Thread: Tikka Scope Mounting issues/questions

Tikka Scope Mounting issues/questions

I have a Tikka T3X in .308 that I have mounted a scope to using a Mountain Tactical rail and SWFA SS Low rings. The Tikka comb is apparently too low for my dolichocephalic head, I have to hold my head up off the stock/chin weld to use it.

The combination that I am using has a optic centerline off the receiver of .375 (rail) + .25 (ring) + .59 (optic) = 1.215 inches.

I could swap it out to a Warne 14TM which would drop that to .460 (ring) + .59 (optic) = 1.05 inches

or

I could swap it out to Talley Lightweight Lows which would drop that to .510 (ring) + .59 (optic) = 1.1 inches

So I could lower it .165 or .115 " of height.

Alternatively I could go with some type of a comb adapter either a stock pack or modify the stock to add comb height or swap out the stock entirely.

Anyone else have this issue with their Tikka? I have never had this problem on other stocks. (Browning/Remington/Savage factory stocks)

If so, what did you do?

You could make things simple and either use a stock pack or add a cheek riser to your stock that allows you to adjust the fit so it fits more naturally.

Below is one on my old .260 R M700

This one has been on there for quite some time and I don't remember the maker but this one on Amazon looks very close and I think may be the same outfit:

https://www.amazon.com/Matthews-Fabr...00G9PN4GW?th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You could make things simple and either use a stock pack or add a cheek riser to your stock that allows you to adjust the fit so it fits more naturally.

Below is one on my old .260 R M700

This one has been on there for quite some time and I don't remember the maker but this one on Amazon looks very close and I think may be the same outfit:

https://www.amazon.com/Matthews-Fabr...00G9PN4GW?th=1
    Do you prefer the adjustable comb like that Matthews or a stock pack?

Any issue with the stock pack wanting to slide forward and fouling the bolt travel?

I actually have an old Blackhawk Hawktex wrap around cheek riser that someone gave me that I have never used. I actually tried that out and because it wraps around the stock on both sides, to get it high enough for a comfortable cheek weld, it also pushes my face laterally away from the scope a similar amount so I get really band scope shadow.

That is why I was wondering if it would be better to go with lower mounts. It looks like the one you have doesn't protrude laterally. Are there other stock packs that just have a raised comb and not make a fatter stock?

None of them are really "one size fits all".

In my previous life we would take pieces of foam pad and tape them to the top of a stock, like on the M24, so it fit the individual shooter.

On stock packs (if you choose that route over building up a cheek piece) you can stack thin slices of foam underneath until you reach the right height for you, then tape it down.

Get into the actual shooting positions you are going to be in though, not just eyeballing it, as in the field you may find that what you thought was right standing up, does not work from the prone.

Also, a stock pack should have something that retains it and keeps it from sliding forward both during recoil, as well as interfering with the operation of the bolt. Most decent ones will have a strap that wraps around the back of the butt stock.

Either way, put a piece of moleskin tape over it when you are done, especially if you go with a kydex cheek riser and you will be good to go.

A cheap simple solution (if you do not mind the looks) is to build up your stock with some closed cell foam and some duct tape. There are tons of pictures of USMC m40 sniper rifles that this solution was used on.

As Lost Creek mentions a stock pack such as a triad tactical or a bolt on kydex riser are more elegant solutions for injection molded stocks like most tikka's. The riser in his picture looks like a Karsten (he was on of the first to offer kydex cheek peices) but it could be a Mathews also they are similar...
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

User Tag List