Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Experiences

Site Supporter

Covid Experiences

So they want to put my dad on a vent. Just maintaining his oxygen with Bpap.

On all the meds they normally give. Remdemsivir etc.

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Is vent the only real option? Is it better to take a chance on staying with the bpap?
    Very sorry to hear that. Hope and pray he does well.

I need to preface the next bit by stating that I haven't been doing critical care for the past 10 years, and have not been involved with the acute emergent care of covid at all, my focus is outpatient medicine.

Very difficult to answer your question without knowing the exact specifics of the situation. In general critical care physicians use BiPAP as a bridge to maintain someone on their own while you're waiting for something to work. That something can be antibiotics, steroids, Lasix, Etc. Hopefully they will work rather quickly.

If they're not working quickly in the person is just sitting there not improving on BiPAP, then you're faced with a difficult decision of either continuing with it for longer and seeing how things go or going ahead and placing them on a ventilator.

Remaining on BiPAP has certain issues. Patients typically can't eat or drink while on it. They may be tiring out the respiratory muscles. You can run into issues with too much pressure on the skin where the mask is.

And furthermore, most of all, if you wait until they completely tire out before putting them on the ventilator you've now created an emergent situation. And there is a much higher chance of having complications.

If you can put them on a ventilator in a more controlled, calm, elective situation, things tend to go better.

Site Supporter

Well I definitely can't like this post Newbie, but I will say a prayer for your father's recovery and well being.

The information you got from CCMFD is what I would say as well. Too much time on the BiPap can cause it's own set of problems.

You'll be in my thoughts man. Hang in there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys. We may have strong differences but I know we still support each other in tough times.

I just wanted to double check that I wasn’t missing anything. I trust the medical staff here but you know how it goes, you have to ask.

I actually feel bad for the overworked staff who have to enforce insane visitation rules that that likely do not agree with but get the brunt of the misdirected anger from families.

I’ll update everyone, and again thanks.

Hoping for the best, Newb.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    So they want to try a heated bpap first. He is lucid.

If he wasn’t coughing so much I don’t think he would feel so bad.

Site Supporter
    So they want to try a heated bpap first. He is lucid.

If he wasn’t coughing so much I don’t think he would feel so bad.
    @Newbie I’ll be thinking of your Pops and family.

Our own Sensei, who has been doing critical care for covid patients, also covered your earlier question in this post about the dangers of keeping people off of ventilators for too long.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1313074

Site Supporter
    Thanks again.

They said his Bpap settings are normal except for oxygen at 100. They are trying the heated Bpap first and then see what happens. They also mentioned ECMO.

He was doing ok with Covid but suddenly developed a cough and went down hill. He’s not getting a lot worse but he’s not getting better.

Appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I may disagree with some of the pre Covid ideas people have but I do trust the medical personnel once a person gets to the hospital. It’s part of the reason I’ll say thank you, even to a nurse that’s not part of my father’s care.

@TheNewbie I wish you and your dad the best of luck and grace with his treatment and recovery. I’m sorry you are dealing with this.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    @TheNewbie I wish you and your dad the best of luck and grace with his treatment and recovery. I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

Thank you. My dad looks good, can talk some, but it’s simply an oxygen issue. I just at to seem intubated unless it’s the absolute best option. Still, if everyone is telling me the same thing, I tend to trust it.

My dad raised me to deal with tough stuff with a good attitude. He also raised me to question everything and seek know and truth. The questioning part has been a blessing and a curse, and an annoyance to many here and to my supervisors. lol

User Tag List