Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You forgot you like sea shanties

My better half explicitly forbade me taking a full share job on a boat. For the best, the guy who offered it had a crewmember die on that trip and wound up incarcerated a few times after.

A few years later, she told me to choose between mountainside work and her (too many 7-day weeks, too many midnights, too many close calls, too little help raising babies). Played this one on my last shift while watching a winter sunrise from just below a summit:

At the current gig, we sometimes have business in sight of that spot. One of my coworkers, who knows the lifestyle, has slapped me upside the head and shaken his at me most times he's caught me stopping and gazing up. Another coworker had a parallel job that took him there and almost died in a fall while an uncle - running equipment at the bottom of the same basin - watched and extracted him. He stops and stares, too. Part of a grandfather is one summit over. We sometimes have to powow and remind each other why we all left the field. I guess the scars aren't enough.

Bubbles singing The Kittyman
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Nicely played.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

That put a pretty big grin on my face.

Reminded me of some other Canuckistanis.

— Michael

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Though we believed the sea shanties to be fairly unpopular in previous years, Maui believe that they will Rise Again.

Gringo(Stan Rogers)p
    I grew up in Eastern Canada.

Being loserpissed in a bar when the whole drunken crowd joins the band in singing Barretts Privateers is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by smells like feet View Post
    I grew up in Eastern Canada.

Being loserpissed in a bar when the whole drunken crowd joins the band in singing Barretts Privateers is awesome.
    Buddy and I were at a pub when a batch of Scots-Canadians rolled in from the Maritimes. The singing got louder and more fun as they put back more and more pitchers of beer. But one competitive bodybuilder's little blonde wife seemed unhappy. She gave him a few scoldings to knock it off.

The next time he tried to start a song, she reached up; grabbed the back of his head; and slammed his face into the table. He came up with blood pouring out of his nose and a meek apology like a little boy after a spanking. Other than someone handing him a kerchief to pack it, no one batted an eye. They were all still drinking when my friend and I left.

I think that was the same weekend a woman was trolling for company for the night. She enthusiastically told the gentleman next to her about the time she popped out of a cake at her son's bachelor party as the dancer and how classy it was. Dude went back to her room with her. No news if he woke up with both kidneys.

This was the higher class joint in that town, too.

Since we're drifting a bit

Here's the version of "South Australia" I am most familiar with, though the Norwegian shipboard version is still pretty awesome.

"If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Not to be a freaking caricature, but there's a few sea songs I sing to my kid, either on the boat or driving places, or sometimes if he's just down in the basement with me while I'm working on something - I think only a couple are actual shanties, but close enough.

Northwest Passage and Barrett's Privateers already mentioned, by Stan Rogers

Farewell to Nova Scotia, not sure but it sounds old to me and I would GUESS it's mid 1800s

Roll the Old Chariot Along - that's a legit shanty, I believe it's a hauling song

Fifteen Men on a Dead Man's Chest - this is not a real shanty, but a poem written in the 1890s based on the few original lines in Treasure Island, which was later set to music and it's pretty good and I have a decent low range I can drop down to which my kid loves

That's everything I can think of offhand. I have a pretty good head for lyrics (presumably from singing for a rock band for a lot of years) so if I hear it and sing along once or twice it's usually retained pretty permanently and I always thought it would be cool to sing to my kid un-embarrassedly or whatever the word for that would be so even though I'm not actually inclined to sing exactly, I decided I would do that a long time ago and now that I have a kid, those are the songs I am most likely to sing.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I remember when I was learning piano a lot of the sea shanties and Old World folk songs taught me a lot about chord progressions.

For a modern take:

Malinda is one of my favorite InstaTokTube singers.

https://youtu.be/qP-7GNoDJ5c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List