Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Do you truly carry one gun all year?

I was looking at my heart rate this morning dry firing and doing circuit weights (separately) and my heart rate was higher dry firing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So, what we have is a lot of people saying, "Well it's either the j-frame in XYZ instance, or nothing. I'll take the 70% solution that exists (j-frame) over a 100% solution that doesn't exist".

In the end, what we're seeing here is specific tools for a specific and necessary job....not just a "rotation" because someone carries "for fun" as opposed to utility (mentioning just because that topic is popular on the forum right now).
    Yup, I recently had a moment of clarity and realized that it is more of a toggle than a rotation and many things were not getting used besides my M&Ps and J-frames. This realization coincided with a strong yearn for a 1301C, a couple more M&Ps and an RL1100, so I just went through a pretty big purge. Probably the only thing that is worse than a carry rotation is not rotating, I am not a collector and had thousands of dollars' worth of dusty stuff in the safe.

Since August of 2020, a commander sized 1911 in 9mm, appendix, unless I'm working in the yard, then it is in a Galco owb.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Since August of 2020, a commander sized 1911 in 9mm, appendix, unless I'm working in the yard, then it is in a Galco owb.
    The only niche I have open in my tool box is for a 9mm autoloader with a native 10 round capacity. My head says I should get some flavor of P365. My heart wants an commander sized, two-tone, 9mm 1911 with stag grips.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

There's a couple of disconnected points I'll mention.

First, as Todd explained really well in his 'passion of the gun' thread, I think it's important for lots of people and certainly for me to be interested in working with and carrying the gun. There are some super troopers on the forum who can treat the gun as a pure tool and do the work because it's the right thing to do, but most of us really dig guns and that should be honored as it keeps us interested.

The second thing is that I've begun to believe that if I get killed in a gunfight in which I have my gun, it is much more likely to be because of gunhandling than because of either accuracy or speed. Being really, really familiar with what I carry and being able to manipulate it well when in the middle of an adrenaline dump is a big deal to me. It's a reason I avoid small guns.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    There's a couple of disconnected points I'll mention.

First, as Todd explained really well in his 'passion of the gun' thread, I think it's important for lots of people and certainly for me to be interested in working with and carrying the gun. There are some super troopers on the forum who can treat the gun as a pure tool and do the work because it's the right thing to do, but most of us really dig guns and that should be honored as it keeps us interested.

The second thing is that I've begun to believe that if I get killed in a gunfight in which I have my gun, it is much more likely to be because of gunhandling than because of either accuracy or speed. Being really, really familiar with what I carry and being able to manipulate it well when in the middle of an adrenaline dump is a big deal to me. It's a reason I avoid small guns.
    I love 1911s. Saving up as much as possible/side jobs to buy back my Wilson eventually from a friend. With that said, the really cool thing about guns like the 365xl is they are small but not tiny like previous generations of small guns. You can do some good work with a g48 or aig 365x sized gun

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I just went through a pretty big purge.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    the really cool thing about guns like the 365xl is they are small but not tiny like previous generations of small guns
    I think that 4"/12+1rnd configuration is a sweet spot. Part of the reason I did my purge is because I was skipping over the stuff like my Shield and my Kahr, but I think there is a 365xl or PC Shield Plus in my future. I want 4 inches, damnit...

I'm in a very similar state as the OP. With one exception that I only have one kid. I pretty settled on my P2000SK as my one gun. I have G19, and Walther PPS but I'm not into striker fired guns at present so they just sit in my safe. I may occasionally pocket carry a jframe around the house but 95% of the time my HK is with me.

Like others have said, with the current state of the nation, I am not comfortable with only 5 rounds from a revolver. I'm now working on adding a spare 15 round mag for my HK.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I have been carrying a 1911 government in appendix for about 6 years now with 2 spare mags in .45. All year round as well. After having a kid a few months ago, with the current state of the world (more so that I am far from home more frequently with so much crap that has to accompany me wherever I go), I have been doing some soul searching and thinking about switching to one of my P30s or G17.

But there's where the passion of the gun comes in... I love the 1911 and shooting with it gives me the most enjoyment and wanting to get out there. But at the 18-19 hour mark of wearing it, I can feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I love 1911s. Saving up as much as possible/side jobs to buy back my Wilson eventually from a friend. With that said, the really cool thing about guns like the 365xl is they are small but not tiny like previous generations of small guns. You can do some good work with a g48 or aig 365x sized gun
    Observing single stack 1911’s in USPSA, even with skilled shooters, I see enough drama at slide lock reloads, that I think most people would be better off in a shooting with a 365XL with 12 or 15, than 8 in a 1911.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List