Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Please help me pick a new "duty" shotgun and set it up

I find it hard, from the conceptual framework of potentially outfitting multiple officers, to think that the 1301 Tactical with the standard Beretta stock isn't the best choice.

1) That stock has adjustable LOP, cast, and drop.
    2) The safety is reversible for left-handed officers.
    3) It will shoot Flitecontrol or Versatite buckshot with excellent results to 25y and slugs to 100.
    4) It will shoot whatever cheap ass range fodder birdshot is available.
    5) Ghost rings aren't as nice as rifle sights. But anyone who has run a carbine with irons will get the ghost ring setup on the shotgun instantly.
    6) It will give officers 7-rounds of fight stopping capability.
    7) Current generation Tactical variants have a 1-piece magazine tube, so no extensions to come unscrewed or to check at the armorer level.
    8) As previously discussed the Tactical variants, at least, have the revised bolt release that will not inadvertently empty the mag tube on you.

For departments that want to maintain the shotgun as a potential fighting tool, the 1301T seems to be the choice. If I were responsible for outfitting officers with shotguns, the Beretta 1301 Model Number: J131TT18C would be my choice.

I'm not a shill, it's just for the price, feature set, and needs - I can't find a compelling reason to choose any other shotgun.

@Caballoflaco

@Unobtainium

Appreciate the feedback and banter. Regardless of theory I am not an engineer. As I had noticed the absence of the inertia spring early on, I was taken back on Benelli’s stance. But again, I figured they would know and wouldn’t falsely describe their own firearm.

The reason I stated what I had, was the direct result from a Benelli LEO Reps lips. The reason I posted the video with time stamps, was to show that I wasn’t pulling this information from my arse. The video shows another LEO Rep, from Benelli, albeit not as detailed as I had in person or described, using the same verbiage, 3 times in a demonstration, almost 10 years later.

I will try and rub elbows in the near future with another representative in the near future for clarity.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre675 View Post
    @Caballoflaco

@Unobtainium

Appreciate the feedback and banter. Regardless of theory I am not an engineer. As I had noticed the absence of the inertia spring early on, I was taken back on Benelli’s stance. But again, I figured they would know and wouldn’t falsely describe their own firearm.

The reason I stated what I had, was the direct result from a Benelli LEO Reps lips. The reason I posted the video with time stamps, was to show that I wasn’t pulling this information from my arse. The video shows another LEO Rep, from Benelli, albeit not as detailed as I had in person or described, using the same verbiage, 3 times in a demonstration, almost 10 years later.

I will try and rub elbows in the near future with another representative in the near future for clarity.
    My guess is they chose to keep the word inertia in the marketing for the M4 since that’s what they’re known for.

Technically they are using gas piston rods to give the bolt carrier inertia to complete the cycle of operations, but if we were to classify the type of action by the way force is imparted on the moving parts it wouldn’t fall into what I would call an inertia system.

This is how I've set mine up for my uses.
    Name:  282699596_544566440482464_9023591471871991396_n.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  101.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    My guess is they chose to keep the word inertia in the marketing for the M4 since that’s what they’re known for.

Technically they are using gas piston rods to give the bolt carrier inertia to complete the cycle of operations, but if we were to classify the type of action by the way force is imparted on the moving parts it wouldn’t fall into what I would call an inertia system.
    If it were, literally every semi-auto firearm operates on inertia, as movement happens after the shot prompts it, and continues after the forces are abated.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre675 View Post
    @Caballoflaco

@Unobtainium

Of course. I think it's ignorance on the part of the reps you spoke with. The physical structure of the system is the same as the 416, more or less. You have a gas block, bleed-off valve, and pistons that impact the carrier. you have a rotating bolt head/cam pin arrangement. You have a "buffer tube spring"/action spring. There is no "ID" component in this system, and I conclusively demonstrate that it is not inertia driven in the video I made for you.

This is what Benelli says on their website:
    -Benelli’s patented Auto-Regulating Gas-Operated (A.R.G.O.) system is a simple, self-cleaning, piston-driven action.
    -The A.R.G.O. system is a unique, short-stroke, dual-piston design developed for the M4 Tactical shotgun in 1998 for the U.S. Marine Corps. It was later adopted as the U.S. Joint Services combat shotgun—and remains so today.

https://www.benelliusa.com/resources/argo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Of course. I think it's ignorance on the part of the reps you spoke with. The physical structure of the system is the same as the 416, more or less. You have a gas block, bleed-off valve, and pistons that impact the carrier. you have a rotating bolt head/cam pin arrangement. You have a "buffer tube spring"/action spring. There is no "ID" component in this system, and I conclusively demonstrate that it is not inertia driven in the video I made for you.

This is what Benelli says on their website:

https://www.benelliusa.com/resources/argo
    Just to add another data point - I've never heard of this combo gas+inertia gabbledygook until this thread. All documentation and references and all of my collective (but limited) experience with Benellis since I first shot an M1S90 in the mid 90's made a very clear distinction between inertia driven Benellis and gas-operated Benellis. It's self evident when you take a look at either design.

User Tag List