Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m getting ready to have the windows on the Ridgeline treated.

The shop (a local one with very good reviews and 20+ years in business, all he does is tinting and coating) is recommending a ceramic product that claims something like 98% IR rejection. The product is Xpel Prime XR Plus, it’s slightly more expensive than the other coatings he offers but labor is the big cost. He’s proposing slightly tinting the existing back doors and rear window, maximum tinting the sunroof (I like driving with the shade open, but here that feels like I’m an ant under a magnifying glass,) front doors tinted to the legal limit and a clear film on the windshield. He has a real shop and there were a number of higher end vehicles in for tinting, so he seems like the real deal - my BS detector was silent. He quoted $800 for the complete job.

Does this sound about right? Can I ask what people have paid for tinting their vehicles?
    Had all of that done to my Jetta. Cost was less, but smaller vehicle probably had something to do with that. It made a huge difference in cabin heat. My son is driving that car now, and loves the tint.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Yes, that is a good price. I paid $850 for the same tint for all windows and windshield, it has been a very noticeable reduction in heat in the cabin. Overall worth every penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Had all of that done to my Jetta. Cost was less, but smaller vehicle probably had something to do with that. It made a huge difference in cabin heat. My son is driving that car now, and loves the tint.
    Thanks for the confirmation, guys. If this is successful I will probably do the same to Kelly’s Explorer since she parks in the sun at school all day, and she has a black leather interior like mine. I ordered a replacement TxTag, the installer said his success in removing and reusing them is pretty poor. I also have more of the window sticker cling product to removably mount the inspection and registration sticker.

How scratch resistant has the film been for you? I’m thinking when you roll the windows down.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

On the carry front, I’ve ordered a couple of guayaberas to see how a loose untucked buttoned overshirt works for me. My TX CHL just arrived this past week, so I’m getting more serious about carrying a “real” gun again.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Floridian here and I'll add one more voice to those recommending Columbia fishing shirts or similar. Not at all out of place/indicative of carrying, they conceal well, and are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Floridian here and I'll add one more voice to those recommending Columbia fishing shirts or similar. Not at all out of place/indicative of carrying, they conceal well, and are comfortable.
    I grabbed several from Academy, I think they may be their own brand but same concept. Do you wear an undershirt with yours? Kelly is telling me most people wear them here, and I’m skeptical. She says it’s actually cooler which is counterintuitive to me.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    On the carry front, I’ve ordered a couple of guayaberas to see how a loose untucked buttoned overshirt works for me. My TX CHL just arrived this past week, so I’m getting more serious about carrying a “real” gun again.
    FWIW, I've carried a 4" N frame and two speedloaders OWB dressed like that and they're pretty much invisible. Today it's a G45 (IWB) and a spare mag.

Do you wear an undershirt with yours? Kelly is telling me most people wear them here, and I’m skeptical. She says it’s actually cooler which is counterintuitive to me.
    I do. It gives your sweat somewhere to go (into the undershirt) rather than drip down your side. If you're going to be working outside in the heat, go with technical fabric; otherwise, cotton is fine.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 07-31-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Can I ask what people have paid for tinting their vehicles?
    I had my car done in early 2019 with ceramic tint and a front clear half bra for just under $600.

Site Supporter
    I always had a moisture wicking tee under the floppy shirt. I don't like a gun against my sensitive skin.

Today it was 74 degrees at the match, nice and sunny.

I grabbed several from Academy, I think they may be their own brand but same concept. Do you wear an undershirt with yours? Kelly is telling me most people wear them here, and I’m skeptical. She says it’s actually cooler which is counterintuitive to me.
    I’ve found I like the Hanes X Temp t-shirts in all weather. They make the summertime wet-n-sticky go away but trap just enough warm air in winter.

Put me in the XXL sized floppy shirt wearing clan. I may be a fashion affront but I can conceal a GP-100 or 1911. If you have them there Tractor Supply often stocks some interesting button up shirts that don’t look like something you’d wear riding a tractor or at a luau.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the confirmation, guys. If this is successful I will probably do the same to Kelly’s Explorer since she parks in the sun at school all day, and she has a black leather interior like mine. I ordered a replacement TxTag, the installer said his success in removing and reusing them is pretty poor. I also have more of the window sticker cling product to removably mount the inspection and registration sticker.

How scratch resistant has the film been for you? I’m thinking when you roll the windows down.
    Fine for that. Smacking the inside of it with the seatbelt buckle is a bad idea - will tear it eventually.

Went out to my car one morning and one of the door windows had been either hit with a rock by passing car, or someone had tried to break it, but the window was completely shattered. No penetration. The tint film kept it intact and stable enough to get on the freeway and drive an hour to get to a glass shop. Hard to see through, though.

User Tag List