Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is ball still best for .380 ACP Ammo for mouse guns?

Is ball still best for .380 ACP Ammo for mouse guns?

Currently I must carry my LCP II 8-5 on a daily basis due to the NPE I am in until the end of the year. Unfortunately my P365 is just a bit too bulky.

Is high quality ball ammo still the best choice for .380 mouse pistols? I am running Speer Lawman right now.

I know this has been discussed before but I just want to check to see if anything has changed significantly.

The new 99-grain Hydra-shok Deep is arguably the best .380 load, if you can find any for sale. It runs reliably in my LCP-II.

I'm still running ball in my Kahr .380.

I still use the legacy Hydrashok.

When I run out of that, I'll buy Hydrashok Deep. It's incrementally better than the legacy Hydrashok; a little more penetration and expansion on BG, but just like legacy Hydrashok is still inconsistent on obstructed shots. That's not really a problem in my opinion since the only other suitable alternative is FMJ which is guaranteed to have zero expansion, excessive penetration and more deflection in ALL scenarios.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

@DocGKR's take on .380 in general:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post270146

I use Underwood/Lehigh XP +p in my .380s with the goal of adequate penetration (even through heavy clothing) without deflection, while sacrificing expansion. The 90gr XP chonos at 1000fps from my Kahr p380.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The Hornady FTX has been readily available lately and seems ok in the Lucky Gunner tests.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The Hornady FTX has been readily available lately and seems ok in the Lucky Gunner tests.
    Yet it performed poorly in Clear Ballistics Gel in the Ammo quest tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5TJ...&index=11&t=1s

It did better in real organic gel with 4 layers denim in the Ammo Quest tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAyU...QRbdg&index=22
    Last edited by 4given; 02-04-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use Underwood/Lehigh XP +p in my .380s with the goal of adequate penetration (even through heavy clothing) without deflection, while sacrificing expansion. The 90gr XP chonos at 1000fps from my Kahr p380.
    I came the the same conclusion for the LCP and G42 and that is the ammo I deploy. The Underwoods are very accurate and reliable in both my .380's. Too expensive for being practice ammo of course.

I invested in the Hydrashock deep when they first came out and bought about 140 rounds hoping it was the new answer. I shot 100 rounds in testing them and had one feed ramp hang up on both my G42 and one in my LCP. For me that eliminated the round from consideration. 2 FTF out of 100 rounds is outside my tolerance for a defensive pistol.

I both cases it was that thin corregated jacket mouth that caught on the very edge of the barrel ramp. Could have been magazine related, could have been something polishing the edge of the barrel ramp solved. But not some place I am willing to go when I have >100 trouble free rounds in each with the Underwood Leheighs.

If somebody is in AL or passing through and wants to buy my remaining stock of the hydrashock deep, PM me, but I am not jumping through the hoops of shipping ammo, especially since I live 50+ miles from the nearest UPS depot.
    Last edited by fatdog; 02-04-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Not in the states, so my ammo situation differs. But after my S&B ball supply dried up, I resorted to loading 75gr Monolithic solids for my G42. It only gets carried when running, and as much as I'd love to have factory ammo, 380 ammo choice here is extremely limited.

User Tag List