Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Flite Control 12ga 00 Buck 8 Pellet in stock at Lucky Gunner

Federal Flite Control 12ga 00 Buck 8 Pellet in stock at Lucky Gunner

Title says it all; I have never once seen this load in stock so I thought I'd share. Looks like they have one case of 250, and ~100 boxes of 5.

https://www.luckygunner.com/12-ga-2-...ol-wad-5-round
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Title says it all; I have never once seen this load in stock so I thought I'd share. Looks like they have one case of 250, and ~100 boxes of 5.

https://www.luckygunner.com/12-ga-2-...ol-wad-5-round
    Thanks!
    It’s pricey, but I took the opportunity to bring my inventory up to my preferred level.

$1.20 per round here

As much as I appreciate LuckyGunner for their tests and YouTube content and try to support them when I can, those prices are absurd. The 8 pellet is available by the case for $1.20 per round here:

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/shop/...0rd-case-39678

Also $1.60 per round by the box:

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/shop/...buckshot-38569

I saw this in my email a few days ago but didn't realize it was still in such high demand or I would have posted it here sooner.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    As much as I appreciate LuckyGunner for their tests and YouTube content and try to support them when I can, those prices are absurd. The 8 pellet is available by the case for $1.20 per round here:

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/shop/...0rd-case-39678

Also $1.60 per round by the box:

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/shop/...buckshot-38569

I saw this in my email a few days ago but didn't realize it was still in such high demand or I would have posted it here sooner.
    Thanks for this - just bought the last case (they still have some 5 round boxes).

That stuff is AMAZING. I made a video of my results from my 1301.

I love flight control. I've fired 8 shot flight control and 9 pellet flight control from my Beretta 1301--but not at the same time to be able to compare them. Both shot pretty tight. I wasn't able to get the 8 shot flight control until about a week ago. I the 8 pellet flight control last weekend in a Hardwired tactical Shooting 1 day shotgun class. It did seem to pattern more tightly than the 9 pellet. I could swear that I read about someone who had a Remington tac-13 semiauto birdshead grip shotgun that would run with the 9 pellet Flight control but not with the 8 pellet load.

One thing I will say about flight control is that you have to shoot it out of your particular shotgun at different distances to see where it hits. If you are employing a shotgun with the bead front sight, you may find that the type flight control pattern means you're having to do all types of Kentucky windage & elevation at 50-75 feet to get a decent hit. This could mean that if your aim is off and it's a real-life fast-moving situation, you could miss entirely or get a bad hit at longer distances like 15-25 yards. I can't imagine trying to quickly calculate my aim so I am thinking "Is he at 50 feet where I have to aim 9" low and 4" to the right, or is he at 75 feet where I have to aim 14" low and 7" to the right?" In that case you would be better off trying some other buckshot loads even if they spread a lot more to make sure that you get good hits on the target.

At one point you were lucky during the drought of the past 2 years, people were lucky to find any buckshot. But now we have options. One alternative is the Federal Personal Defense load that spreads more than flight control but is tighter patterning than most buckshot. Here is a picture of the 9 pellet flight control vs the 9 pellet personal defense at 25 yards from my 1301:

Name:  1301 Flight control vs personal defense at 25 yards  - Copy.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  19.7 KB

And below is a picture of Ranger 8 Pellet 00 Buck fired out of the same shotgun. Of course I would take the Flight control to the Ranger 00 buck. Of course the 1301 comes with an adjustable ghost ring sight. So I can adjust the sight if need be. My 1301 seemed dead on with the flight control as it came from the factory. And now it has an Aimpoint H2 with a 6moa dot. But if I was running a shotgun with a bead sight that was significantly off, I would go with a different load.

Name:  1301 ranger 8 pellet at 75 feet - Copy.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  23.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I love flight control. I've fired 8 shot flight control and 9 pellet flight control from my Beretta 1301--but not at the same time to be able to compare them. Both shot pretty tight. I wasn't able to get the 8 shot flight control until about a week ago. I the 8 pellet flight control last weekend in a Hardwired tactical Shooting 1 day shotgun class. It did seem to pattern more tightly than the 9 pellet. I could swear that I read about someone who had a Remington tac-13 semiauto birdshead grip shotgun that would run with the 9 pellet Flight control but not with the 8 pellet load.

One thing I will say about flight control is that you have to shoot it out of your particular shotgun at different distances to see where it hits. If you are employing a shotgun with the bead front sight, you may find that the type flight control pattern means you're having to do all types of Kentucky windage & elevation at 50-75 feet to get a decent hit. This could mean that if your aim is off and it's a real-life fast-moving situation, you could miss entirely or get a bad hit at longer distances like 15-25 yards. I can't imagine trying to quickly calculate my aim so I am thinking "Is he at 50 feet where I have to aim 9" low and 4" to the right, or is he at 75 feet where I have to aim 14" low and 7" to the right?" In that case you would be better off trying some other buckshot loads even if they spread a lot more to make sure that you get good hits on the target.

