Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol mounted optic for dummies

Pistol mounted optic for dummies

In the countless "what gun should I buy?" threads the answer is always invariably some form of "just start with a G19, ammo and training".

I'm just starting to dip my toes into the world of pistol mounted optics and the amount of optics and backup irons and mounting solutions is a bit overwhelming as someone who hasn't really followed the dot evolution over the last 5 years or so. If there is such a thing, what is the "just buy a G19" solution to pistol mounted red dots and backup irons?

I'd be running this on a G19 MOS as an edc gun carried aiwb. The common theme seems to be some variety of holosun but beyond that I'm lost.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I’m still wet behind the ears optics wise, so to speak, but my answer to this for a Glock 19 MOS would be a Forward Controls plate and a Holosun 507c from Brownell’s. For BUIS I’d suggest Ameriglo GL-470s.

@VT1032

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/208.html

It’s new and bolts directly to the MOS cut, no adapter.

Name:  65C30614-2989-4125-8465-572847360813.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  17.2 KB

And it’s low enough that you don’t have to change your current regular sights out at all.

It’s the easy button that is also the awesome button.

Depends on your budget and how sensitive to printing you are.

In my opinion, there is no reason not to go with a closed emitter optic on a defensive gun any more. If I were starting over with today's options, I'd get a 509T. It's the same size as the 507C and RMR.

I'd also consider the Holosun EPS, acknowledging that it's new and unproven (so not exactly Glock 19 like)
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @VT1032

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/208.html

It’s new and bolts directly to the MOS cut, no adapter.

Name:  65C30614-2989-4125-8465-572847360813.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  17.2 KB

And it’s low enough that you don’t have to change your current regular sights out at all.

It’s the easy button that is also the awesome button.
    Are those available? I read somewhere they wouldn’t be released until the middle of the year. I’m wanting to try one out.

Site Supporter
    I like enclosed emitter optics for concealed carry because open optics tend to act like a bucket for lint, dead skin, and other stuff. Cleaning the inside of the optics regularly gets old fast. I've used the Acro and the Holosun 509T quite a bit. I prefer the 509T. For the MOS cut, the TD plate for the Acro or the Holosun MOS plate for the 509T are both good options. I like Dawson's MOS sights, but a lot of people like the Ameriglos. Getting the sights as low as possible in the window where they are still usable is definitely optimal.

I'm in the "will go with the G19 MOS + Holo SCS" once available camp.

I really, absolutely, positively don't want to mess around with adapter plates and oversized backup irons.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm in the "will go with the G19 MOS + Holo SCS" once available camp.

I really, absolutely, positively don't want to mess around with adapter plates and oversized backup irons.
    It doesn't get rid of the main point of failure in the mounting system since it still relies on screws, which, in the case of the MOS screws, are tiny. The most robust mounting system is going to be a direct milled 509T or Acro. With an Acro or 509T plate, you have the same number of tiny screws as you will with the SCS, but get the benefits of a closed emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    It doesn't get rid of the main point of failure in the mounting system since it still relies on screws, which, in the case of the MOS screws, are tiny. The most robust mounting system is going to be a direct milled 509T or Acro. With an Acro or 509T plate, you have the same number of tiny screws as you will with the SCS, but get the benefits of a closed emitter.
    I get that part. I also don't want to mess around with direct milling either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Ask again in about 6 months.

There is just too much changing too rapidly.

Up until six months ago I would have said a Trijicon RMR Type 2. It's still tried and true.

I'm now in the enclosed emitter camp and would say a Holosun 509T or Acro P-2.

I'm looking forward to picking up a Holosun EPS the first chance I get. I have a feeling that may be a great option for a G19 sized gun.

I hope an American company will get off its butt and come out with a solid small closed emitter soon. The closest thing may be the SIG Romeo2 if they ever release the damn thing.

User Tag List