Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: LTT SCD

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How are those of you using the LTT SCD liking it at this point?
    I installed the LTT SCD on on my G17.3. I find that it looks and functions just like the Tau SCD that I had acquired years ago.

My understanding is that there are two generations of TauDevGroup SCDs, differing in the thickness of the "flange" that fits into the slot and the depth of the recess for the striker spacer sleeve.

Original (pre 2019): 0.092" +/- 0.002"
    Newer (2019+): 0.097" +/- 0.002" with a deeper circular recess

It is possible for the original generation of SCDs to slip down under recoil--especially with tolerance stacking due to a larger slide slot. If a Glock & SCD are used for life-safety purposes, I would measure the flange, and replace any thin SCDs with the LTT units.

Name:  G43.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  24.4 KBName:  G20-SCD.jpeg
Views: 791
Size:  9.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    I took some measurements of a stock Gen 4 and Gen 5 backplate along with those of a Gen 1-4 SCD (Tau manufacture) and Gen 5 SCD (LTT manufacture) with a digital caliper. Hoping this will help some who are wondering if they can use a Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 1-4 Glock. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics and if my handwriting isn't legible. Let me know if needed and I can type out the measurements or try to get some better pictures.

Attachment 86248

Outside of the obvious difference in the shape of the right side notch, what I'm seeing is that the notch on the left side of both the OEM Gen 4 backplate and on the Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCD is slightly larger than their Gen 5 counterparts (.01" larger comparing the OEM backplates and .0135" larger comparing the SCDs). Right side notch on the Gen 5 SCD provides plenty of clearance for Gen 1-4 Glock frames.

I installed the Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 4 G19 to test fit and function/compatibility and it does work but is a little tight due to the narrower left side notch on the Gen 5 SCD. It runs into a slight clearance issue on the inside edge of the Gen 4 ejector housing and what appears as a bit of a flange on the rail (this same flange is not present on a Gen 5 ejector housing). A slight push on the gadget will push it past the flange but it will not swing back to the fully closed position freely.

Outside of the stickiness when pushing the SCD forward, function is unaffected in the sample of one that I've tried it on. Speaking only for me, if I had a Gen 1-4 gun and the lack of an SCD was preventing me from carrying it then I'd grab the LTT gadget and slightly file/sand enough material off of the ejector housing flange to make it flush with the remainder of the rail and use the gadget without concern.

One final thing that I've noticed on both of the LTT SCDs that I picked up, the flange that fits into the slot in the backplate is around .005" thicker and the hinged plate is around .003" wider. It isn't much but I've been able to tell that they're a more snug fit than my Gen 1-4 Tau Dev SCDs and exhibit less play during install/removal. Overall awesome products and I'm ecstatic that they're back on the market as I was in the boat of not switching to carrying my Gen 5 until I got a gadget back on it.

Flange on the Gen 4 ejector housing rail that causes slight interference with the Gen 5 SCD
    Attachment 86250

Gen 5 SCD on Gen 4 19
    Attachment 86251
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My understanding is that there are two generations of TauDevGroup SCDs, differing in the thickness of the "flange" that fits into the slot and the depth of the recess for the striker spacer sleeve.
    That is very interesting, first I can recall hearing of it, thanks for mentioning it. I had an issue last year with the SCD slipping down on a Gen 5 Zev RMR slide (OEM internals). Could not be pushed down manually, but after a mag or so it would end up out of battery as the SCD slid down under recoil. That was my first experience with an aftermarket slide and will also be my last. I've been using SCD's since they were released and have never seen an issue with OEM slides and the SCD in many 10's of thousands of rounds, but that experience made me very aware of just how shallow that recess is, and caused me to wonder about how the mass of the SCD (vs. OEM slide cover plate), striker spring weight, deformation of the spacer sleeve due to wear, and other factors could potentially influence reliability. I'll definitely be measuring my SCDs...my earliest ones were sold with my Gen 4 guns, but some of my Gen 5's are probably pre-2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Original (pre 2019): 0.092" +/- 0.002"
    Newer (2019+): 0.097" +/- 0.002" with a deeper circular recess

It is possible for the original generation of SCDs to slip down under recoil--especially with tolerance stacking due to a larger slide slot. If a Glock & SCD are used for life-safety purposes, I would measure the flange, and replace any thin SCDs with the LTT units.

