Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

I don't live down in Texas, but for the coastal southeast I use one of the various makes of button up fishing shirts for spending time outdoors in hot weather. Easy to conceal about anything underneath and they look normal in this environment. Other than that, I go with an untucked oxford or polo shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Too old, out of shape and beat up to do it - but I wouldn’t mind watching some day!
    Ha! I hear ya. And yeah, they allow folks to spectate last I heard. I’m not too old yet - only in my mid-50’s. With the extra 20-25 lbs of gear (rifle, ammo, water, etc.) I could only slow-jog most of it. It didn’t help that I was coming off a divericulitis infection, either. But anyway, you can always walk it. A lot of folks do. And they also offer a shorter 5K event that you can walk. There was a guy there walking the 10K who just had some kind of back surgery, too.

Anyway, I’ve never been to Temple, but I understand there are a few gun ranges nearby and in the Waco area.

I live in New Mexico, about 10 minutes from the Texas border.

5' 9" and 175 pounds. I carry 99% of the time under a regular t shirt. Jacket may cycle in or shorts but same spot appendix. That's why I had to rethink my 229. Love the gun but it was very difficult to carry in hot weather all day long. I may have just been a bitch though lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Those of you that live in hot climates, how do you cope?
    AIWB and a t-shirt works. I'm fortunate to have a body shape that is big enough on top that my shirts are a bit loose around the waist.

Given that we have had open carry for several years and now unlicensed carry, I find myself less concerned with ultimate concealment. The folks at the grocery store are unlikely to notice my gat even if I was printing in a strong wind wearing a T.

If you're planning to stick with OWB, there are lots of hot-weather purpose-built garments available these days... Amazon has lots. 5.11 has a store nearby too...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Remember that the first rule of a gun fight to bring a gun. It’s easier with the micro nines that are available. But I do carry smaller than I wish. If I’m going somewhere where I need a bigger gun, I just don’t go. I’m not law enforcement so I have that luxury.

Welcome to Texas. Do not molest the gators, rattlesnakes, or chupacabras. I'm north of there in the land of Cedar, but can dig up some good TexMex locations from compadres that way if you PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Aren't Hawaiian shirts essentially the new Photographer Vest? Asking for a friend.
    Technically, I believe Hawaiian shirts are the leading indicator of former Special Forces training. As seen in FarCry.

Thusly I keep my Hawaiian shirts tucked safely in my closet so as to not invite trouble.

It will depend on your surroundings. In South Georgia if you wear Hawaiian shirts you are my uncle who is a salesman or a secret service agent. If you wear a fishing shirt you are basically a grey guy who blends in with the others wearing the middle class male uniform of the south.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    It's not just mosquitoes you have to worry about. I find chiggers to be far worse from a discomfort standpoint although I understand they don't carry disease like our West Nile-carrying mosquitoes do. Their itch is the worse, and if you get in a nest of them, you'll be itching and scratching for a week straight. At night be sure to also watch for scorpions, and if you're along the coast watch out for deer fly (also known as yellow fly) near swamps and marshes and biting gnats in the Spring time - yes, there are gnats that actually bite, but not that hard. Deer fly bites are a bit more painful, though. Avon's Skin-So-Soft repels biting gnats (but I found they don't repel mosquitoes, chiggers or deer fly). Just something else to think about if you spend a lot of time outdoors. If it's over 100 degrees, though, I don't get bit as much, so there's that. Deep Woods Off helps a lot, but you'll still get bit, just not as much.

One last thing. Avoid the urge to take a dip in water bodies in the summer time unless they're spring-fed cold. It's not so much because of alligators and water moccasins (it's only the real big gators you have to watch out for), but because of the flesh-eating bacteria and the almost-fatal "brain-eating" amoeba. The bacteria can be found in both fresh and saltwater, so be careful jumping in the surf if you have any cuts. The amoeba is in freshwater, though, but can kill you if it gets up your nose.

Ok. I get it, you’ve had enough of outsiders moving to Texas. Am I right??

Florida man here. Put me in the "you can pretty much conceal anything under a fishing shirt and look normal while staying cool" camp.

I also have found that a CCC IWB Gesalt and Mastermind belt made a 1911 disappear quite nicely under a tshirt.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List