Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P holsters- thumb safety security?

Site Supporter
    Until @Tony Mayer gets on here to speak for himself, Ill offer that I’m pretty sure I remembered a thread a long time ago where he said he can mold the safety either trapped on or off if you let him know upon ordering.

I can offer information wrt the Wing Claw 2.5 that I just received. I absolutely love it btw. I believe this holster is designed to force the safety to the disengage position upon insertion of the pistol; regardless of design, it does this. There should be no difference in safety between an M&P holstered with the safety off and one with it on. However, should you forget to deactivate the safety upon presentation, the holster has already done it for you. You retain the benefit of having the safety protecting you as you holster the pistol. This may be why he doesnt recommend the holster trap the safety on for the M&P, failing to deactivate it under duress or stress.
    Name:  27CD50E2-D15B-4489-95DC-C0749D100DB7.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  30.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Until @Tony Mayer gets on here to speak for himself, Ill offer that I’m pretty sure I remembered a thread a long time ago where he said he can mold the safety either trapped on or off if you let him know upon ordering.

I can offer information wrt the Wing Claw 2.5 that I just received. I absolutely love it btw. I believe this holster is designed to force the safety to the disengage position upon insertion of the pistol; regardless of design, it does this. There should be no difference in safety between an M&P holstered with the safety off and one with it on. However, should you forget to deactivate the safety upon presentation, the holster has already done it for you. You retain the benefit of having the safety protecting you as you holster the pistol. This may be why he doesnt recommend the holster trap the safety on for the M&P, failing to deactivate it under duress or stress.
    Name:  27CD50E2-D15B-4489-95DC-C0749D100DB7.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  30.7 KB
    TOTS, that holster was not set up for the safety. We either screwed up and didn't include safety blocking for the holster or it wasn't ordered as a 365 w/ Safety. Either way we don't want our holsters to have a feature that disengages the safety. Please email me at sales@jmcustomkydex.com and we can get you squared away.

We can trap a the safety on with 1911's ( you do need to email us that you realize it is up to the end user to engage the safety prior to re holstering) but really don't do it anymore on anything else, accept for the new SA-35 holsters we have in the pipeline.It is a feature you have to ask for, as it's not standard. We do cover the body side safety on MP's, Sig 365's and Hellcats so the end user can engage or disengage the safety while the pistol is in the holster, but we don't trap those safeties anymore. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

I explained it a bit in the above thread, but we only trap the safeties on 1911's and will be doing the SA-35, upon request and once the end user has given us a written statement that they realize that it's not the holsters job to re engage the safety. It's also going to be a slight up charge as well moving forward.
    Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    We do cover the body side safety on MP's, Sig 365's and Hellcats so the end user can engage or disengage the safety while the pistol is in the holster, but we don't trap those safeties anymore. Thanks
    Hi Tony,

Firstly, I've got a whole bunch of your holsters and really like them.

I'm curious exactly why you've arrived at this practice quoted above? I've been thinking about standardizing on guns with manual safeties, and I thought this "feature" would be nice, but maybe there is something I'm not understanding about it? What is the downside of trapping them on safe?

For the record, I would never deliberately use a holster to activate a manual safety. The whole reason I want a manual safety is for holstering purposes. I like to trap an ambi safety in the on position with the base of my trigger finger like Todd Green used to do with his 1911s. This gets my trigger finger to an extremely high place of register and serves as a secondary way to make sure the safety is in the correct position before holstering.

For anyone who is interested, here is one place Todd Green outlined his holster technique with a ambi thumb safety (1911).

I like it and have taken to doing it even with no hammer involved. The thumb can make sure the slide is in battery.

https://pistol-training.com/appendix-controversy

From Todd:
    "For what it’s worth, my personal step by step process when holstering my current carry gun (a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety) is:

1 Come to a hard break at my ready position. Thumb goes under safety lever, activates safety, and then goes back on top of lever.

2 Consciously verify — visually and by feel — that my finger is away from the trigger guard in a register position along the frame.

3 Clear my cover garment with my support hand.

4 Strong hand thumb moves from safety lever to hammer, blocking it in place (cocked) so if the trigger is somehow pulled I can trap the hammer and prevent a discharge.

5 Trigger finger moves up from register position to block the ambi (right side) safety lever, preventing it from disengaging into the FIRE position accidentally.

6 Lean back slightly.

7 As gun begins to enter the holster, pull the grip into my stomach while angling the muzzle outward."

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Hi Tony,

Firstly, I've got a whole bunch of your holsters and really like them.

I'm curious exactly why you've arrived at this practice quoted above? I've been thinking about standardizing on guns with manual safeties, and I thought this "feature" would be nice, but maybe there is something I'm not understanding about it? What is the downside of trapping them on safe?

For the record, I would never deliberately use a holster to activate a manual safety. The whole reason I want a manual safety is for holstering purposes. I like to trap an ambi safety in the on position with the base of my trigger finger like Todd Green used to do with his 1911s. This gets my trigger finger to an extremely high place of register and serves as a secondary way to make sure the safety is in the correct position before holstering.
    There is not a downside structurally, it's just not something we do as standard for liability reasons without the customer giving us the written statement I've already mentioned.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    That's odd. I will have to double check, but the JMCK holster I have for my M&P9c doesn't allow the safety to be deactivated once holstered.

I dont know if it activates it upon bolstering because I have never tried, I was just concerned that it would be swept off in the holster like was the case with prior holsters I had used.
    Belated follow up, finally dug out the M&Pc and the JM holster, and it will both force the safety onto safe when holstering, and very definitely keep it from coming off while it is holstered.

Based on comments from JM in this thread that is no longer the standard, so when I order another for my M&P45 I will have to remember to ask that it be included.

User Tag List