Name:  G43.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  24.4 KBName:  G20-SCD.jpeg
Views: 791
Size:  9.8 KB

Yes, this occured with my sample of 43xs and 48s. I have a 48 with silver slide that the TAU scd worked and functioned fine in. I tossed the same SCD on my new 43x and 48 with black slides and they slide down during recoil.
    I'll have to order the new LTT scd for the slimline pistols.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    Don’t even have a Glock at this time, but I have two LTT SCDs on the way.

I had an old Tau Gen 5 SCD that I bought years ago and never used. And recently, I bought a new LTT Gen 5 SCD.

I finally got a pair of Gen 5 glocks. I installed the tau one into the first glock with no trouble. It just slide and snaps into place.

The new LTT refused to snap/lock into position.

I removed both SCDs and the LTT to compare. I decided to try swapping the guns I tried them in. And this time, both SCDs installed fine.

I’m a bit concerned the LTT SCD didn’t snap in properly in one of my glocks. But no big deal, it seems to work in the other one. If I were going to buy more LTT SCDs, I’d likely take the time to caliper the one I got, compare to Tau and email LTT. But I don’t want to spend an hour on it. If I’m the only person to have such a problem then it’s possible my SCD is a little out of spec and it’s within acceptable failure tolerances of a large batch of them. Or something is off with the glock a slight amount.

Definitely possible it’s user error on my part. Likely most probable. I don’t know. I thought these just slid in and clicked in place? I’ve installed far more of these than I care to admit on the Internet in gen 3 guns, and the tau Gen 5 gave me the same immediate click on insertion. The LTT gave me ten minutes of grief until I tried swapping guns and had it work the first time in the second gun.

If it fits on one gun but not the other that seems to prove there was variation in the guns. I don't imagine Glock places a high priority on backplate fit tolerances.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    If it fits on one gun but not the other that seems to prove there was variation in the guns. I don't imagine Glock places a high priority on backplate fit tolerances.

Maybe @LangdonTactical can give us some insight .

If there is an issue with the SCD no doubt they’ll make it right, but my thought also is that it might be the gun and not the SCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I had an old Tau Gen 5 SCD that I bought years ago and never used. And recently, I bought a new LTT Gen 5 SCD.

I finally got a pair of Gen 5 glocks. I installed the tau one into the first glock with no trouble. It just slide and snaps into place.

The new LTT refused to snap/lock into position.

I removed both SCDs and the LTT to compare. I decided to try swapping the guns I tried them in. And this time, both SCDs installed fine.

I’m a bit concerned the LTT SCD didn’t snap in properly in one of my glocks. But no big deal, it seems to work in the other one. If I were going to buy more LTT SCDs, I’d likely take the time to caliper the one I got, compare to Tau and email LTT. But I don’t want to spend an hour on it. If I’m the only person to have such a problem then it’s possible my SCD is a little out of spec and it’s within acceptable failure tolerances of a large batch of them. Or something is off with the glock a slight amount.

Definitely possible it’s user error on my part. Likely most probable. I don’t know. I thought these just slid in and clicked in place? I’ve installed far more of these than I care to admit on the Internet in gen 3 guns, and the tau Gen 5 gave me the same immediate click on insertion. The LTT gave me ten minutes of grief until I tried swapping guns and had it work the first time in the second gun.
    Tom Jones (Tau Development Group) inspected our SCD and said they were perfect. The "snap in" part is really the way the striker spacer sleeve pops into the SCD, likely nothing to do with the slide and if you swapped them again they would likely fit fine as well.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Still waiting for more SCDs to get back in stock 😪.

Does anyone know if the SCD works with the Timney trigger?

User Tag List