Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

I picked up a couple of the short sleeve version of that shirt at Academy today. They’re a nicer version of what I’ve been using.

@alamo5000 , @Gadfly - I’ll be in Temple/Belton. Not sure about boots, I don’t want to look like a poseur.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Summer of 2011 nearly destroyed my will to live.

40 consecutive 100+ degree days.
    71 total 100+ days
    Some crazy number of those were >105.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_N...eat_wave#Texas

Lost half our AC for 2+ weeks waiting for a repair part...
    I remember that! I stayed indoors under the protection of A/C, though. That must’ve really sucked to suffer through that with no A/C!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For you and all re two layers in the 90s temps, tear me to shreds.

How does wicking away moisture cool me vs letting that moisture evaporate on me like my OEM design?

I've experimented a bit with that approach when living in San Antonio TX a few years, Dallas area a few years and now in GA for many years.

Cotton, micro-fibers; I never found that two layers provided more cool or comfort in the heat than one layer.

What's wrong with me?
    From what I understand, the evaporative effect is what helps with cooling our bodies when we sweat. But if it’s too humid, the evaporation isn’t as effective in cooling when our hot sweat sticks to our bodies. When I lived in the desert an hour west of Yuma and south of Death Valley many years ago, humidity was a bone sucking 6%. So I felt fine in the Fall even when it was 95 degrees (I was super thirsty all the time, though!) That saying that a dry heat makes a difference is true, up to a point. Once it got past 100 (and it would often get between 115 to 120 in the summer time), it felt like an oven! But jogging at night in the low 90’s with 70% humidity feels pretty uncomfortable as my clothes are drenched in sweat.

But you make a good point about the undershirt. I’m also one of those who sweats a lot. I get drenched in sweat and feel miserable wearing one of those ribbed, cotton-blend tank top undershirts. Even the Coolmax branded undershirts left me hot and uncomfortable. So far, the only undershirt I’ve found that I can tolerate is a rayon/bamboo type of blend. I only wear one of those in the summers if I intend to carry IWB. Otherwise, I’ll wear a slightly bigger loose shirt untucked while I carry OWB, and even then I may get the pistol grip a tad sweaty. So I have to be sure to wipe it down and re-oil afterwards.

Phoenix, AZ area:

Jeans or shorts from 5.11 or LAPG.

Polo, tee, or LW button-up short sleeve shirt from UA or Columbia.

UA cap or straw fedora hat.

In my opinion, a Wilderness belt and Kydex holster and mag carrier are cooler than anything leather.

Carry anything from a Glock G43 to a 1911 Commander with the above described gear.

Has been working for me for EDC since the 80's.

But it is still too f__cking hot in Phoenix!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I picked up a couple of the short sleeve version of that shirt at Academy today. They’re a nicer version of what I’ve been using.

@alamo5000 , @Gadfly - I’ll be in Temple/Belton. Not sure about boots, I don’t want to look like a poseur.
    Ha! I doubt you’ll be tagged as a poser. Boots are fairly common here. I’ll admit, they do get pretty hot in the summer, though.

This has all been very useful, gang. It sounds like I can continue with what I have been doing, maybe with a lighter t shirt than before. Thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Well, I am late to the comments…. Been actually busy at work these days.

It’s been covered pretty well so far. Jeans and under armor type moisture wicking shirts are king in Texas. AIWB in Kydex are very common, comfy, and easy to conceal.

We do have open carry and constitutional carry, but it is still exceedingly rare to see open carry in my neck of the woods (Houston and surrounding counties). I think I have seen about 3 open carry types in the 8 or so years we have had OC. Others may have seen more, but it has been exceedingly rare in my view… which is good, because it is kind of stupid.

I can agree with @HCM that you cars AC does not always keep up. I had an explorer as my previous issued work car, and even with th AC on high, it was 80+ Inside the car some days. I am in a blk F150 now, and it still gets warm in there with air on high some days. If you have remote start on your car, get used to hitting it and letting the AC run 5 min before you hop in.

Lastly, and ignored issue in this thread…. If you are moving to Texas, you need at leas one pair of casual daily wear cowboy boots. Justin, Ariat, tony Llama, Luchesse, Wolverine…. Nothing too fancy. But a good pair of boots will help you blend in, and pass an actual Texas.

@HeavyDuty, Welcome to the Republic of Texas. I see you will be south of Austin. I went to high school in San Marcos, and spent a year at the University of Texas. Beautiful country. Besides the horrible traffic and influx of hipsters from California, Austin is not a bad place to be.
    For the OP - a sun shade for your windshield is a summer essential here on par with an ice scraper in winter up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Lastly, and ignored issue in this thread…. If you are moving to Texas, you need at leas one pair of casual daily wear cowboy boots. Justin, Ariat, tony Llama, Luchesse, Wolverine…. Nothing too fancy. But a good pair of boots will help you blend in, and pass an actual Texas.
    A trip to Cavender's is practically a right of passage!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Having spent all day in the car for work, car AC doesn't keep up fine in the summer.

It's going to be in the 90s here tomorrow... in February...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Ok whatever
    The difference may well be whether the car is moving or stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    If you use leather, daily rotation of holsters and belts is necessary to avoid premature wear out of the items. Getting caught in a rainstorm or sweat saturates a holster or belt. Horsehide and sharkskin work well for humid environments. I have two of every belt and holster I use. I do not use Kydex as I find leather more comfortable for IWB, and leather works better for office dress.
    I will add the anecdote(s) that I have sweated through an SSII, but not a McDaniel II. Sam Andrews said that he used some kind of magical sealant when I first ordered a holster from him.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For you and all re two layers in the 90s temps, tear me to shreds.

How does wicking away moisture cool me vs letting that moisture evaporate on me like my OEM design?

I've experimented a bit with that approach when living in San Antonio TX a few years, Dallas area a few years and now in GA for many years.

Cotton, micro-fibers; I never found that two layers provided more cool or comfort in the heat than one layer.

What's wrong with me?
    I'm one of those guys who breaks a sweat, sitting still, if the temp gets above 72. So for me two layers are mandatory simply because I want the moisture moving away from me. Evaporative cooling would work, if I ever dried out...So for me two shirts tends to help, because moisture is moving away.

On a Texas summer day, I'll usually need two undershirts. Because I will sweat entirely through one.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Summer of 2011 nearly destroyed my will to live.

40 consecutive 100+ degree days.
    71 total 100+ days
    Some crazy number of those were >105.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_N...eat_wave#Texas

Lost half our AC for 2+ weeks waiting for a repair part...
    That was an absolutely brutal summer. We must have gone through 5 pounds of Gold Bond that summer in my house trying to avoid chaffing and heat rash.

User Tag List