Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pocket holster for 2” J-frame?

Site Supporter
    Back when I was regularly pocket carrying j-frames, I tried a bunch of pocket holsters. Leather, Kydex, various fabric-based ones, etc. The only ones I found that worked well for me were the Uncle Mikes and Desantis Nemesis. I preferred a holster that conformed to me and the gun and flexed around movement. The Uncle Mikes were cheaper and available at places like Walmart if you needed a quick replacement.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Another vote for Aholster, which is currently the best pocket holster I have ever used. I suggest wrapping some moleskin around the pocket hook by the rear sight so that it extends a short distance past the end of the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why do you feel that is necessary.........just wonderin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    I think some of the corners were a little pointy and eating pants pockets. The mole skin fixed that. For what it’s worth, I have two Aholster backbones and neither had that issue.

Jason

Not answering for BillSWPA but I have 3 A-Holsters, 2 J/LCR and 1 for a slime 9mm Shield that I purchased in 2018. I carry my .38 LCR in one daily.
    When I purchased mine in 2018 they had a very sharp point to the hook and it would tear up a pocket. I just took an emery board to it an sanded it down. Still works great and hooks solidly with a slight forward push motion when drawing imho.

I thought I read on here where A-Holster has lessened that sharp point on later models.

I simply sanded down the pointy projection on my Aholster, and Bill followed suit after I mentioned doing so. Then he found that he liked wrapping them with moleskin for either added protection or additional grip in the pocket.

Mine was perfect after a couple of minutes with some sandpaper. This was done a few years ago.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I apologize for the delay in response, but I have been unable to get to the forum for most of last weekend.

There are two ways to avoid showing the gun in the pocket: to minimize the total bulk, or to disguise the bulk as something else. The Aholster is the best holster I’ve ever seen at the former. It adds almost no bulk to the total package that must be concealed.

The shape of the bottom of the holster, which curves upward to correspond to the typical shape of a pocket, and slightly inward to correspond to the shape of a thigh, keeps the gun in a vertical orientation. Many other holsters use a straight bottom. The bottom corner under the grip of the gun pushes against the bottom of the fabric, canting the gun and causing a much bigger bulge in the pocket. A few very expensive pocket holsters create this problem.

The level of retention is correct, keeping the gun in the holster and the trigger area completely protected, while also quickly separating from the gun during a draw. A pocket holster should not have the same level of retention as a holster, which is connected to a belt. Although I never place anything else in the same pocket, the guns I pocket carry have short, light triggers, which must be protected by the holster.

Either the hook under the grip or the hook adjacent to the rear sight, can catch the lip of the pockets who help separate the gun from the holster. Unfortunately, the hook by the rear sight is also good at punching holes in pockets. I wrap a couple of layers of Moleskin around this hook, which eliminates this problem, while still permitting it to perform this function perfectly. The cylinder of rolled foam extends a short distance past the end of the hook. I do this even with the newer style of blunted hook.

The Aholster with a P365 is the first combination I have seen above a tiny .32 or .380 which I would consider NPE worthy depending on the choice of dress slacks. I also have these holsters for a G26, which is a very good test of a pocket holster’s ability to keep the gun concealed.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-26-2024 at 12:18 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Front pockets aside.....what about rear pants pocket....same.

Site Supporter
    Front pockets aside.....what about rear pants pocket....same.
    For rear pocket carry I suggest looking at SouthNarc’s posts on this page of this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Pistol/page28
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Just arrived... my A holster "Backbone" today for front pocket carry...S&W Mod. 36.....this design is genius, couldn't be happier with the holster...disappears in my front jeans pocket....does exactly what it's described to do.....get one, ya won't be sorry.

I fitted one of my .327 LCRs with a Hamre Forge Hook grip. This is how I pocket carry it in my Levi's. An untucked shirt conceals it. It doesn't shift unless I manually move it and it's very comfortable, especially when sitting. I forget it's there.

When carrying a revolver, I carry an LCP II .22 LR in a Desantis Nemesis in my back pocket as a BUG.

Name:  20231223_165000.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  101.0 KB

User Tag List