Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: LTT SCD

The Gen 5 ones are actually in stock right now.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Josh - Just FYI, based on my and at least one other person's experience on this board, LTT's email notification thing is non-functional. I recommend you check their website on a regular basis to see when they come back in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    The Gen 5 ones are actually in stock right now.
    Thank you and Thank you!

Josh

Only tangentially related, but I had a Tau SCD break last night. The part that "swings" detached from the rest of the SCD and vanished during live fire. I didn't realize until I finished the string.

The SCD was on a Gen 3 G19 with 5600 rounds. Previously it had been on a G17 and another G19, so probably 10,000 rounds total, plus fairly regular dryfire.

Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would have been operational. But I was short on time, so I switched to another G19 to finish the range session. Once at home, I installed an OEM backplate. I'll try to get a replacement SCD from LTT, but I don't see the Gen 3/4 listed currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Only tangentially related, but I had a Tau SCD break last night. The part that "swings" detached from the rest of the SCD and vanished during live fire. I didn't realize until I finished the string.

The SCD was on a Gen 3 G19 with 5600 rounds. Previously it had been on a G17 and another G19, so probably 10,000 rounds total, plus fairly regular dryfire.

Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would still have been operational. For now, I installed an OEM backplate until I can get a replacement SCD from LTT.
    Thanks for that update. Useful info.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would have been operational. But I was short on time, so I switched to another G19 to finish the range session. Once at home, I installed an OEM backplate. I'll try to get a replacement SCD from LTT, but I don't see the Gen 3/4 listed currently.
    IIRC:

When Todd and crew designed the SCD, one of the features was that a parts failure would still leave you with a functional weapon.

Site Supporter
    Wonder why it broke and what could be done to prevent this from occurring with other SCDs.

Site Supporter
    Any users of the LTT Gen 5 SCDs seeing any rust/oxidation anywhere?

I had an issue yesterday with my EDC where the SCD was locked up and would not hinge. It impeded the rearward motion of the trigger to the point that I had to pull the trigger hard enough that it actually moved the slide rearward out of battery before the trigger bar released the striker and the slide came forward. It was during dry fire after not having live fired in a while but it had only been about a week since I manipulated the trigger/gadget on this gun. I typically use another gun for dry fire to avoid administrative unloading/loading but was going to wipe down and lube my carry gun and finding this was fairly alarming.

I took the slide off and had to pry the gadget open with my thumb and noticed some rust on the side cross-section of the hinge plate so not sure if the rust in the gap between it and the backplate slot is what prevented it from hinging or if there was rust in the pin's channel. I forced it closed again and swiveled it a few times to limber it up then tried to take it apart to no avail so I dropped some Eezox into the gaps and let it soak overnight and was finally able to pry it out of the backplate channel this morning. I plan on hitting it hard with at least a nylon brush and Eezox all over the surfaces to try and solve/prevent future rust. Any other thoughts on how to prevent recurrence?

Not bashing the LTT gadgets, I should probably be checking it more frequently given the summer is now here and the gun is seeing more sweat in the holster but the finish is different than that of the Tau SCDs which I've never had one show rust on despite being EDC'd and seeing sweat, humidity, salt air, etc. I thought maybe the slide itself could be the culprit, it's the only cerakoted pistol slide I have, but I'm not seeing any oxidation anywhere else exposed to the same environment (rear sight dovetail, extractor, striker channel, etc.).
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Wonder why it broke and what could be done to prevent this from occurring with other SCDs.
    It's the weak point, the pin. Not much you can do over time as it's a small metal piece that is used as the pivot. 10K rounds is a good run for something that small.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    Any users of the LTT Gen 5 SCDs seeing any rust/oxidation anywhere?

I had an issue yesterday with my EDC where the SCD was locked up and would not hinge. It impeded the rearward motion of the trigger to the point that I had to pull the trigger hard enough that it actually moved the slide rearward out of battery before the trigger bar released the striker and the slide came forward. It was during dry fire after not having live fired in a while but it had only been about a week since I manipulated the trigger/gadget on this gun. I typically use another gun for dry fire to avoid administrative unloading/loading but was going to wipe down and lube my carry gun and finding this was fairly alarming.

I took the slide off and had to pry the gadget open with my thumb and noticed some rust on the side cross-section of the hinge plate so not sure if the rust in the gap between it and the backplate slot is what prevented it from hinging or if there was rust in the pin's channel. I forced it closed again and swiveled it a few times to limber it up then tried to take it apart to no avail so I dropped some Eezox into the gaps and let it soak overnight and was finally able to pry it out of the backplate channel this morning. I plan on hitting it hard with at least a nylon brush and Eezox all over the surfaces to try and solve/prevent future rust. Any other thoughts on how to prevent recurrence?

Not bashing the LTT gadgets, I should probably be checking it more frequently given the summer is now here and the gun is seeing more sweat in the holster but the finish is different than that of the Tau SCDs which I've never had one show rust on despite being EDC'd and seeing sweat, humidity, salt air, etc. I thought maybe the slide itself could be the culprit, it's the only cerakoted pistol slide I have, but I'm not seeing any oxidation anywhere else exposed to the same environment (rear sight dovetail, extractor, striker channel, etc.).
    I would reach out to LTT and let them know. I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you to exchange it so they can do some analysis on it.
    If the coating is the problem, they would likely want to address it with the finish vendor.
    I have no idea whether they are outsourcing the fabrication and finish or doing some or all in house.

Even if you are one of those folks that sweat higher or lower than normal pH, I'd want to know how often that causes a problem if I'm LTT.

Thanks for the heads up and reminder to lube.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Even if you are one of those folks that sweat higher or lower than normal pH, I'd want to know how often that causes a problem if I'm LTT.
    I must be one of those folks.

LTT responded that they're not sure what would cause the issue and there's "no reason for them to to rust other than someone that has very corrosive sweat". LTTs coating is said to be black oxide as well so they should be the same finish as the Tau Dev Gadgets though the appearance is a glossier black than my original SCDs.

Noted, I'll have to give up drinking battery acid I guess and be sure to keep the gadgets lubed.
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

User Tag List