Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Prime series - LOTR - The Rings of Power

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My best memory of the LOTR was that I was binge reading the books and tanked a chemistry test. My dad: Yelled - stop reading about those Goddam elves and study.

Given Sauron's folks had explosives - why didn't the Nazgul just bomb the crap out of Gondor and Helm's Deep? Why do those civilizations stay middle age tech for thousands of years?

Liked the initial Feist Riftwar books and the related Empire series but he fell apart in the last wave of books.
    *mega nerd hat on*

I'm pretty sure it was Sauruman that had explosives, and he was aligned with Sauron, but mostly in secret. He might have been keeping things close to the vest because he was contending with Sauron for a while. Also, the explosives were likely a bit magical in nature, and not easily adapted to mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Based on Amazon's track record with fantasy series, I expect a homosexual elf sex scene about halfway through…
    As long as it’s female elves on the order of Lady Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) or Arwen (Liv Tyler), then I’m totally OK with that. LOTR meets Game of Thrones could get very interesting.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

When I read that the new Amazon series was going to feature more DIVERSITY in the characters I figured it would be a disaster if that's what they are focused on.

Maybe we will see genderfluid Orc-Elf hybrids in a physical relationship with gay Ents?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As long as it’s female elves on the order of Lady Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) or Arwen (Liv Tyler), then I’m totally OK with that. LOTR meets Game of Thrones could get very interesting.
    The Tolkien estate would have anyone suggesting it wake up next to the severed head of an oliphant.

The trailer looks good. Someone mentioned snatching the arrows out of the air to return fire. That wouldn't even rate a top 10 finish in the elven gymnastics based on what Legolas got up to in the movies.

Of course, I'm willing to give WoT season 2 a shot after the absolute debacle of the season 1 finale. Lots of shows don't find their footing right away. Even when they're basically handed source material that sold a few million copies, some crayons and the literary equivalent of a paint by numbers coloring book. So this one might start off rocky and turn out okay. Wouldn't be the first time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Based on Amazon's track record with fantasy series, I expect a homosexual elf sex scene about halfway through.

At this point I'm just hoping it's elves and not dwarves.
    Well, what can you expect when there ARE no Dwarf women? That Dwarves just....spring out of holes in the ground!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    When I read that the new Amazon series was going to feature more DIVERSITY in the characters I figured it would be a disaster if that's what they are focused on.

Maybe we will see genderfluid Orc-Elf hybrids in a physical relationship with gay Ents?
    What about some Orc-ing Pork-ing? I recall that someone - maybe Frodo had a vision of what happens if Sauron wins. Looks like the Shire becomes industralized and the hobbits have to go to work in the plant. Hey, did Sauron win on our Earth?

I also thought the representation of Gimli was ridiculous - some old fat guy with play-dough lumps on his face.

Bio - I think you are right about Saruman having the explosives.

LGBTQ+LOTR=?

(Anybody's guess)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

To put my mega nerd hat on, one of the themes of the Middle Earth books is the slow collapse of civilizations. Gondor was just a minor outpost of what was the mighty empire of Numinor- an empire mighty enough to conquer Mordor and capture Sauron- and that when he still had the one ring.

According to some of the unfinished material, the armies of Numinor were equipped with "bows of hollow steel". But the knowledge of how to make them, like so many other things, was lost over time.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I tuned out when I saw that guy grab the arrow in slow motion and shoot it back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

See @3.07

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Touche sir, I have seen that video before its pretty amazing what that guy can do. Even still I'm still skeptical about the show, I'm hoping I'm wrong and it kicks ass.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

User Tag List