At one point you were lucky during the drought of the past 2 years, people were lucky to find any buckshot. But now we have options. One alternative is the Federal Personal Defense load that spreads more than flight control but is tighter patterning than most buckshot. Here is a picture of the 9 pellet flight control vs the 9 pellet personal defense at 25 yards from my 1301:

Name:  1301 Flight control vs personal defense at 25 yards  - Copy.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  19.7 KB

And below is a picture of Ranger 8 Pellet 00 Buck fired out of the same shotgun. Of course I would take the Flight control to the Ranger 00 buck. Of course the 1301 comes with an adjustable ghost ring sight. So I can adjust the sight if need be. My 1301 seemed dead on with the flight control as it came from the factory. And now it has an Aimpoint H2 with a 6moa dot. But if I was running a shotgun with a bead sight that was significantly off, I would go with a different load.

Name:  1301 ranger 8 pellet at 75 feet - Copy.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  23.3 KB
    What is that, like a 3" pattern on the top target? That is pretty incredible performance from any buckshot. In my experience even FFC doesn't shoot that tight at 25 yards.

My understanding of the 9 pellet Flite Control in Federal's Tactical line (LE13200), is the same as the 9 pellet Personal Defense (PD13200) loads. They are both Flite Control loads. Interesting the disparity in performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    What is that, like a 3" pattern on the top target? That is pretty incredible performance from any buckshot. In my experience even FFC doesn't shoot that tight at 25 yards.
    I will have to run the shotgun out to the range again when I have a chance--which may be months from now. But my 1301 Flight control shoots incredibly tight with the 9 pellet flight control 00 Buck, and a tad tighter the 8 pellet 00 Flight Control load.

My understanding of the 9 pellet Flite Control in Federal's Tactical line (LE13200), is the same as the 9 pellet Personal Defense (PD13200) loads. They are both Flite Control loads. Interesting the disparity in performance though.
    The 9 pellet Personal Defense that I was using is listed on the box as PD 132 NRA. I don't know if it is the same thing. It does shoot tighter patterns than regular buckshot but not as tight as flight control.
    Bellow is a photo of the box.

Name:  NRA buckshot - Copy.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  29.9 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The PD132NRA load is identical to the 9 pellet FFC LE12700 load in every way I can tell by looking at the shells and the components.

FFC, especially the 9 pellet loads, have varied quite a bit for me depending on the time of production, storage, etc. A few years ago, all FFC wads were white. Within the last couple of years I've seen red and black wads used in FFC loadings. They are back to white wads in what I assume are very recent production shells. I've looked at a lot of FFC wads and there have been very slight differences in physical dimensions in the wads. As I'm not inside Federal's operations, I can't attest to exactly why those variances exist or if there is any intended purpose behind them. It could just be the result of different contractors or different equipment. It could be the result of making deliberate changes based on testing.

If there's a difference in what you see from that NRA load and what you see from a marked FFC LE load, odds are it's a result of when the ammunition is produced rather than any differences inherent to the shell's construction or components. I have recent production FFC and some of the NRA stuff and cutting them both open I can't tell a difference in the components. As best I can tell it's the same shell stuffed into a different box with a different SKU.

In general I have noted that more recent production FFC doesn't shoot as consistently in my guns as when I first started testing it. Even in immaculately clean barrels I'm seeing more variance in the shape and size of the patterns in my guns and less predictable performance in client's guns as well. When I say "less" I don't mean bad or unacceptable performance, just not as good as it used to be. In some guns it runs awesome, but I'm seeing that 25 yard black-of-the-B8 or less style patterning less and less. YMMV.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-16-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The PD132NRA load is identical to the 9 pellet FFC LE12700 load in every way I can tell by looking at the shells and the components.

FFC, especially the 9 pellet loads, have varied quite a bit for me depending on the time of production, storage, etc. A few years ago, all FFC wads were white. Within the last couple of years I've seen red and black wads used in FFC loadings. They are back to white wads in what I assume are very recent production shells. I've looked at a lot of FFC wads and there have been very slight differences in physical dimensions in the wads. As I'm not inside Federal's operations, I can't attest to exactly why those variances exist or if there is any intended purpose behind them. It could just be the result of different contractors or different equipment. It could be the result of making deliberate changes based on testing.

If there's a difference in what you see from that NRA load and what you see from a marked FFC LE load, odds are it's a result of when the ammunition is produced rather than any differences inherent to the shell's construction or components. I have recent production FFC and some of the NRA stuff and cutting them both open I can't tell a difference in the components. As best I can tell it's the same shell stuffed into a different box with a different SKU.

In general I have noted that more recent production FFC doesn't shoot as consistently in my guns as when I first started testing it. Even in immaculately clean barrels I'm seeing more variance in the shape and size of the patterns in my guns and less predictable performance in client's guns as well. When I say "less" I don't mean bad or unacceptable performance, just not as good as it used to be. In some guns it runs awesome, but I'm seeing that 25 yard black-of-the-B8 or less style patterning less and less. YMMV.
    Interesting.

Obviously, each gun needs to be tested to see how it patterns. That being said what loads do you typically see as functioning and patterning best lately? I understand that's a lot to unpack... perbaps phrased better... what loads do you see producing solid B8 black patterns consistanly (or most consistantly) at 25 yards? How about at 15?

I'm guessing LE133 and LE132 and apparently PD132NRA are more frequently found to pattern tighter among your students?

Feeding 00 is pricey, and I'm trying to narrow down the loads to test pattern in my 1301. Once I find a solid performer I want to stock up.
    Last edited by Cory; 02-17-2022 at 06:41 PM.

User Tag List