Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you truly carry one gun all year?

[QUOTE=Le Français;1320419]Switching between SAO, SFA, and TDA and between full size and subcompact guns is a recipe for being worse at shooting your carry gun than you could be. A "rotation" is for neckties and watch straps, not for items with which we need to perform. No serious competitor would haphazardly switch between very different cars/skis/running shoes and expect to perform optimally, and a self defense shooting is a competition for your life. That said, you do you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 1911Nut; 02-13-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Genuine question:

Why the qualifier of carrying a gun for a living? Why is the issue different for private citizens who don't carry a gun for a living?

From my perspective, how I see it is that it's no different for either of us. My opinion on the matter didn't change when I became a LEO, at least.
    I think it’s a personal choice for me and not necessarily what others should do or decide.

If I’m going to let myself down with my skills or my firearm choice, then it’s only my injury and death that I’m responsible for.

If I’m going to let someone else down with my skills or firearm choice, I’m going to train like a madman and gear up so that doesn’t happen if I can help it.

Home defense for me also takes that upper responsibility and the firearm selection for home defense is very different for me than my personal alone carry.

I’m not trying to be flippant or dismissive, but I take my responsibility to others higher than my responsibility to myself.

[QUOTE=1911Nut;1320776]
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Switching between SAO, SFA, and TDA and between full size and subcompact guns is a recipe for being worse at shooting your carry gun than you could be. A "rotation" is for neckties and watch straps, not for items with which we need to perform. No serious competitor would haphazardly switch between very different cars/skis/running shoes and expect to perform optimally, and a self defense shooting is a competition for your life. That said, you do you.
    The second meme was the one I meant to submit originally. Sorry, too much "Dude"material!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I think it’s a personal choice for me and not necessarily what others should do or decide.

If I’m going to let myself down with my skills or my firearm choice, then it’s only my injury and death that I’m responsible for.

If I’m going to let someone else down with my skills or firearm choice, I’m going to train like a madman and gear up so that doesn’t happen if I can help it.

Home defense for me also takes that upper responsibility and the firearm selection for home defense is very different for me than my personal alone carry.

I’m not trying to be flippant or dismissive, but I take my responsibility to others higher than my responsibility to myself.
    Gotcha. Makes sense. When my issued guns were overseas and I didn't have access to them on R&R trips home to the US, I carried a Kahr PM9 or M45A1 since I purposely don't own spares of my issued guns. I figured the same as you....if I die, I die....oh well (I didn't own the Glock 42 at the time, either).

When those issued guns are available, I try to stick with them, however....or the Glock 42 if the 26 is too big. In addition, I really try to stick with the issued 19 and 26 for legal reasons of carrying on my agency authority instead of LEOSA, and thus having a much greater chance of being scoped by my agency in the event of their use.

I was previously authorized the PM9 on agency authority which is why I still have it, but I've noticed since we switched from the SIG P229 to Glocks that I'm more apt to bugger the trigger press under stress. The DA trigger complemented user compatibility with the SIG well, but not so much the Glock.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

One all year, yes it's a 642 in my pocket.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    FWIW, workout clothes + Mastermind Covert works pretty well. I haven't experimented with heavier guns, but it gets back to normal IWB/AIWB belt carry.

Thanks, Shoresy, I'll check Mastermind out.

Site Supporter
    So when you bring up car racing to support your point and I disagree with it from a racing cars and racing gun standpoint, I should mention that I know about both and disagree.
    I didn't see you make a good argument in favor of a carry rotation (as defined in ToddG's articles linked to by TGS, and as criticized in my earlier posts). The closest you got was arguing in favor of training/practicing with a variety of guns/cars, to increase skill across the board. That's not a disagreement, it's just a different topic.

My point to put it succinctly is:

As long as you’re better than a (rigorous) standard with what you carry, who cares if you match it to your pubic hair color.
    And that is probably enough to win, especially since not carrying a gun at all is probably enough to win.

But, and here is my point, restated again: When you perform better with Gun A, but you choose to carry Gun B, you run the risk that that difference in performance will become relevant at the worst possible time. So, it behooves the serious gun toter to make sure that the reason for choosing Gun B is a good reason. Concealment in an NPE, ballistic performance against grizzlies--these are good reasons and there can be others. What I choose not to take seriously is leaving performance on the table because the finish of the gun matches your nose ring.

Another problem with carry rotations is that there is the possibility that one could get some items mixed up.

For instance, one of the reasons I decided against getting another 1911 in .38 Super or .45 ACP is I could absolutely see myself getting mags mixed up- even if I painted or taped them.

It's one of the reasons I'm looking to move to the Glock 19/26 system.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I didn't see you make a good argument in favor of a carry rotation (as defined in ToddG's articles linked to by TGS, and as criticized in my earlier posts). The closest you got was arguing in favor of training/practicing with a variety of guns/cars, to increase skill across the board. That's not a disagreement, it's just a different topic.

And that is probably enough to win, especially since not carrying a gun at all is probably enough to win.

But, and here is my point, restated again: When you perform better with Gun A, but you choose to carry Gun B, you run the risk that that difference in performance will become relevant at the worst possible time. So, it behooves the serious gun toter to make sure that the reason for choosing Gun B is a good reason. Concealment in an NPE, ballistic performance against grizzlies--these are good reasons and there can be others. What I choose not to take seriously is leaving performance on the table because the finish of the gun matches your nose ring.
    But like that’s your opinion man.

Doesn’t matter if YOU take it seriously.

Doesn’t matter if YOU take the amount of fiber in your cereal seriously.

“Because I like it and am more likely to carry it” is fine enough reason for me.

Especially if the person is a good shooter.

You can choose what you choose to respect.

And choose what you choose to disrespect.

I tend to judge people on their shooting ability or lack thereof when they pontificate on what others SHOULD do.

I feel like they should be training more get the plank out of their own eye rather than dictating doctrine on equipment.

EDIT:
    Sometimes I drive a 911 to work and sometimes I drive a Subaru Outback. Sometimes there’s a reason like a Home Depot run and sometimes it’s just because I want to.

Sure, if I get broad sided by a truck in the 911 I’ll probably wish I was driving the Outback.

But I’m okay with taking those chances. Because the vehicle is mainly for enjoyment even if it might save my life.

If someone wants to apply that to carry guns, who am I to say otherwise as long as they’re competent with all of them.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-13-2022 at 09:15 PM.

I tend to judge people on their shooting ability or lack thereof when they pontificate on what others SHOULD do.

I feel like they should be training more get the plank out of their own eye rather than dictating doctrine on equipment.
    It sounds like you're doing the same thing that you're insinuating The Frenchie of doing.

Most people do not have the time or money to shoot as much as you apparently do. Thus, for most shooters, it behooves them to make decisions based on logic instead of emotion, which was the decision making tree used in the post in question which spurred the discussion about carry rotations.

Like, yeah, I could spend all of my freetime shooting like you do...then I wouldn't have the time or the money to do the other things I want to do in life, as well. There's thing I have, it's called a life. Or, as @breakingtime91 recently detailed, his pullout game is terrible and has a brood of children running around so he only gets to shoot once every few months. So, for the average shooter (including the average well-trained shooter), it's beneficial to stick within a shared platform.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List