Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you truly carry one gun all year?

Do you truly carry one gun all year?

So life kicked me in the nuts the past two years. Between being the primary bread winner, raising four kids, and teaching I have very little time for myself. I am lucky if I get out to my garage gym most days. My kids are 8, 5, 5, and 3. I had to decide what "hobby" would take precedent between weight lifting and shooting, weight lifting won out for stress reasons. I still carry everyday but may go months between shooting. For that reason I had to change guns from a hobby that I love to guns being a tool for my family. I am currently at the point where I have sold most guns that I didn't fill a role and have landed on one that I can carry year round in New Mexico and takes less to stay proficient with. That gun is a 365xl manual safety with a 407k. This is what I plan to carry year round, it isn't ideal but makes the most sense for my situation. I don't have anything else because what time or money I get for shooting needs to be focused on this one gun.

anyone else the same?

Site Supporter
    I carry the standard size P365 about 95% of the time, and would not be unhappy if it was 100%. When carried IWB, I use 12 round magazines. When pocket carried, I use 10 round flat base pad magazines.

it is small enough that I rarely feel the need to go to a tiny .380 anymore, and accurate and powerful enough that I doubt I would wish for something bigger if I need it.

I think your prioritization of physical fitness is wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Almost, but not quite in your one gun situation. If I'm lounging around home or walking distances from home, (dog walk, mail, neighbors) I carry my J frame.

Once I set foot in the truck, I carry my G26. So, a two gun solution that could easily be a one gun solution in favor of the G26.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not 100%, but that's mostly a policy issue. I'm carrying a 43X on duty and a 43X MOS off duty. We aren't authorized optics yet because feet dragging on getting the new GO approved for whatever reason. The dangling of the optics carrot is the main reason I haven't went back to Sig P2XX since returning to plain clothes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not 100%, but that's mostly a policy issue. I'm carrying a 43X on duty and a 43X MOS off duty. We aren't authorized optics yet because feet dragging on getting the new GO approved for whatever reason. The dangling of the optics carrot is the main reason I haven't went back to Sig P2XX since returning to plain clothes.
    Dot is the reason I went with the 365xl.. Plug and play. I spent over 10 years shootings irons on pistol. I can shoot a rds equipped pistol to a much higher standard with less upkeep live fire.

I am settled on a ltt 92 centurion in an SME holster. 2nd gun for when that’s to large is a j frame in a pocket holster.

I have come to the conclusion that committing to one gun (92), will produce the best long term results.

Site Supporter
    Generally, I stay with the Glock 19, though I may transition to the Glock 45 with RMR or the Glock 17. I was the same way when I was on a real job. Though I had a 228, 229, and 239, I almost always carried my issue 226.

The exception is circumstances like workout clothes or, now, ten round magazine limits.

That said, I do have an interest in the 365 or 365XL.

I usually bounce between 3 off duty.
    Shield 45, 1.0 M&P9C with a 2.0 15rd mag and spacer, or a 642 if I just want to drop something in the pocket and go.

The 2 autos are relatively similar other than thickness, just depends if I feel the extra rounds are a better idea on that day.

I carry a 92A1 at work until I switch to an M&P next qual, but then the Beretta will move to off duty use.

I’m more likely to carry the 642 or Shield in the summer, but sometimes go bigger depending on the situation. .

Glock 19 of one flavor or another is a 90% solution for me, and has been my primary carry gun since ~2006. If I'm wearing pants, I'm probably wearing a Glock 19.

I sometimes carry a J-frame as a BUG/vest pocket/ coat pocket gun, and rarely as a primary. I recently picked up a G26, but have not yet carried it much.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with choosing one gun that works for you, and sticking with it. You'll save a pile of money, time, and effort vs a person who has to have every new flavor of the week gun. Nothing wrong with trying new things and learning new guns, if you enjoy it and can afford it (time/effort/money/learning wise).

I fuss with lots of stuff and would like to carry something more capacious in the winter, but the CCO tends to be with me more than 90% of the time. I shoot it really, really well.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List