Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Staccato C Impressions

Site Supporter

Staccato C Impressions

Summary: Fantastic gun. For my purposes, could be the best gun I’ve ever owned.

I bought a Staccato C in November 2021. I am always in search of the “perfect” gun. Over the years I’ve about 85 handguns, but I never own more than what I carry, which equates to a belt gun and a pocket gun. I have owned some nice pieces, including a West German PPK, bought with paperwork magic, P7M8s, a steel frame S&W Model 39, a S&W 640 tuned by a gunsmith working for the NYPD at Rodman’s Neck, and a custom Caspian with my date of birth as the serial number. I shoot better with a Staccato C than any handgun I’ve owned.

My criteria for purchasing the “C” boiled down to 1) Fit, the relationship of my hand to the grip which is my most important consideration when selecting a handgun; 2) Concealability, a pistol I could conceal from anyone looking at me; 3) AIWB friendly, a pistol that wouldn’t rotate outwards because the barrel was too short; 4) 9mm caliber; 5) Optics ready; 6) SAO. The icing on the cake, Staccato is just up the road from where I live in Austin and Dave Dawson from Dawson Precision is connected with Staccato.

The first range day proved how well the “C” and I worked together. Using sights, I was hitting the 2” circles on the PF target at 15 yards and scored 50/50 on the Dot-Torture at 4yds. First time I ever shot that well with any handgun. When I left the range that day, I bought a second “C” from and LGS. I debated on the C2 or a P, but my decision criteria held me to another “C”. I also bought optics for both. The remainder of this post is based on a combined 2350 rounds through both since last December. The usage split is 80/20 between the RMRcc range pistol and the Holosun 509 gun carry pistol. I used Dawson’s plates to mount both. The Holosun co-witnessed with the standard front sight. The RMRcc required a taller front sight. Staccato’s web page lists pistol compatibility for each Dawson plate.

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 7368
Size:  48.9 KB

All the controls are easy to use. The grip safety at about 50%. Because the hand to grip fit is positive, I haven’t had problems. As a lefty, I appreciate the ambi safety. I’ve come to realize manual transmission cars and 1911s have something in common—a person who steals one probably won’t know how to use it.

Fit, finish, and reliability are all excellent. I took Hilton Yam’s online armor course for Staccato 2011s. He was very convincing explaining the technical merit of Staccatos over other 2011’s. Even though the “C” is a 1911, what Yam said regarding Staccato build quality applied to the “C” as well. Slide to frame fit is tuned in to combat pistol standards. Both pistols cycled all the different ammunition they were fed with zero malfunctions, consistent feeding, and extraction.

Magazines are easy to get and carry. Any Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick officer size magazines (8 and 9-round) are safe to use for carry. One issue to note: occasional failure to feeds using 10-round magazines. When it occurred, it was second or third round in magazine. Another issue, Wilson 9-round Elite Tactical mags with the black fluoropolymer finish do not drop free. My solution, I use a Staccato mag in the gun, and reload with a 9-round magazine.

Range time with the mounted optics has been phenomenal. The picture shows my carry pistol. Distance was 3-25 yards; round count was 150. The Holosun and “C” work well together. I use the 32 MOA ring with 2 MOA dot. I index with the ring and apply precision with the dot. As someone new to dots, the technique is helping me not focus first on sights then dot. Recoil is mild allowing for quick follow up shots.

Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  40.4 KB

In the final analysis, the “C” shoots big and carries small. For my hand size and concealment requirements, paired with an optic and the Enigma, the “C” is best concealable shooting handgun I’ve ever owned. The “C” is as easy to carry in the Enigma as the LCR 327 I recently purchased. The half-pound weight difference and use case for runs are keeping the LCR around. In the past, I’ve felt compelled to “upgrade” every handgun I’ve owned. Not the case with the “C”, there is nothing that needs to be done to make it better for combat shooting. But I will install flat triggers as a preference in both this month. Additionally, the people at Staccato have been very helpful every time I called with questions.

