Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Rotation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I hear "Mission drives gear" or something like that quite a bit.

For a civilian context, like an older dude like me, if the mission is going out and about commercial areas for commercial purposes I'll be carrying a service pistol. If the mission is a social gathering where some friends get huggy, it's more likely to be a G43 worn appendix. If it's the National Forest hunting or hiking its a service pistol again. If the mission is an overnight trip there's the service pistol and a smaller option like the G43 along.
    There is nothing new under the sun:

The concept of daisho, literally “big (and) small”, was simple: a sword paired with a sidearm that can be used when the other was not suitable. The vast majority of samurai would wear a typical long sword alongside a shorter one for use at closer range, such as indoors, or in the battlefield if the spear and sword were lost or otherwise not useful for engaging the enemy.

The origins of daisho was around the Momoyama period, the final portion of the Sengoku era, a time of warlordism in Japan during the 1500–1600s. But in reality samurai had always worn a backup weapon on their person both in battle and in plain clothes, centuries before the term came into being.

Technically, daisho specifically refers to katana and wakizashi, but some more specific points:

-in earlier periods there was no such thing as a katana, it was itself a straighter variant of the tachi, a sword that was suspended from the belt and drawn and used as a cavalryman’s blade- the samurai were originally mounted horse archers.

-wakizashi in modern terms refers to a shorter blade than the katana but otherwise constructed and designed just like one; but in its broadest sense wakizashi is itself a portmaneau of “Waki” and “Zashi”, Secondary and Insert, respectively. So daisho worn by samurai could and often were just any two blades of any length- it was just more practical to have a shorter blade on hand.

-daisho therefore could be referred to ANY pair of blades and the specific lengths and types did not matter: a samurai could wear a tachi with a tanto, a katana with a tanto, wakizashi with tanto, or even just two katanas.

-another fun fact, although tachi and katana had design differences, the other difference was simply the way it was worn, tachi were hung with a suspended scabbard, whereas katana scabbards were inserted into the belt sash. Samurai deployed as cavalry with only katana would simply have used a suspended scabbard.

The image of a samurai wearing matching pairs of swords is a matter of fashion, so daisho does not require matching pairs. Unlike richer samurai such as daimyo warlords that could afford swords that double as works of art, poorer samurai may not have purchased a matching set, or had different sets passed down from generations, or were collected from dead bodies after a battle. It is a popular image, but not necessarily the most prevalent one in reality.

I think there is also an advantage to staying within the same family of pistols. G17, G19, G43 or P-09, P-07 et cetera. I notice much less transition difficulty going from a P-07 to an SP-01 Shadow, than I do from the P-07 to an HK USP Compact. The difference in triggers, grip, slide stop, mag release and slide design make the HK transition more difficult.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Some rough dates and math reveal a boring selection of pistols over 11 years of tracking.

My 5 carry guns since 2011.

01/11 - 11/13 P30v3. Da/Sa 85,000
    12/13 - 06/15 P30 v1. LEM 17,100
    07/15 - 12/16 P2000 v1. LEM 8,800
    01/17 - 12/19 USP9c v7. LEM 14,100
    01/20 - 12/20 P2000 v1. LEM 7,200
    01/21 - 02/22 P2000sk v1. LEM 4,000

The other night about 3am I woke up with an idea. As I'm pondering the approach of my 45th birthday, I get the idea to pick out a nice 1911 in .45. Spent the rest of the early morning talking myself out of it.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Some rough dates and math reveal a boring selection of pistols over 11 years of tracking.

The other night about 3am I woke up with an idea. As I'm pondering the approach of my 45th birthday, I get the idea to pick out a nice 1911 in .45. Spent the rest of the early morning talking myself out of it.
    Jesus bro, might as well just round it out and get an actual Mauser, since HK is basically the reincarnation of Mauser.

