Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So they want to put my dad on a vent. Just maintaining his oxygen with Bpap.

On all the meds they normally give. Remdemsivir etc.

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?
    Prayers to him, you and your family. We may all bicker around the table but in the end we are all tribe.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Appreciate everyone’s help and support.

Things are about the same now. Breaths per minute around range from 14-25. Still on hi flow oxygen. He’s lucid but obviously feels horrible.

Extra Air space around his lungs, but no signs of clots or fluid. Normal white blood cell count. Heated breathing treatments every six hours.

Yes we may still differ on things, but everyone will support each other. Heavy, hope your mother is doing better.

My mother had it a couple of weeks ago, 70 years old, and she had not even what would be classified as a bad cold. She seems to be almost totally fine, other than her energy is a little lower (not much just a little) than before, and the cold air hurts her lungs a bit, though not severely.

My dad is having a hard time drinking or eating, so that’s an issue.

Best wishes to your father, Newbie.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    He seems “slightly” better today.

They tried to sedate him but his heart rate got too low. Took him off of that and he’s better now. Heart rate- 75 Oxygen -94 (on 100% bi-pap) breaths per minute in the 20s

He finally ate a bit.

Extreme discomfort in nose from the forced air.

Nurse had a more slightly positive than negative outlook.

My dads case is eerily similar to my supervisors dad. But his dad is coming home tomorrow so I can only hope my dads goes the same.

ER doctor friend recommended pushing bi-pap as long as possible vs vent, but he also said when they get that bad he’s not the one treating them.

The support I’ve received both here and in person has been humbling.

I have a lot of thoughts about all this that I’ll write up when the outcome is known. We may still disagree on some things but I know we are working towards the same goal of wanting people to be well. Like I say, I have a lot of thoughts now, even more so than before.

One thing I’m impressed with is the level of patience and knowledge the nursing staff has.

Site Supporter
    He seems “slightly” better today.One thing I’m impressed with is the level of patience and knowledge the nursing staff has.
    One thing working at an ER has done is given me a tremendous amount of respect for nurses.

Site Supporter
    I was over with my mom and he called. To say he was loopy is to understate it, but him talking for 30 seconds is a plus. He sounded better (not good but better) than anytime since Friday. The red heeler/collie/mutt mix seems to be curious where he’s at.

Breathing was not great but better and cough was much less.

My supervisor’s dad had the exact same thing. So if anyone else has family going through this, it might be “normal”. However the medical personnel here that see these people everyday would know better what normal looks like.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I was over with my mom and he called. To say he was loopy is to understate it, but him talking for 30 seconds is a plus. He sounded better (not good but better) than anytime since Friday. The red heeler/collie/mutt mix seems to be curious where he’s at.

Breathing was not great but better and cough was much less.

My supervisor’s dad had the exact same thing. So if anyone else has family going through this, it might be “normal”. However the medical personnel here that see these people everyday would know better what normal looks like.
    Really sorry to hear about your dad. Regrettably it is pretty normal for people who have had severe COVID-19 to take a very long time to recover. It sounds like your father's lungs have unfortunately been pretty significantly injured by the virus and his lung function is pretty significantly impaired at this time.

Likely a very long road ahead. From what you've written I would guess he will be in the hospital for a while longer, and likely need to be discharged to some sort of rehab facility afterwards to help him recover from having been so sick for so long. Just want to be open so these possibilities are on your radar.

Will keep him in my thoughts, let me know if I can be of any help

Site Supporter

Covid Experiences

Stomach bugs are the most sick I’ve ever been.

My dad is being brought down on how much more oxygen he needs, at 80% now with heated hi flow and a rebreather for a break. He’s more alert, called my mom last night.

Vitals signs good, limbs are fine, organ function good.

He’s on diuretics to prevent fluid build up on lungs.

Doctor cautioned that things can change for the bad, but right now he seemed hopeful and said my dad is heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the support.

Good news, @TheNewbie!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Covid has got to be the strangest disease I’ve ever encountered. Here’s my families story:

Jan 1 wife tells me she suddenly cannot taste. Tests on Jan 3 and she’s positive for Covid. We’re both vaxxed. I never distance myself from her (probably stupid but by that point I was pretty sure if I was gonna get it from her I was gonna get it). She recovered her taste and smell in a week without issue. I never got sick and neither did our kid.

January 24 I went to work at 0530 feeling perfectly fine. By 11AM I was sent home due to fever and generally not feeling well. There was just no way I had Covid (note my wife tested positive 3 weeks before and I never had a single symptom. To make my employer happy I took a test on Jan 25. Took 3 days to get results and I came back positive. I had 3 days of fever plus two more days of the worst bout of sore throat I’ve ever had. Plenty of congestion in my sinuses and a cough too. This time the kiddo got sick too, similar symptoms to mine except no fever for her. Kid is all healed up now too.

I’m finally going back to work tomorrow. I’m all recovered except the cough which I’ve been told can linger for a bit. So two breakthrough infections in my home 3 weeks apart plus the kid who hasn’t been vaccinated yet due to age. I don’t know what to say at this point except I’m grateful it wasn’t any worse on us than it was. This is the third time I’ve noticed the kid follows me when it comes to getting sick. For some reason she tends to not get sick when her mom/my wife does, but let me fall I’ll and she’ll have near identical symptoms within 48 hours.

User Tag List