Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

Put me in the camp with those always wearing an undershirt no matter the weather. I'm a good-sized fellow and live in Georgia and if it is not just as hot as Texas it is close enough to make you not care. I carry appendix in a KSG Armory rig and most often a 5" VP 9 with SRO. I like the Columbia-style fishing shirts but my go-to is this type from Callaway Golf. https://www.callawayapparel.com/coll...s+Big+and+Tall

Golf polos are just as ubiquitous as Columbia Shirts and do not need ironing if you don't leave them in the dryer. I wear them untucked and they are easy to clear when presenting your handgun from an AIWB carry position.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Fine for that. Smacking the inside of it with the seatbelt buckle is a bad idea - will tear it eventually.

Went out to my car one morning and one of the door windows had been either hit with a rock by passing car, or someone had tried to break it, but the window was completely shattered. No penetration. The tint film kept it intact and stable enough to get on the freeway and drive an hour to get to a glass shop. Hard to see through, though.
    As an aside, in Dave Spaulding's car class, we saw that such films with side glass had the glass shattered but stay in place when hit with the standard handgun rounds.

On thing, in TX - I had a windshield replaced after a hail hit. Then the new windshield was sitting in the sun and just cracked on its own. Theory was that the installation was funky and the direct sun warped it. In TX, I always put one of those reflector shiny screens in the front window when parked.

Now that I’ve been here awhile, it’s time to apply what I’ve learned.

For every day carry my absolute favorite holster is JMCK’s OWB2 with a light cover garment. However, something I hadn’t foreseen is Texas is quite a bit more restrictive when it comes to no-fly zones, at least compared to NH. More than once I’ve had to walk back to the car and unthread the holster to stow it in the safe - with me carrying 1911s more often again, I don’t want to be unholstering as a matter of course. I prefer removing and donning the holstered pistol.

I need to find a decent easy on - easy off OWB for my 1911s, a Ruger Officers sized 9mm and my pair or DW ECPs to use on the days where I’m either unsure if I’ll be running into a 30.06 sign or know that I will be seeing them but still want to carry the rest of the day.

Any ideas? Something like a Milt Sparks Axiom or Kirkpatrick Reserve would work, but I’d prefer something Kydex for everyday.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mobettadefense View Post
    Put me in the camp with those always wearing an undershirt no matter the weather. I'm a good-sized fellow and live in Georgia and if it is not just as hot as Texas it is close enough to make you not care. I carry appendix in a KSG Armory rig and most often a 5" VP 9 with SRO. I like the Columbia-style fishing shirts but my go-to is this type from Callaway Golf. https://www.callawayapparel.com/coll...s+Big+and+Tall

Golf polos are just as ubiquitous as Columbia Shirts and do not need ironing if you don't leave them in the dryer. I wear them untucked and they are easy to clear when presenting your handgun from an AIWB carry position.
    Early in this thread I posted about going with bare skin against the gun but I'm coming around to preferring a layer also. Don't know why or why now. Looming geezerhood is the only new variable but regardless, I'm finding a lot of use for pretty cheap "wife beaters" under the outer shirt.

Wait, could be the waist size going from 31-32 to 33-34 the last couple years.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Early in this thread I posted about going with bare skin against the gun but I'm coming around to preferring a layer also. Don't know why or why now. Looming geezerhood is the only new variable but regardless, I'm finding a lot of use for pretty cheap "wife beaters" under the outer shirt.

Wait, could be the waist size going from 31-32 to 33-34 the last couple years.
    Here in Kansas the general weather is comparable to Texas.

Years ago I stopped wearing an undershirt in the summer and haven't looked back. A 100% cotton aloha shirt has become my ubiquitous summer wear. I'm a 2X, but I buy them 3X and wash them before I wear them. They typically shrink up around two inches. The result is a properly sized shirt that's still relatively flowing. Close fitting clothing and much exposed skin are death in the heat. I don't know why western cultures have never figured that out.

Combined with a nice pair of chinos, or linen slacks (never jeans, goog lord), a panama hat for my bald head and I'm as comfortable as it's possible to be when the temps are over a hundred. Carry is typically 3:30 IWB against bare skin.

The brand is Pacific Legend, from alohaoutlet.com
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Trooer224

Great find on those made in the USA shirts!

Seller very transparent on their non made in Hawaii goods as well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Kirkpatrick just posted a clearance priced in stock Reserve for the ECP, I’ll take that as a sign.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Now that I’ve been here awhile, it’s time to apply what I’ve learned.

For every day carry my absolute favorite holster is JMCK’s OWB2 with a light cover garment. However, something I hadn’t foreseen is Texas is quite a bit more restrictive when it comes to no-fly zones, at least compared to NH. More than once I’ve had to walk back to the car and unthread the holster to stow it in the safe - with me carrying 1911s more often again, I don’t want to be unholstering as a matter of course. I prefer removing and donning the holstered pistol.

I need to find a decent easy on - easy off OWB for my 1911s, a Ruger Officers sized 9mm and my pair or DW ECPs to use on the days where I’m either unsure if I’ll be running into a 30.06 sign or know that I will be seeing them but still want to carry the rest of the day.

Any ideas? Something like a Milt Sparks Axiom or Kirkpatrick Reserve would work, but I’d prefer something Kydex for everyday.
    Hopefully this goes over as intended...

Find yourself an organization to volunteer with that qualifies as "emergency service volunteer" .... CERT. RACES, if you are into HAM. Police volunteers (civilian). 30.06/07 provide a "Defense to prosecution" for such volunteers.

Still some work to do on prohibited places here. IMO, TX fails badly in this regard. Unless you are comparing against NY or CA.

ETA

(f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the license holder is volunteer emergency services personnel, as defined by Section 46.01.
    Emphasis mine.....

(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel" includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code, and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the benefit of the general public during emergency situations. The term does not include a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer, as those terms are defined by Section 1701.001, Occupations Code, who is performing law enforcement duties.
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-07-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hopefully this goes over as intended...

Find yourself an organization to volunteer with that qualifies as "emergency service volunteer" .... CERT. RACES, if you are into HAM. Police volunteers (civilian). 30.06/07 provide a "Defense to prosecution" for such volunteers.

Still some work to do on prohibited places here. IMO, TX fails badly in this regard. Unless you are comparing against NY or CA.

ETA

Emphasis mine.....
    Taken well, thanks. I did 20 years as a semi sworn volunteer officer with my county’s OEM, and I’m a ham. I’ll look into this, I was planning in seeing if there was anything similar I can do locally anyways. I can’t go full bore anymore due to my ankle, but RACES or a CERT team is very doable. Thank you!
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Taken well, thanks. I did 20 years as a semi sworn volunteer officer with my county’s OEM, and I’m a ham. I’ll look into this, I was planning in seeing if there was anything similar I can do locally anyways. I can’t go full bore anymore due to my ankle, but RACES or a CERT team is very doable. Thank you!
    I'm hoping our LE folks don't take it as skirting the law.
    I have it on good authority that the carve out was a compromise intended to enable vetted volunteers to carry in more places.

Our prohibited places are such an embarrassment. Especially compared to our "reputation".

Carry on!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List