I think they had a short foray with a relatively unsuccessful 45ACP tactical tupperware around the turn of the millennium. Maybe that's your answer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Jesus bro, might as well just round it out and get an actual Mauser, since HK is basically the reincarnation of Mauser.

Way ahead of you..

Name:  20210615_164328.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  29.9 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Way ahead of you..

Ugh, those Mauser 1910/1914/1934 series are just awesome.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Urban/Suburban Carry

2000 to 2003 Agency issued 5906 and Glock 26 (because we were going to switch to Glocks Soon™)
    2003 to 2005 Agency issued 4006, Glock 27 (because we were going to switch to Glocks Soon™), Smith and Wesson 638
    2005 to 2006 Springfield 1911 and Tanfoglio Witness .45, because I was dumb. Smith and Wesson 638
    2006 to 1/15/2022 Glock 19 and Smith and Wesson 638
    1/15/2022 to present Glock 19 and Smith and Wesson 640 Pro (1/15/2002 was the day the 640 Pro fired it's 500th round and was declared fit for duty)

Woods Carry

2000-2003 Glock 20 Gen 2
    2003 to 2007 Glock 20 Gen 3 (went away in the Great Divorce Gun Sell Off)
    2007 to 2014 Glock 19
    2014 to 10/2018 Gen 3 Glock 20
    10/2018 to present 4" GP100 .357

I'm pondering the approach of my 50th birthday and have the idea of buying a two-tone commander length 1911 in 9mm and putting stag grips on it but I'm trying to talk myself into a P365 instead.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm pondering the approach of my 50th birthday and have the idea of buying a two-tone commander length 1911 in 9mm and putting stag grips on it but I'm trying to talk myself into a P365 instead.
    I've got a few years on you. You don't need me telling or reminding you this, but Life is Short. Drink it in.

While I am totally in favor of educating oneself and seeking advice from those who may be more experienced and/or more proficient in the field of armed self defense, I'm still of the opinion that YOU should carry whatever the Hell YOU want to carry WHENEVER and WHEREVER you can carry it discreetly.

It's up to YOU to decide if you are competent enough to bet your life on it.

And unless others are purchasing guns and ammo for you, or are paying you to defend THEIR life or property, their approval is immaterial.

This conversation could go on forever. I know more than one guy who owns a chain saw that has no fucking idea what he is doing with it when he fires it up. And guys that pull trailers that can't stay in their traffic lane or back it up. And guys that have kids that don't know the first thing about being a father.

But that's their problem, not mine. I don't ask them to cut wood or trim trees on my property. I don't have them haul my stuff in their trailer. And I don't expect them to raise my kids.

YMMV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    While I am totally in favor of educating oneself and seeking advice from those who may be more experienced and/or more proficient in the field of armed self defense, I'm still of the opinion that YOU should carry whatever the Hell YOU want to carry WHENEVER and WHEREVER you can carry it discreetly.

It's up to YOU to decide if you are competent enough to bet your life on it.

And unless others are purchasing guns and ammo for you, or are paying you to defend THEIR life or property, their approval is immaterial.

This conversation could go on forever. I know more than one guy who owns a chain saw that has no fucking idea what he is doing with it when he fires it up. And guys that pull trailers that can't stay in their traffic lane or back it up. And guys that have kids that don't know the first thing about being a father.

But that's their problem, not mine. I don't ask them to cut wood or trim trees on my property. I don't have them haul my stuff in their trailer. And I don't expect them to raise my kids.

YMMV
    This is a very valid point, in that I don't think EDC should be dictated by people who think they know better. I for sure do not think I should have the authority to tell people what to carry. That said, I think there's a difference between wanting to impose preferences, and discussing opinions on best practices. The latter is what I think has been happening here when it comes to criticizing carry rotations.

For another example, I have a lot of opinions on how people should raise their kids. Some of those are strong opinions, and most of them are evidence-based. I have no desire to impose a single solitary one of them on anyone.

User Tag List