Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Ok. I get it, you’ve had enough of outsiders moving to Texas. Am I right??
    Ha! No, not all. I guess you could say I’m sn outsider myself even though I’ve lived here for 25 years now. But I’ve lived in hot and humid climates before, so Texas heat was nothing new when I moved here two and a half decades ago. I have heard from a few northern newcomers, though, how they weren’t used to the unrelenting heat. Part of the problem is that unlike up north, where temps can reach the high 90’s during the day, Texas heat stays like that well into the night. So there’s not much respite, and that gets to some folks that just aren’t used to that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Ha! No, not all. I guess you could say I’m sn outsider myself even though I’ve lived here for 25 years now. But I’ve lived in hot and humid climates before, so Texas heat was nothing new when I moved here two and a half decades ago. I have heard from a few northern newcomers, though, how they weren’t used to the unrelenting heat. Part of the problem is that unlike up north, where temps can reach the high 90’s during the day, Texas heat stays like that well into the night. So there’s not much respite, and that gets to some folks that just aren’t used to that.
    Summer of 2011 nearly destroyed my will to live.

40 consecutive 100+ degree days.
    71 total 100+ days
    Some crazy number of those were >105.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_N...eat_wave#Texas

Lost half our AC for 2+ weeks waiting for a repair part...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Rule 2) Two garments: an undershirt/t-shirt that wicks moisture.
    For you and all re two layers in the 90s temps, tear me to shreds.

How does wicking away moisture cool me vs letting that moisture evaporate on me like my OEM design?

I've experimented a bit with that approach when living in San Antonio TX a few years, Dallas area a few years and now in GA for many years.

Cotton, micro-fibers; I never found that two layers provided more cool or comfort in the heat than one layer.

What's wrong with me?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    These are great in the summer.... Well ventilated, provides screening from the sun. And you look like a dude that drives a truck and owns a boat. Does not scream gun.

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This. I've got both long and short sleeve versions.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    This. I've got both long and short sleeve versions.
    I find it difficult with IWB carry to easily get an un-tucked buttoned shirt high enough to clear the pistol grip as opposed to a stretchy polo. Any issues with this shirt?
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    I find it difficult with IWB carry to easily get an un-tucked buttoned shirt high enough to clear the pistol grip as opposed to a stretchy polo. Any issues with this shirt?
    None that I've really noticed, but I'm not really the guy to ask.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I often think of Charlie Sheen's typical wardrobe in "Two and a Half Men"

A bowling shirt and khaki cargo shorts

https://charlieharpershirts.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Leave the bottom button undone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Leave the bottom button undone.
    +1. This works for me and I’m a right-handed geezer who’s broken his right clavicle twice (yay, bike racing!). Not using a high-rise holster helps too.

Well, I am late to the comments…. Been actually busy at work these days.

It’s been covered pretty well so far. Jeans and under armor type moisture wicking shirts are king in Texas. AIWB in Kydex are very common, comfy, and easy to conceal.

We do have open carry and constitutional carry, but it is still exceedingly rare to see open carry in my neck of the woods (Houston and surrounding counties). I think I have seen about 3 open carry types in the 8 or so years we have had OC. Others may have seen more, but it has been exceedingly rare in my view… which is good, because it is kind of stupid.

I can agree with @HCM that you cars AC does not always keep up. I had an explorer as my previous issued work car, and even with th AC on high, it was 80+ Inside the car some days. I am in a blk F150 now, and it still gets warm in there with air on high some days. If you have remote start on your car, get used to hitting it and letting the AC run 5 min before you hop in.

Lastly, and ignored issue in this thread…. If you are moving to Texas, you need at leas one pair of casual daily wear cowboy boots. Justin, Ariat, tony Llama, Luchesse, Wolverine…. Nothing too fancy. But a good pair of boots will help you blend in, and pass an actual Texas.

@HeavyDuty, Welcome to the Republic of Texas. I see you will be south of Austin. I went to high school in San Marcos, and spent a year at the University of Texas. Beautiful country. Besides the horrible traffic and influx of hipsters from California, Austin is not a bad place to be.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List