Thread: Revolver Grip

Revolver Grip

One of the folks I shoot with is a revolver "person". Not being such myself I wonder if the different grip versus an auto-loader necessitates shooting with significantly bent arms similar to what many competitors employ shooting rimfire pistol in steel challenge. He's not a close friend and I'm not one to provide unsolicited advice, but for a sport requiring very fast transitions the short arms seem unusual. He would definitely benefit from more hip rotation to stay behind the gun (IMO).

Not in my experience does the revolver neccesitate less extension of the arms.

I also have never experienced a correlation in arm extension vs. transition speed either.

I do experience a correlation in arm extension and recoil control.

When I shot Rimfire Challenge, Steel Challenge, IDPA, and IPSC with a round gun I used a Modern Isosceles stance with elbows slightly bent, arms extended, and a thumbs down grip and managed to fate pretty well. Lots of newer shooters tend to bring the gun in close in an effort to mitigate recoil and maintain a sight radius.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

What cartridge(s) does he shoot?
    Some people do better (with heavier recoiling revolvers) using more bent arms.
    Especially if they've had prior or existing elbow injury or issues.

It seems to me the focus should be on the grip first and then stance. Should the heels of the hands be pressed together as Seeklander and others recommend for auto-loaders? (And, consequently, lowering the elbows to help facilitate pressure at the heels) Does this technique interfere with the thumbs down approach? Some competitors use the pad between the first joint and tip of the forefinger typically used with auto-loaders (and some revolvers grips are set up for this such as the Ruger Hogue or Match Champion grips vs the older Lett style grips on GP's) versus the more traditional first joint.

I like the heel pressure approach but am not sure it is the right technique for revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    ...rimfire...
    This word changes everything. The relative lack of recoil gives you some latitude that you don't get with centerfire cartridges.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List