@JHC, let me know if I missed anything and thanks for getting me to write this.
    Last edited by Hideeho; 02-13-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    Summary: Fantastic gun. For my purposes, could be the best gun I’ve ever owned.

I bought a Staccato C in November 2021. I am always in search of the “perfect” gun. Over the years I’ve about 85 handguns, but I never own more than what I carry, which equates to a belt gun and a pocket gun. I have owned some nice pieces, including a West German PPK, bought with paperwork magic, P7M8s, a steel frame S&W Model 39, a S&W 640 tuned by a gunsmith working for the NYPD at Rodman’s Neck, and a custom Caspian with my date of birth as the serial number. I shoot better with a Staccato C than any handgun I’ve owned.

My criteria for purchasing the “C” boiled down to 1) Fit, the relationship of my hand to the grip which is my most important consideration when selecting a handgun; 2) Concealability, a pistol I could conceal from anyone looking at me; 3) AIWB friendly, a pistol that wouldn’t rotate outwards because the barrel was too short; 4) 9mm caliber; 5) Optics ready; 6) SAO. The icing on the cake, Staccato is just up the road from where I live in Austin and Dave Dawson from Dawson Precision is connected with Staccato.

The first range day proved how well the “C” and I worked together. Using sights, I was hitting the 2” circles on the PF target at 15 yards and scored 50/50 on the Dot-Torture at 4yds. First time I ever shot that well with any handgun. When I left the range that day, I bought a second “C” from and LGS. I debated on the C2 or a P, but my decision criteria held me to another “C”. I also bought optics for both. The remainder of this post is based on a combined 2350 rounds through both since last December. The usage split is 80/20 between the RMRcc range pistol and the Holosun 509 gun carry pistol. I used Dawson’s plates to mount both. The Holosun co-witnessed with the standard front sight. The RMRcc required a taller front sight. Staccato’s web page lists pistol compatibility for each Dawson plate.

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 7368
Size:  48.9 KB

All the controls are easy to use. The grip safety at about 50%. Because the hand to grip fit is positive, I haven’t had problems. As a lefty, I appreciate the ambi safety. I’ve come to realize manual transmission cars and 1911s have something in common—a person who steals one probably won’t know how to use it.

Fit, finish, and reliability are all excellent. I took Hilton Yam’s online armor course for Staccato 2011s. He was very convincing explaining the technical merit of Staccatos over other 2011’s. Even though the “C” is a 1911, what Yam said regarding Staccato build quality applied to the “C” as well. Slide to frame fit is tuned in to combat pistol standards. Both pistols cycled all the different ammunition they were fed with zero malfunctions, consistent feeding, and extraction.

Magazines are easy to get and carry. Any Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick officer size magazines (8 and 9-round) are safe to use for carry. One issue to note: occasional failure to feeds using 10-round magazines. When it occurred, it was second or third round in magazine. Another issue, Wilson 9-round Elite Tactical mags with the black fluoropolymer finish do not drop free. My solution, I use a Staccato mag in the gun, and reload with a 9-round magazine.

Range time with the mounted optics has been phenomenal. The picture shows my carry pistol. Distance was 3-25 yards; round count was 150. The Holosun and “C” work well together. I use the 32 MOA ring with 2 MOA dot. I index with the ring and apply precision with the dot. As someone new to dots, the technique is helping me not focus first on sights then dot. Recoil is mild allowing for quick follow up shots.

Name:  IMG_0289.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  40.4 KB

In the final analysis, the “C” shoots big and carries small. For my hand size and concealment requirements, paired with an optic and the Enigma, the “C” is best concealable shooting handgun I’ve ever owned. The “C” is as easy to carry in the Enigma as the LCR 327 I recently purchased. The half-pound weight difference and use case for runs are keeping the LCR around. In the past, I’ve felt compelled to “upgrade” every handgun I’ve owned. Not the case with the “C”, there is nothing that needs to be done to make it better for combat shooting. But I will install flat triggers as a preference in both this month. Additionally, the people at Staccato have been very helpful every time I called with questions.

@JHC, let me know if I missed anything and thanks for getting me to write this.
    Wow, thank you so much!

