Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

I never had a problem carrying in 115* heat with 46% humidity (heat index of 157*F). You just sweat more. The A/C in our Landcruisers could only keep it down into the 90s inside the vehicles. In the early months of summer the humidity was lower, which just made it feel like we were in an oven and sweat evaporated almost as fast as it was produced which gave us a "crispy" sensation.

IWB with an untucked button down shirt as cover garment and a Mr Davis bamboo compression undershirt. At that temperature the undershirt becomes soaked which helps with evaporative cooling, and also prevents the gun from "sticking" to you in the heat.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Aren't Hawaiian shirts essentially the new Photographer Vest? Asking for a friend.
    I hope so. Mine are so loud police will stop and ask me to turn down the volume.

Also remember OC is legal so accidental peaks are just a meh moment.

More importantly wide brim hats are better than your normal basic baseball cap.

Site Supporter
    Good point. I have one and used it for walks. Not for matches though, that was the cap with the flap in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I hope so. Mine are so loud police will stop and ask me to turn down the volume.
    lol
    I remember sitting in an auditorium years ago, waiting for my older daughter's dance recital to begin. I killed time by sizing-up people as they filed in to took seats. In comes a serious-looking male, early 40s, short hair, khaki pants, dark shoes and a Hawaiian shirt........with a pistol grip printing like crazy at his 4 o'clock as he bent to take his seat. I doubt I would have noticed this gent at all but for his bright shirt. And yet no one else seemed to know he existed.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    You're also going to one of the more gun-friendly parts of the world. Printing is never good but it may be less of an issue than in New England.

Okie John
    NH is much the same…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

When I lived in central Florida (nuclear fireball hot), I carried IWB and wore a lightweight button up shirt with a printed pattern (unbuttoned most of the time or buttoned with one button when it got breezy) over a tucked-in, loose fitting muscle t-shirt (to allow some airflow between my body and the holster and to prevent chafing from holster/gun rubbing against my sweaty bare skin).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    So, it sounds like my current summer wear may be doable - maybe a lighter t shirt than I wear now, but a unbuttoned collared shirt over that. I have a half dozen very lightweight Wrangler brand short sleeved shirts that I picked up from Wally World years ago - the patterns are subdued but disruptive. I was assuming that even those over a lightweight T shirt might be too much - I just ordered those linked Hanes shirts.

By pocket carry, I was thinking a 26 in cargo pants or shorts - not a mousegun - but that was a good point about the cargo pockets being very low.

I will try to make my current methods work with adjustments as needed. Actually, in the winter I’m doing fine here with an unbuttoned light flannel over a t shirt.
    I know the near universal reco is to have T shirt of some sort under the roomy untucked shirt. It's good advice. I virtually NEVER bother with that when it gets hot and just roll with gun to skin. With Glocks especially they aren't that harsh not including RTF2. And most of my VZ grips on 1911s have something to say about that skin thing. But Gen3,4,5 Glocks; screw it. There are plenty good reasons to not do as I do. I hate creating extra laundry and extra dishes FWIW.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    lol
    I remember sitting in an auditorium years ago, waiting for my older daughter's dance recital to begin. I killed time by sizing-up people as they filed in to took seats. In comes a serious-looking male, early 40s, short hair, khaki pants, dark shoes and a Hawaiian shirt........with a pistol grip printing like crazy at his 4 o'clock as he bent to take his seat. I doubt I would have noticed this gent at all but for his bright shirt. And yet no one else seemed to know he existed.
    Exactly. No one expects the Hawaiian Shirt Mafia. Our barbeque / TexMex endowed forms are the perfect stealth carry loadout.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    With my impending move from NH to TX, I’m going from a place where a cover garment can be worn year round to the furnaces of hell. I’ll still try to wear a light shirt as cover when I can, but I suspect it will be difficult for a large part of the year - at least during daytime.

I currently almost always wear jeans and carry OWB. I’m thinking it may be time to look at cargo pants and shorts with pocket carry? I would think something up to the size of a G26 would be doable.

Those of you that live in hot climates, how do you cope?
    A cargo pocket carried (specifically Duluth shorts/pants) G 26 is doable.... I know a guy who does it all the time

Where in Texas?
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    A cargo pocket carried (specifically Duluth shorts/pants) G 26 is doable.... I know a guy who does it all the time

Where in Texas?
    My only cargo pants and shorts are Duluth - I’m a bit of an addict for their stuff. I was very happy to see they are here in the Austin area. Now, if we can just get a Portillos, and a Lou Malnatis… and I’ll never be able to IWB again.

I picked up a Vedder Kydex pocket rig for my 42 based on recommendations here and liked it enough that I ordered one for my P365. Next will be for my RDS equipped 26; in retrospect I should have held off on the one for the 42, but that’s what I’ve traditionally pocket carried in jeans. My preferred carry is still one of your OWB2s, I think I’m closing on a half dozen of them now.

Short term I’ll be in south Austin, and then Belton after the house is done late in the year or early next.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List