Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Are you going to be outside all day or moving into a 17th century house? I wear jeans, tank top undershirt and a t-shirt in the summer heat, humidity, and all! Because there's never prolonged period of time when I'm in the outdoor heat. Home = AC. Car = AC. Any store = AC. Really the only place there isn't an AC is the 30 second walk from building to the car. Unless I'm mowing the lawn or taking my dog for an extended walk in the mid day humidity I don't think I ever break a sweat and the summers here are 90+ with high humidity most of the time

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Summers here (where the OP is moving) are 100+.

The sun is strong enough that your car’s AC will not keep up if you are in the car all day.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Summers here (where the OP is moving) are 100+.

The sun is strong enough that your car’s AC will not keep up if you are in the car all day.
    So basically the same thing. All summer here is 98, 95, 99, 92, 101... Humidity is up there too. I drive a large dark color suv so Im well aware of the sun in the summer. Unless you have a car without AC it should keep up just fine. Also, I'm guessing he's not going to be living in the car I don't think they make cars with specific ACs just for that region. Besides that wasn't the point.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I wear these all the time. I use the graphite because it is colored light enough not to soak up the sun but dark enough to not show dirt too much. It's also available in long sleeve to protect your arms. They are 50 UPF.

I have carried AIWB with a tuckable holster by blousing the front of the Tshirt.

Site Supporter
    I use untucked shirts, preferably square-bottomed, and cargo pants or jeans or Dockers-style slacks. I’ve concealed a 4” N frame and two speedloaders OWB this way with no problem. Definitely wear something under the shirt, I’m okay with cotton but the technical materials are better. As noted above, hydration is important, and if you’re going to be outside in the heat for a while, you’ll need to add electrolytes.

So, it sounds like my current summer wear may be doable - maybe a lighter t shirt than I wear now, but a unbuttoned collared shirt over that. I have a half dozen very lightweight Wrangler brand short sleeved shirts that I picked up from Wally World years ago - the patterns are subdued but disruptive. I was assuming that even those over a lightweight T shirt might be too much - I just ordered those linked Hanes shirts.

By pocket carry, I was thinking a 26 in cargo pants or shorts - not a mousegun - but that was a good point about the cargo pockets being very low.

I will try to make my current methods work with adjustments as needed. Actually, in the winter I’m doing fine here with an unbuttoned light flannel over a t shirt.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Untucked shirts get it done in GA. And that leaves room for a lot of viable options from sub-compacts to service pistols. Your garments
    and holsters may change but your choice of pistols may not have to all that much. I know a former Mil guy in south GA that carries 5" 1911s almost exclusively year round and rarely uses IWB. Straight drop OWB and an open unbuttoned shirt. He makes it look more stylish than my sloppy untucked T's and fishing shirts.
    Also Tshirts with Hawaiian Shirts over it. I have turned Hawaiian shirts into my personal fashion statement.

Make Magnum PI proud.

Site Supporter
    Good point about long sleeves! Whenever I was out for a long period of time, I wore long sleeve moisture wicking ones. I did the skin cancer thing once and was scrupulous about precautions.

Columbia had some good ones but expensive - I looked for them when there were sales.

As an aside, it took awhile to find a good sunscreen. I was using Neutragena and then it gave me a horrific skin reaction. Settled on Badger suncreens and they worked.

Do your lips also. Didn't wear shorts at matches. Too much crap flying around. Wore tropic weight cargo pants. Different folks sell them. Note your black gun if it get sun exposure gets hot.

Oh you will learn about hydration in this state! Just don't forget the other micros along with it:

Sodium, Potassium, a little Sugar can also help, sometimes a little Magnesium. LMNT is a great example, but not rocket science and you can easily make yourself.

All good clothing suggestions above, so I don't have much else to add on the clothing aspect other than I'm a big fan of the fishing shirts and "dry-fit" type pants, shorts and shirts. I'm in Texas myself and have also lived in Florida, Puerto Rico and the Mississippi Gulf Coast - all very hot and humid places. The only thing I'll add is that with high humidity, you may sweat a lot, and that sweat can soak your holster and pistol grip, even with so-called wicking undershirts. If you think about it, the shirts that wick sweat away will transfer the sweat outward and away from your body and onto the holster and pistol grip. So at the end of the day, be sure to wipe down your holster and pistol and re-oil its surface if you tend to sweat a lot like I do.

Anyway, I don't think I saw where in Texas you'll be moving to. Texas is pretty big, and West Texas doesn't suffer from the same humidity issues as the eastern part of the state. So that's another factor to keep in mind depending on where in Texas you'll be at.

As for the heat, best advice is to stay in the shade as much as possible and hydrate if you'll be working outdoors. I'm fairly acclimated to it, and often take advantage of very hot days (100+ degrees) to go to the range when no one else wants to be there. Probably the main issue I have isn't so much the heat but all the biting bugs. It's not just mosquitoes you have to worry about. I find chiggers to be far worse from a discomfort standpoint although I understand they don't carry disease like our West Nile-carrying mosquitoes do. Their itch is the worse, and if you get in a nest of them, you'll be itching and scratching for a week straight. At night be sure to also watch for scorpions, and if you're along the coast watch out for deer fly (also known as yellow fly) near swamps and marshes and biting gnats in the Spring time - yes, there are gnats that actually bite, but not that hard. Deer fly bites are a bit more painful, though. Avon's Skin-So-Soft repels biting gnats (but I found they don't repel mosquitoes, chiggers or deer fly). Just something else to think about if you spend a lot of time outdoors. If it's over 100 degrees, though, I don't get bit as much, so there's that. Deep Woods Off helps a lot, but you'll still get bit, just not as much.

One last thing. Avoid the urge to take a dip in water bodies in the summer time unless they're spring-fed cold. It's not so much because of alligators and water moccasins (it's only the real big gators you have to watch out for), but because of the flesh-eating bacteria and the almost-fatal "brain-eating" amoeba. The bacteria can be found in both fresh and saltwater, so be careful jumping in the surf if you have any cuts. The amoeba is in freshwater, though, but can kill you if it gets up your nose.

And with that, welcome to Texas!

I've lived in Houston for 20+ years now and carried for almost as long. There'll need to be a difference in how you carry if you're mostly going to be outdoors exerting yourself, or if you're mostly going to be indoors. I'm usually in the second group, and I get by with an untucked snap-front cover shirt and a t-shirt underneath to separate the gun from my skin. It's a little bit hotter to wear two shirts, but in my experience it's more comfortable to not have the gun get all sweaty and clammy against my skin.

User Tag List