Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New production 870 Express

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It makes sense that new Remington would decide to market these as "a step above" the imported cheap stuff rather than try to compete directly.

I didn't catch MSRP if he mentioned it but as long as these aren't significantly more expensive than the other budget options they should be good. After all the 870 is pretty much the design standard in pump guns.

One thing I do wonder about is making a version with an aluminum receiver. Would this help bring cost down? It would certainly help with weight.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Looks like about $550 retail.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024424485?pid=528622

A couple other random thoughts on barrel indexing and the ejector housing.

One of the clamp-on sling swivels could be used to help keep an extended magazine cap tight. Most of these use a threaded stud with the sling swivel so the gun could still be taken apart in the field if necessary.

I do wonder about a new housing as well. Something that is solid without the step. This should eliminate the weak point although it would no longer be compatible with other barrels. Not without modification.

Another option might be some sort of hardened pin or stud that pokes through the receiver and serves as a barrel index point. Then the housing could be shortened up so it doesn't contact the barrel. The pin could be essentially a rivet that could be replaced if it got damaged or worn.

Lastly, a housing that attaches to the receiver via two bolts or screws might also be possible. That way it could be replaced by the end user more easily.

This is all assuming that the new version of the ejector housing isn't the final fix.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the update OP.

Can anyone confirm/deny if the finish has been changed or upgraded?

They broke so often at our basic academy that the armorer got tired of finishing up the rivets and cold bluing them. He'd just mushroom them, knock the sharp spots off with a file, and put the gun back on the rack for the next class.

The detent in the barrel band doesn't always index properly with the notches in the magazine cap. Also the steel BB of the detent can flatten out the notches in the magazine cap over time. Combine these with the back-and-forth direction of travel of the detent in recoil and the caps will loosen. Soft jaw pliers can be used for extra tightness but the cap can still come loose after a fashion.

Wilson Combat and probably a few others sell a lock washer that fits between the band and the cap. It seems to work okay but is also easily lost or forgotten when the barrel is dismounted for cleaning.
    The detent on the barrel ring needs attention when you clean the barrel and most folks ignore the task. Just take a solvent dampened toothbrush to the detent.

We always seated the barrel by softly dropping the shotgun onto the recoil pad and then tightening the magazine tube end cap. Soft jawed pliers should only be used to loosen the cap, but, again, dropping the shotgun onto the recoil pad usually works in this case, as well as seating the barrel.

The wave mounted washers are for use with express barrels in my experience.

Also, Brownell's has this little nifty tool that can save replacing the front rivet on the 870 if the ejector spring gets broken or wadded up:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...r-prod368.aspx

complete set for replacing rivets:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-prod653.aspx

I have hand filed them pretty level using duck/duct tape to protect the receiver and then hit with cold blue. Doesn't need to be pretty, the side saddle covers them.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    One of the clamp-on sling swivels could be used to help keep an extended magazine cap tight. Most of these use a threaded stud with the sling swivel so the gun could still be taken apart in the field if necessary.
    I believe you are correct; this should add at least a little insurance in many cases... some low-buck, aftermarket sling plates and one-piece extensions are particularly prone to loosening.

The much-maligned factory clamp for factory extended tubes is also a help in keeping everything in place, but that is only if the other components are correctly installed. This clamp is not particularly quick to detach in the field; in addition, I have seen them come from the factory with either a slotted-head screw or a Phillips-head clamping screw.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I am delighted to read about the new Fieldmaster line. I think that is a definite step in the right direction. I will pick one up as soon as I see one locally.

I do have one of those DEA short barrels with the XS sights. It is very fast and efficient. Having said that, it took me about three years to track one down on Gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am delighted to read about the new Fieldmaster line. I think that is a definite step in the right direction. I will pick one up as soon as I see one locally.

I do have one of those DEA short barrels with the XS sights. It is very fast and efficient. Having said that, it took me about three years to track one down on Gunbroker.
    I kick myself for not buying one of those DEA barrels off of Botach when I had the chance.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I kick myself for not buying one of those DEA barrels off of Botach when I had the chance.
    They were oddly ignored at one point, and I even got a closeout price on one. A surprising number of people who are otherwise pretty knowledgeable about things 870 were never - or were only marginally - aware of them, and I suspect that was because they showed up around the time that the patrol carbine was sucking a lot of the oxygen out of the room.

Makers of replacement 870 barrels should consider that as an all-around utility 870 barrel, one of these low-profile rifle sighted "DEA-style" barrels that is also threaded for removable choke tubes would be an exceptionally handy offering.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

OP, have you had a chance to put the new Express shotguns though their paces and pattern them yet? I would also love to hear your opinion on the finish, as that was one of the biggest criticisms during the Freedom Group years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post
    OP, have you had a chance to put the new Express shotguns though their paces and pattern them yet? I would also love to hear your opinion on the finish, as that was one of the biggest criticisms during the Freedom Group years.

Thanks
    I have not. I’m gonna try to do that either tomorrow or the next day. I ordered 2 more of them along w Magpul Stocks and forearms. We start 2 weeks at the range on the 11th so I’ll have more to report after we get done out there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List