The C appeals to me because I have a small basket of 10 round Wilsons which if your experience would hold, fine for range practice. And the form factor. And the true 1911 dimensional consistency with my 1911s. Capacity is pretty far down my list of features.

I've shot a few mags through each of a C2 and EDC X9 a couple months ago. I liked the X9 a lot. The C2 was much larger than I'd expected it to be and I was kind of "meh"

The bolded section is about to become my new sig line!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the review. Really interested in the Staccato line but every time I get close to having that kind of cash saved up no body has one locally and I end up buying something else.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Wow, thank you so much!

The C appeals to me because I have a small basket of 10 round Wilsons which if your experience would hold, fine for range practice. And the form factor. And the true 1911 dimensional consistency with my 1911s. Capacity is pretty far down my list of features.

I've shot a few mags through each of a C2 and EDC X9 a couple months ago. I liked the X9 a lot. The C2 was much larger than I'd expected it to be and I was kind of "meh"

The bolded section is about to become my new sig line!
    Thank for the sig line attribution. Your encouragement to write brought out that thought. I think the push for capacity has negatively impacted accuracy. When I was a firearms instructor, I saw many males and females not able to shoot double stack pistols well. Me included.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Thanks for the review. Really interested in the Staccato line but every time I get close to having that kind of cash saved up no body has one locally and I end up buying something else.
    I bought my first one from KYGunCo. I qualify for Staccato's Heroes Program, but no tax or shipping offset the discount so I went with KY. My second I bought a an LGS near Staccatos HQS. Best I can tell you, don't buy anything else until you get a "C".

Site Supporter

Staccato C vs. C2 Difference

One thing I neglected to mention, the main difference between Staccato's 1911 and their 2011s is the grip module should not be removed from the "C". Doing so voids the warranty. You'll see some folks send or do stippling job, but from what I understand that will void warranty. Another thing I left out, the polymer grip module mated to the aluminum frames might be the reason for light recoil.

One thing I neglected to mention, the main difference between Staccato's 1911 and their 2011s is the grip module should not be removed from the "C". Doing so voids the warranty. You'll see some folks send or do stippling job, but from what I understand that will void warranty. Another thing I left out, the polymer grip module mated to the aluminum frames might be the reason for light recoil.
    I believe that removing the grip module will void the warranty on any Staccato, not just the 'C'.

Staccato Warranty

This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI or Staccato Factory Certified Armorer. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) Fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition, however if it is determined that the damage to your Open gun is directly related to overcharged, double charged or unsafe ammunition, it may effect warranty coverage).

6) Utilization of non-Staccato slide milling services or optic plates voids Staccato or STI pistol’s warranty related to slides and sights.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I believe that removing the grip module will void the warranty on any Staccato, not just the 'C'.

Staccato Warranty

This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI or Staccato Factory Certified Armorer. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) Fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition, however if it is determined that the damage to your Open gun is directly related to overcharged, double charged or unsafe ammunition, it may effect warranty coverage).

6) Utilization of non-Staccato slide milling services or optic plates voids Staccato or STI pistol’s warranty related to slides and sights.
    Could very well apply to all. During the armorer course folks were removing grip modules. I wonder if Hilton Yam would have them do that if it caused their warranty to be voided? He has/had a relationship Staccato.

Could very well apply to all. During the armorer course folks were removing grip modules. I wonder if Hilton Yam would have them do that if it caused their warranty to be voided? He has/had a relationship Staccato.
    I wondered that myself.

I've also read that the single stack 'C' grip module is actually installed differently than the double-stack models, including the use of an adhesive at the factory. So I imagine disassembling a 'C' grip module is much more complicated process.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Speaking of installing flat triggers and not messing with the grip assembly, I’m assuming that the C uses standard 1911 triggers and also that it’s possible to completely detail strip it short of taking the grip assembly off? I’m a little curious about how that Swenson right side safety comes off without removing the grips - I assume it has to rotate upward to get out of that track the leg travels in?

I have one gun with a Swenson and I’ve always removed the grip panel to get it off, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an easier/different way I’m not aware of.

User Tag List