Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me pick a new "duty" shotgun and set it up

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

I spent some time with a department-owned M4 and a buddy's LTT 1301 this afternoon. I only shot Federal Flite Control 00 Buck and a mix of Federal and Winchester slugs because that's what I had on hand.

It reconfirmed I really don't like ghostring sights and don't care for pistol grips on a shotguns. The LOP on the 1301 was way too short for me so I don't want to judge it too harshly on that (I'm 6'3" with a 36" sleeve length...I typically prefer around 15" LOP on a clay/wing shooting gun and at least 14" on a "tactical" shotgun).

That being said...the M4 was absolutely flawless. I had one bobble with the 1301 dropping a shell into the open chamber which was easily fixed just racking the action back and letting slam home. Both guns shot really well, but I found myself preferring the M4. Everything about how it ran just felt smooth. If it had a traditional stock and a bead sighted barrel I would have been in heaven.

@Rex G I see what you mean about the safety thing. The Beretta's is where I index and I inadvertently knocked it off a couple times. The Benelli's was in the right spot :-)

I wonder how the Remington V3 version runs? I know it's a knock-off of the same action as the M4. I'm not sure if I trust Big Green to get it right though.
    https://www.remarms.com/shotguns/tactical/v3-tactical

I really want to try an M2 21" with ComfortTech. I may just buy one so I can.
    2 x thoughts:

1) You can add spacers to the Magpul stock to increase LOP. If the factory stock is too short for you, the need to mount a longer stock might be an issue for you.

2) The Benelli M4 is gas operated, and is not the same as the inertia-operated M2, so this particular comparison is not apples:apples as compared to the M2.

The M4 is certainly an awesome shotgun in it's own right.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Benelli M4 vs Berreta 1301

https://youtu.be/sDIUgeOzCDM

The video brings up some interesting points.

I purchased a Berreta A300 several months ago and it has impressed the helll out of me.

It's not the same.model as the 1301, but the action appears the identical. It's extremely reliable, fast, and light recoiling gun. The new models have a (Kick-Off) pogo stick recoil system in the stock.

I've been an Remington 870 user for years and still have/ use a Wilson's Rem 870 Standard model.

That said my next defensive long gun is going to be a Berreta 1301. I've shot most of the Benelli combat shotguns and considered the Benelli M4 with the Standard stock. However, my first Berreta auto shots almost anything I load into it including cheap bird shot loads. It took about 300 shells to completely smooth out the action. It sort of reminds me of a Glock shotgun. Maybe not the best apology, but it was my first thought after using it. The shotgun is Black, light, and reliable with anything I put in it.

Everyone has different opinions when it comes to long guns, but I agree that the defensive shotgun is still a viable option. 12 Gauge buckshot is an extremely effective load at close range.

P.S. In Southern California several off the academies include rifle training (AR,-15)I don't know if it's POST certified or just familiarization. In my day it was shotguns only.

I have a 14 inch M4. For field use, I grab the M2 first, then the 1301, and last the M4. The M4 fells like you are carrying a heavy rock compared to the others. Now my use may be different -- carrying the shotgun hiking and recreating around bears.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    @KevH iirc a couple people on here have mentioned that Alabama State Troopers have been using the Beretta 1301’s for a while. Maybe you could contact them to get an idea of how they’re working out as an issue weapon.

LAPD uses the M4 quite a bit, with an individual Officer slug gun program, and issues it in Metro and D Platoon. A LAPD Detective used a M4 in a shooting not too long ago:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sca5TfOkbAxNSq

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jJwTNF8wJhjpQN

Perhaps you could reach out to LAPD Firearmes staff to talk about the M4.

I have the exact M2 configuration you're describing. This is the 4th one I've had. This one is a full custom build by RAS. For a duty gun, you might forego the full quad-load loading port, but the rest of it is completely applicable. It is probably my favorite gun I've ever owned. As to the light mount, I have the GG&G mount that goes between the barrel nut and the barrel and a Surefire M300 Pro mounted to that tucked in nice and tight (but not where it could touch). As far as slug accuracy, silhouette hits at 100yds with just centering the bead in the rib is not an issue.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    This one is a full custom build by RAS. For a duty gun, you might forego the full quad-load loading port, but the rest of it is completely applicable.
    More pretty pictures of the Rose loading port please...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    More pretty pictures of the Rose loading port please...

Name:  B8BBB8DE-DD5D-4CA4-89B6-8B91BFFA1AD1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  69.0 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have the exact M2 configuration you're describing. This is the 4th one I've had. This one is a full custom build by RAS. For a duty gun, you might forego the full quad-load loading port, but the rest of it is completely applicable. It is probably my favorite gun I've ever owned. As to the light mount, I have the GG&G mount that goes between the barrel nut and the barrel and a Surefire M300 Pro mounted to that tucked in nice and tight (but not where it could touch). As far as slug accuracy, silhouette hits at 100yds with just centering the bead in the rib is not an issue.

That is the EXACT setup (in every single way) I'm looking at minus a sling.

I think you just helped me make up my mind.

Honestly, it sounds like a 1301 comp 21" gets you what you need out of the box. Bead sights, slug or shot, and reliable. Add a sling and a light. If you're not married to bead sights, I wouldn't shy from the 1301 tac for a moment.

I own a 1301 tac with nordic +2, and magpul stock. I love it. If I had to get into a shooting with a shotgun, it would be my 1301. I grew up with bead sights, and really like them as well. When you're used to them they work incredible.

I think for you specifically a multitude of shotguns may work. For general issue to a group I'm not sure. While you might practice, undsrstand concepts like loading doubles and quads, slug select, and other real specific concepts... is a patrolman in possession of the same knowlesge and skills? Will the learning curve of bead sights be given the rounds and time to develop? Perhaps a closer to stock gun like the 1301s would be better for the average guy even if not for you specifically.

I'm not a cop, and I'm sure there are a ton of other factors. Hope it works out for you.

User Tag List