Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New production 870 Express

First pic I've seen of the updated ejector. Hopefully it will be less prone to breakage which is the whole point of the new shape.

I assume a legacy 870 barrel still fits?

I assume the updated part is also compatible with the old guns. Hopefully that's the case.

@5pins
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-10-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Were these bead sighted guns, perchance?
    Yes. Cheapest 590 you can get.

Name:  B7E97C72-C8B9-47C2-A45D-873CC6E003F4.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  65.8 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    First pic I've seen of the updated ejector. Hopefully it will be less prone to breakage which is the whole point of the new shape.

I assume the updated part is also compatible with the old guns. Hopefully that's the case.

@5pins
    We have been using the new ejector as a replacement part for awhile now. I haven't seen any come back broken yet. My only issue with them is the Brownells tools we use to install the old ones don't work wit the new ejector.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Yes. Cheapest 590 you can get.

Name:  B7E97C72-C8B9-47C2-A45D-873CC6E003F4.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  65.8 KB
    I was afraid of that.

On those, if you can see the bead, the gun is aimed too high. When I'm forced to shoot one of those I actually use the screws on top of the receiver as my aiming point because Mossberg sets the bead so damn low that if you see any gold above the screws you're going to be stupidly high. Remington's pedestal bead is better.

Mossberg insists on using a bead height and a stock comb height that are incompatible with one another. The bead on those guns can work on a 26" or longer barrel, but they're a bloody catastrophe on 18.5" and below. I'd wager Mossberg is "correct" in that there is nothing wrong with the sights on the shotguns in that they are abnormal from Mossberg's usual production. It's just that their theory on the bead is bloody awful and because I'd wager damn near nobody on their staff has any sort of actual knowledge about defensive gauge use they have no idea how catastrophically wrong their setup is.

I doubt it's an option for you, but if you'd like I can put you in touch with an outfit that can get you some inexpensive dots to put on those guns. I figure if you're being handed bead-sighted Mossbergs the odds that you'd be allowed to mount optics are nearly zero, but I have to throw that out there for the sake of my conscience.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-10-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    We have been using the new ejector as a replacement part for awhile now. I haven't seen any come back broken yet. My only issue with them is the Brownells tools we use to install the old ones don't work wit the new ejector.
    When you have a minute can you post side by side of old vs new? Assuming you have any old ones left in the parts drawer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

@5pins
    Vang Comp used that ejector design before licensing it to Remington and my barrels have had no problem fitting my Vang-modified guns.
    3/15/2016

When you have a minute can you post side by side of old vs new? Assuming you have any old ones left in the parts drawer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Name:  remington870_rivet_ejector_spring.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  25.4 KB

That's a good representation of the legacy style ejector. The beefed up nose that Vang included on the newer version does a lot to stop them from breaking...although the spring itself can still break.

The ejector housing itself is most often killed by allowing the magazine cap/magazine extension to get loose, allowing the barrel to move back and forth slightly. That batters the hell out of the nose of the ejector. The revised ejector reduces the play in the interface between the barrel and the nose, but I'd still keep an eye on the magazine cap/extension.
    3/15/2016

@Lon, how many shotguns do you guys have in service/need to buy? Is this one of those situations like @AMC finds himself in where you need a shotgun for no reason other than to teach shotgun at the academy due to a state mandate?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Lon, how many shotguns do you guys have in service/need to buy? Is this one of those situations like @AMC finds himself in where you need a shotgun for no reason other than to teach shotgun at the academy due to a state mandate?
    @TCinVA, thanks for the offer regarding the dots. Not an option, but thanks.

@TGS, we have to teach plain old pump guns in the Academy. There are still a bunch of agencies using pump guns around here. Almost all 870s. The previous commander bought these against the recommendation of his firearm guys so I’m stuck cleaning up the mess. We told him to go with Benelli or Winchester pumps. I’m in the process of getting bent over and raped on a trade deal so I can use the $$ from trade on something better.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Base model 590s. The safeties sucked and we’re almost impossible to deactivate. One cadet sliced his thumb open trying to deactivate it. And they all hit way high with slugs. So bad we had to put duct tape on the stock that had hold under information. And slugs are only shot at 50’. But they would have been out of the scoring area if they aimed center mass. Total shit. They all went back to the factory. The safeties were fixed but Mossberg said there was nothing wrong with the sights.
    Thanks for the info on the Mossbergs. That's disappointing. Hopefully the 870's work out better for your folks, Please keep us posted.

User Tag List