't felt the need for a lower profile light.

The Stiletto Pro is a nice little light that's easy to carry, but more of a task light than a tactical light, IMO. I couldn't positively ID a critter (bobcat? coyote? neighbor's dog?) from about 50 yards in my back yard with it. My experience is that it's not up to the task of hunting critters in my half acre back yard, so it's probably too much compromise for a Wal Mart parking lot.

Name:  IMG_5506.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  68.8 KB
    David S.

So it looks like they are expanding their market.

My most used full sized light is a G2X pro. Easy to toggle from low to high as needed one handed. Always comes on low first. Has a good high when needed. Works for my utility needs.

I like very much the gas pedal Surefires (proprietary I believe) but NOTHING stacks to a single output for Tactical use. IMHO

Vending Machine Operator
    My Surefire 6PX Tactical got here. It’s super awesome. Nicest flashlight I’ve ever owned that isn’t a WML. Built like a tank, super bright, single function, exactly what I wanted.

Plus I was able to get an early Presidents’ Day sale at Middletown Outdoors so I got it for $69.95 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I'm getting one. I had been debating a Modlite, and the high power only version of this light is exactly what I want with the ND protectors and deep-carry clip.

Surefire for my urban lights, Streamlight for my task lights, and Modlite for rural tasks.

My only issue with Modlite (besides the paycheck pain) is the recharge only. I keep waiting or them to drop a "dual fuel" style light so I can use CR123's and 18650s.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

User Tag List