Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATP AT-205 additive for RMS leak?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yes, and have been since we bought it in 2010 when it had 34k miles on the odometer. Same brand and weight oil with changes every 5k-6k as per the maintenance minder.

Chris
    I would try a high mileage non-synthetic motor oil at the same recommended weight. It doesn't flow as thin as synthetic and may help with the situation. Worth a try anyway.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would try a high mileage non-synthetic motor oil at the same recommended weight. It doesn't flow as thin as synthetic and may help with the situation. Worth a try anyway.
    High mileage oils have some type of conditioner in the oil that acts like the product mentioned. Really no way to solve it outside of repairing the rear main seal.

When my old GMC started weeping between the engine and the transmission, I put half a bottle of AT205 in the crankcase oil and half in the transmission oil and it stopped leaking and has been fine to date. Then again, it would probably run fine on KY-jelly mixed with fryer oil. OTOH, my understanding is that some cars, like Toyotas and Hondas are well known for having issues if you use anything but the OEM tranny fluid so I would not even think about using any additive in one of those or anything with a CVT for that matter.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Having worked on tons of hoopties back in my mechanicing days, I've never found any stop leak product that actually worked.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, I'd be pouring cheaper oil through the engine and onto the ground.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    High mileage oils have some type of conditioner in the oil that acts like the product mentioned. Really no way to solve it outside of repairing the rear main seal.
    I'd repair it properly, but at 15yo and 185k miles, it's not worth it. It's also showing its age and usage cosmetically. It's time for a new family truckster.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    When my old GMC started weeping between the engine and the transmission, I put half a bottle of AT205 in the crankcase oil and half in the transmission oil and it stopped leaking and has been fine to date. Then again, it would probably run fine on KY-jelly mixed with fryer oil. OTOH, my understanding is that some cars, like Toyotas and Hondas are well known for having issues if you use anything but the OEM tranny fluid so I would not even think about using any additive in one of those or anything with a CVT for that matter.
    It's not the tranny that is leaking, but the engine's RMS. It's not a CVT either, but a traditional AT.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Having worked on tons of hoopties back in my mechanicing days, I've never found any stop leak product that actually worked.
    I've never used any of them, preferring to fix the leak, but with the car market as it is right now and this being a new one to me, I thought I'd check into it.

A better solution, though, will be to simply park it in the garage and only pull it out for trips where the other two vehicles won't be suitable until we can replace it. For DD purposes, the hatchback and antique (literally, it's 25yo this year) will be just fine.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I've never used any of them, preferring to fix the leak, but with the car market as it is right now and this being a new one to me, I thought I'd check into it.

A better solution, though, will be to simply park it in the garage and only pull it out for trips where the other two vehicles won't be suitable until we can replace it. For DD purposes, the hatchback and antique (literally, it's 25yo this year) will be just fine.

Chris
    Yea. The car market sucks for sure right now.

Chris
    And with a beater car, why not?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List