Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Another Prime series - LOTR - The Rings of Power

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    God, I’m going to really start sounding like the neckbeard I was trying to stay away from. @MVS gave a great response. I enjoyed it and can’t wait to see the following seasons. But it’s just not the same story. As long as you keep that in mind, you can enjoy it. The more of the story you know, the harder it is to accept. For example, at the risk of being argumentative, since we’re looking at Galadriel, at the time we’re watching, she’s literally thousands of years old. She’s had time to mature. That’s the whole point of the elves; to stoically contrast with the men. Timeless and immortal vs emotional and temporary. And she’s literally one of the first and oldest of the ruling family of elves. (same generation as the king and thousands of years older than Elrond) Instead, all the male elves sort of treat her like an impetuous teen. Contrast that with the movie where she’s an elegant and powerful queen of almost unequalled power. I’m just saying she’s a whole different character. Similarly, those twists they attempted weren’t surprising to the previous fans and fall flat, causing eye-rolls instead of interest. Everything is just wrong. It’s just a different story. I can believe I’m in Middle Earth…just not Tolkeins Middle Earth. I’m ok with that; it just makes me sad how much potential was wasted. And I’m not sure that’s actually Gandalf. Now that would be a twist!
    I didn’t realize Galadriel was so old.

I agree, it’s not the same story. Made for this media, it couldn’t be. My wife and I didn’t like this Galadriel because the Galadriel we know is a statesman, not a warrior. But she grew on me. She’s driven, focused to the point she ignores everything else and obviously young. It’s her strength and her flaw. I can see her developing into the Galadriel we meet in the Third Age.

I’m looking at this series as part of a shared world anthology. I think they’ve been respectful to the source material. More respectful than THE HOBBIT was, but I digress.

Don’t feel like a neckbeard, or like you’re starting an argument. I understand being passionate about the fictional works we love. As for myself, I loved reading THE HOBBIT. Reading the LOTR books for me is a grind. I love the story, the characters and the world. But I really have to put in a lot of work to read the trilogy.

I don’t think you’re wrong. It’s just I’m really enjoying the series. I might feel different if I’d read THE SILMARILLION and other stories.

When I say it feels like I’m in Middle Earth, it doesn’t mean exactly as Tolkien write it. But the series has captured the wonder I imagine I’d feel if I found myself in Tolkien’s Middle Earth.

I might be biased. The Elves in RINGS OF POWER are similar to the Elves in our own story telling world- devious, manipulative, stoic, urbane and dressed in the height of Roman fashion.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

PS- I think the wizard with the Harfoots is Gandalf. It would touch on why Gandalf has always had a soft spot for Hobbits.

I’m hoping this is what happened to Gandalf after he fell into the depths of Moria fighting the balrog.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    PS- I think the wizard with the Harfoots is Gandalf. It would touch on why Gandalf has always had a soft spot for Hobbits.

I’m hoping this is what happened to Gandalf after he fell into the depths of Moria fighting the balrog.
    They definitely set it up to where it could be Gandalf. They had him say several things that Gandalf said in LOTR and talking to insects etc. I’m not sure, though, because sometimes the writers stick to source material and sometimes they don’t. Tolkein’s Gandalf said he had never been in the East. Rhun is the East, where the two are heading at the end and the three magical characters said he was from. I would like to see him as one of the Blue Wizards since they don’t have a strong presence anywhere else in the shows. But Gandalf is very identifiable by casual watchers so that may be too convenient for the writers to pass on. The writing really is the only issue I have with this show.

For instance, and a huge question I have: if Halbrand is Sauron, how did he get so injured fighting the Orcs that the only way to save him was taking him to the elves? He’s pretty much immortal. If the answer is he allowed himself to appear injured enough to fool Galadriel into taking him to the Elves so he could influence the creation of the rings that no one knew about… see where I’m going?

From what I understand Sauron is killable, but the problem is making sure he stays dead. We know he can suffer mortal wounds.

Sauron corrupts people. Maybe not to get them to specifically create the rings, but definitely to create a situation he can take advantage of. Sauron is long lived and plays the long game.

In the RINGS OF POWER, Sauron assisted making the rings- or at least the Mithral alloy. I think he’s picked up enough knowledge to forge The One Bank- I mean Ring in Mount Doom.

Did Gandalf say he’d never been to the east before or after his battle with the Balrog?

I hope it is not Gandalf. We know how he showed up and this wasn't it. Also he came in the 3rd age not the 2nd. Not sure what you mean about after he fell fighting the Balrog, that happened thousands of years after the Rings of Power timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I hope it is not Gandalf. We know how he showed up and this wasn't it. Also he came in the 3rd age not the 2nd. Not sure what you mean about after he fell fighting the Balrog, that happened thousands of years after the Rings of Power timeline.
    You’re right.

After Gandalf came back, he said he traveled long and far. It’s possible he traveled back in time. I’m not a big fan time travel in general, but it would be interesting in this case.

You’re right.

After Gandalf came back, he said he traveled long and far. It’s possible he traveled back in time. I’m not a big fan time travel in general, but it would be interesting in this case.
    I had never thought of that, I hope not but I wouldn't put anything past these writers.

You’re right.

That was my thinking as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List