Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I tend to be strict with myself on sticking with a single platform in any given time period, simply because my performance is going to suffer a lot when I change platforms. I found need two weeks that include dry fire and probably minimum 3 live fire sessions just to get that refamiliarization done for some platform that I have competed with and carried previously, unless I switched back to a LEM, then I seem to need 2-3X that time and round count investment to be happy with my ability again.

"Happy with my ability" is not subjective. The old timers and targets don't lie thing. I am going to demand at least a 95% score on the Rangemaster Instructor qual course of fire before I say I am good to go when it comes to a particular type of service pistol.

I am quite certain there are folks here who can do that on demand with any platform they own, but not me.

As GJM observed in another thread, perhaps 80% of performance is that trigger management thing. Then another big thing is acquiring the firing grip on the draw from concealment. I have to work on both to get spun up on a different platform and perform consistently enough.
    I spent too much time chasing fast draws to a shot or two. Now I grind my hand down into the grip, to get a draw that will work for 23 shots. That has simplified the getting a good grip part.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

well I rotate the ammo in my Yost GSP dose that count ?

My philosophy: Always try to carry a handgun you would prefer to defend yourself with, everywhere.

I'll elaborate...
    If a pocket 380/38 snub is all you have that removes preferred as a factor, its all you have.
    If/ when you are limited by work clothes a pocket 380/38 snub might be the best you can do, it may or may not be preferred.

Now we get to the good stuff...
    Lets say you have a pocket 380/38 snub and a Glock 19 (for example) and you are not limited by work attire.
    You shoot the Glock 19 better and you think it advantageous if you had to defend yourself versus the pocket 380/38 snub.
    You live in a "good area" and are going for a "quick trip to the store" do you carry the 19 or settle for less? Do it right and carry the 19.

Would you have to untuck your shirt and look "sloppy" to carry the Glock 19 in this example? If so just do it, nobody cares. (Includes date night)
    Is carrying the most advantageous handgun potentially inconvenient, like having to make the effort of wearing a holster? Maybe, just do it.
    If you can dress as you choose, the handgun you carry should be one you would prefer to defend yourself with wherever.
    Rotation? If you don't always carry a handgun you would prefer to defend yourself with when you otherwise could, rotate to doing it right.
    Is CDW4ME telling you what to do? Yea, but you can ignore me and probably will.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Site Supporter
    The phrase "Carry Rotation" is closely associated with "derp" in my mind.
    If there's something good worth recognizing that involves changing weapons with some frequency, we should find another phrase to refer to it.

YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The phrase "Carry Rotation" is closely associated with "derp" in my mind.
    If there's something good worth recognizing that involves changing weapons with some frequency, we should find another phrase to refer to it.

YMMV
    Sure as hell a group with as many veterans as we have can come up with some over the top verbiage and/or acryonym.

FUDS?

Firearm Utility Driven Selection

NUCKLES?

Niche Use Choice Knowing Limitations of Equipment Selection

Humor value aside, I really don't think we need a term for this. I think most anybody gets a special purpose firearm isn't really a 'rotation' where it's just gun of the month club with no thoughts other than cool or newer is better.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I like NUCKLES. Sounds cool.

@GJM: please share how you evaluate your proficiency with your carry weapon(s) of choice? Genuinely curious and interesting; I know you have a robust and successful schedule of competitive shooting. Do you sometimes compete with a carry piece?
    For myself, I’m an admitted “drill nerd”, but also compete in IDPA and GSSF with what I might or do carry.
    I also shoot multiple dept. quals when the opportunity arises…
    Thanks in advance

@GJM:
    Sorry, double tap…

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @GJM: please share how you evaluate your proficiency with your carry weapon(s) of choice? Genuinely curious and interesting; I know you have a robust and successful schedule of competitive shooting. Do you sometimes compete with a carry piece?
    For myself, I’m an admitted “drill nerd”, but also compete in IDPA and GSSF with what I might or do carry.
    I also shoot multiple dept. quals when the opportunity arises…
    Thanks in advance
    For a carry pistol, I am first interested in the ability to make accurate shots, and then in how quickly I can shoot the pistol. I have a pretty good idea the times I shoot on tasks with my CO pistol, and look for a reasonable percentage with the carry pistol.

I haven’t competed with a pure carry pistol from carry gear, but I have a wild hair to maybe shoot Open from AIWB with a G4 19 with a comp and TLR-7.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure as hell a group with as many veterans as we have can come up with some over the top verbiage and/or acryonym.

FUDS?

Firearm Utility Driven Selection

NUCKLES?

Niche Use Choice Knowing Limitations of Equipment Selection

Humor value aside, I really don't think we need a term for this. I think most anybody gets a special purpose firearm isn't really a 'rotation' where it's just gun of the month club with no thoughts other than cool or newer is better.
    I hear "Mission drives gear" or something like that quite a bit.

For a civilian context, like an older dude like me, if the mission is going out and about commercial areas for commercial purposes I'll be carrying a service pistol. If the mission is a social gathering where some friends get huggy, it's more likely to be a G43 worn appendix. If it's the National Forest hunting or hiking its a service pistol again. If the mission is an overnight trip there's the service pistol and a smaller option like the G43 along.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List