Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to rethink how I carry, moving to the surface of the Sun

Duluth is great. Kuhl also makes some great stuff. Lightweight, breathable, mostly not too flashy.

True, printing is less of a big deal here, especially with OC now. That said, I personally wouldn't want to draw attention to myself in Austin specifically. There are just a few too many weirdos there which can have a propensity for making a scene and drawing unwanted attention.

Site Supporter
    Here you: https://www.krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML

Plenty of training opportunities with my good buddy, Karl Rehn and his crew plus his guests. There are others with folks like Eric Lamberson. Givens and Ayoob, IIRC make it to the Bandera Gun Club - nice matches there also. A bit of drive.

Also, loads of competition - you can shoot every weekend. You can meet quite a few p-f folks. They can speak up. Not me unfortunately, I drifted away.

Check out texastactical.net for IDPA and carbine matches. The same range runs USPSA. Plenty of other matches around. Big modern ranges. GT Distributors for reasonable gun price.

Eat your heart attack at Tex-Mex, etc. Sadly the best after match place I knew, closed.

Oh, get used to long drives at high speed, not like the North East.

Site Supporter
    A snap front western shirt works as well the aformentioned Hawaiian, fishing and other button downs. They can often be found with more subdued colors and patterns than Hawaiian shirts depending on your style.

Site Supporter
    I’ll just third the as-mentioned use of long sleeves in a wicking or button up/fishing shirt if you’re going to be out in the sun for very long. If you can’t be in the shade then you carry the shade with you. After a decade+ of working outdoors in hot humid central Alabama I don’t like the feel of summer time solar radiation on my bare skin.

An untucked Woolrich shirt over cargo shorts let me IWB a G19 for almost five years living in Tampa. When I visit my brother in San Antonio, the same shirt over the same shorts works OK with a THIN holster. My "go to" is the FIST #1K IWB wrapped around whatever pistol I'm toting at the time.

I've never found the G26 to be pocketable, for me. Too thick, and too heavy. YMMV - and probably will!

Central Florida.

I like Columbia Super Tamiami shirts. Light weight, come in patterns, lots of vents. UV blocking, rollable sleeve. A plain tshirt can go between me and the gun, but if its really hot I let the vents in the ahort work their magic without one.

I'm thinking of trying the long sleeve style boat shirts that are UV blocking and made of that moisture wicking material.

Clean your gun more frequently, and seek out corrosion prevention options. If you sweat like me, you'll probably want both. I can find rust on my guns weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I've lived in Houston for 20+ years now and carried for almost as long. There'll need to be a difference in how you carry if you're mostly going to be outdoors exerting yourself, or if you're mostly going to be indoors. I'm usually in the second group, and I get by with an untucked snap-front cover shirt and a t-shirt underneath to separate the gun from my skin. It's a little bit hotter to wear two shirts, but in my experience it's more comfortable to not have the gun get all sweaty and clammy against my skin.
    I’m with you. I just don’t like the feel of my gun against my bare, hot sweaty skin.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Great information, everyone!

@equin - Temple area

@HCM - only mid 70s here in Austin today and tomorrow. It was 32 this morning.
    Oh, ok. Temple is just an hour and a half south of me. And about 30 minutes north of Temple in Crawford is the WTF Biathlon if you’re into that kind of shooting sport.

Quote Originally Posted by equin View Post
    Oh, ok. Temple is just an hour and a half south of me. And about 30 minutes north of Temple in Crawford is the WTF Biathlon if you’re into that kind of shooting sport.
    Too old, out of shape and beat up to do it - but I wouldn’t mind watching some day!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My only cargo pants and shorts are Duluth - I’m a bit of an addict for their stuff. I was very happy to see they are here in the Austin area. Now, if we can just get a Portillos, and a Lou Malnatis… and I’ll never be able to IWB again.

I picked up a Vedder Kydex pocket rig for my 42 based on recommendations here and liked it enough that I ordered one for my P365. Next will be for my RDS equipped 26; in retrospect I should have held off on the one for the 42, but that’s what I’ve traditionally pocket carried in jeans. My preferred carry is still one of your OWB2s, I think I’m closing on a half dozen of them now.

Short term I’ll be in south Austin, and then Belton after the house is done late in the year or early next.
    South Austin:
    Texas Tactical (IDPA and IDPA style carbine matches)
    APSC: USPSA and steel challenge.

North Austin:
    (north of Austin) CAPS: IDPA, USPSA, ASI, steel challenge matches
    Texas Shooting Academy: 3 gun, some sort of weird Spartan thing.

North of North Austin:
    -Temple: USPSA and IDPA
    -Copperas Cove (near Killeen): falling steel, action steel, tactical, and Kalashnikov

I suck at all of them!

User Tag List