Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Experiences

Site Supporter
    Newbie, glad your Dad is doing better. Haven't piled on with the commenting about it until now, but just wanted to say.

I'm stuck at home with it now. I think I've had it since last Thursday, similar to stated above. I had kinda mild fevers at night, mild enough that I didn't really think about them til later. I just kicked the blanket off and was fine. Then got a sore throat that, as above, was the worst one I've ever had. Impossible to ignore. On the 3rd day of that I went to the store and got a box of Allegra-D and the next day it was mostly better, then the day after that completely better. So I was like, OK, I had a cold. Then the next day at lunch I bit into a cheeseburger and couldn't taste it. Took a drink of Dr Pepper, yep, no taste. That was Monday. So today I forced myself to stay home all day and I am bored SILLY. I feel perfectly fine again, just a little stopped up in the sinuses but not bad. Coughed a teensy bit of stuff out of my lungs Saturday, but after that nothing and they feel empty now.

I haven't taken a test yet because I feel like it's a waste of time. I haven't had a fever since Saturday when I realized I needed to be checking myself, and my oxygen level stays at 96% on this doohickey that my parents gave me last Fall "just in case." I was vaccinated with Pfizer in August, no boosters and not really feeling an urge for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Covid has got to be the strangest disease I’ve ever encountered. Here’s my families story:

Jan 1 wife tells me she suddenly cannot taste. Tests on Jan 3 and she’s positive for Covid. We’re both vaxxed. I never distance myself from her (probably stupid but by that point I was pretty sure if I was gonna get it from her I was gonna get it). She recovered her taste and smell in a week without issue. I never got sick and neither did our kid.

January 24 I went to work at 0530 feeling perfectly fine. By 11AM I was sent home due to fever and generally not feeling well. There was just no way I had Covid (note my wife tested positive 3 weeks before and I never had a single symptom. To make my employer happy I took a test on Jan 25. Took 3 days to get results and I came back positive. I had 3 days of fever plus two more days of the worst bout of sore throat I’ve ever had. Plenty of congestion in my sinuses and a cough too. This time the kiddo got sick too, similar symptoms to mine except no fever for her. Kid is all healed up now too.

I’m finally going back to work tomorrow. I’m all recovered except the cough which I’ve been told can linger for a bit. So two breakthrough infections in my home 3 weeks apart plus the kid who hasn’t been vaccinated yet due to age. I don’t know what to say at this point except I’m grateful it wasn’t any worse on us than it was. This is the third time I’ve noticed the kid follows me when it comes to getting sick. For some reason she tends to not get sick when her mom/my wife does, but let me fall I’ll and she’ll have near identical symptoms within 48 hours.
    My sore throat was the worst one I've had in a long time. Last Monday night, things kicked off with an irritating cough and sort of sore throat. Negative home test Tuesday morning. The cough mostly went away Tuesday with just an occasional hack, no production. Overnight Wednesday my throat hurt so bad it was hard to sleep and I decided I must have strep or something instead of covid. Tested positive at home Thursday morning. I think Tylenol helped the throat. My only fever was about 1 degree for a few hours Thursday evening.

Things got notably better by Friday morning. No more sore throat, minor congestion, generally feeling good all around. The cough moved from my throat into my chest and I have a little chest tightness but nothing special and I don't get winded doing easy indoor bike stuff so I expect that to resolve without drama.

My only plot complication is I home tested positive again on Monday evening, so a week after symptom onset and 3-1/2 days after first positive test. Other than that I'd meet the guidelines for ending isolation at the five day after onset mark. I'm laying low for a couple more days.

Mrs. DG has not gotten sick at all.

Site Supporter

Covid Experiences

So my dad is a little weaker today and they had to increase his oxygen. He is still on heated hi flow and sometimes uses the non rebreather.

The nurse caring for him today was less optimistic and thinks things are degrading and mentioned the vent but the Intensivist seemed “more” optimistic today and basically says he should get better and didn’t see the vent in his future.

His oxygen would go down, even hitting the 60s at times, during hard coughing fits, but is otherwise doing well if he’s not coughing.

We’ve talked to him several times today, and while he has what sounds like a dry cough, he can talk for several minutes.

We were warned that set backs may happen but it’s still stressful to deal with. Hopefully it’s one step back and two step forward.

Just an update, and I’m open to any advice from the medical staff, or anyone else with a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So my dad is a little weaker today and they had to increase his oxygen. He is still on heated hi flow and sometimes uses the non rebreather.

The nurse caring for him today was less optimistic and thinks things are degrading and mentioned the vent but the Intensivist seemed “more” optimistic today and basically says he should get better and didn’t see the vent in his future.

His oxygen would go down, even hitting the 60s at times, during hard coughing fits, but is otherwise doing well if he’s not coughing.

We’ve talked to him several times today, and while he has what sounds like a dry cough, he can talk for several minutes.

We were warned that set backs may happen but it’s still stressful to deal with. Hopefully it’s one step back and two step forward.

Just an update, and I’m open to any advice from the medical staff, or anyone else with a good idea.
    Continued prayers, Newbie…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Continued prayers, Newbie…
    Thanks.

Things have improved tonight and he’s about like last night, so better. I am told it’s just a long process.

Is your mother better?

Sorry to hear your dad is sick Newbie, hope he gets well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks.

Things have improved tonight and he’s about like last night, so better. I am told it’s just a long process.

Is your mother better?
    We moved her to skilled nursing for physical rehab. She seems to be past the Covid except for persistent shortness of breath. She’s not in isolation anymore. Thanks for asking.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I have no data for this, but I would guess the US is significantly more obese than Norway, just becaisecthe US IS significantly more obese than almost everyone.
    I'm also willing to bet that Norway didn't put actively infected patients back into their nursing homes either.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Went ahead with it, identifying as immunocomprimised to put the tech at ease. We will see, I guess.
    Anything to report so far? I just got my 2nd booster this morning and haven't felt a thing yet. The pharmacy didn't fill out my cdc card last time so I just acted as though I was getting my first boost. They did fill out the cdc card this time though...

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Anything to report so far? I just got my 2nd booster this morning and haven't felt a thing yet. The pharmacy didn't fill out my cdc card last time so I just acted as though I was getting my first boost. They did fill out the cdc card this time though...
    40 hours in, side effects more or less consistent with the first three shots — some aches and tiredness, didn’t stop me from serving at mass, taking the boy on a train tour, or doing a two mile scout hike. If anything it’s milder. Haven’t grown a third tit, little disappointed.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List