Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syntech 150 Action Pistol for EDC and Home Defense ?

Syntech 150 Action Pistol for EDC and Home Defense ?

I have hollow points, Sig V Crown 124grain 9mm in both my 365X and 365XL for Concealed Carry.

Also have same bullet in Home Defense Gun, Beretta M9A4.

But thinking about either mixing in or using exclusive 150 syntech. I have been using it at USPSA matches (I’m not good), but thinking for Home Defense the Low Noise and reduced recoil might work. The bullet isn’t moving very fast, say 870 FPS, but would a couple of shots stop an attacker. I know the muzzle energy is only around 260ft lbs or so…………….

It wouldn’t do as much damage to my hearing inside my house, and I wonder if it would make a good suppressed round, my Omega 9k should be out of suppressor jail by September.

Any opinions ?

Thanks
    365XX

There's an ammunition subforum for these sorts of questions.

I suggest you go there and do a bunch of reading of the stickied threads. Not too much has changed in the last 10 years.

Short answer, no. No.

Sorry I didn’t put it in the right area.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    I have hollow points, Sig V Crown 124grain 9mm in both my 365X and 365XL for Concealed Carry.

But thinking about either mixing in or using exclusive 150 syntech. I have been using it at USPSA matches (I’m not good), but thinking for Home Defense the Low Noise and reduced recoil might work. The bullet isn’t moving very fast, say 870 FPS, but would a couple of shots stop an attacker. I know the muzzle energy is only around 260ft lbs or so…………….

It wouldn’t do as much damage to my hearing inside my house, and I wonder if it would make a good suppressed round, my Omega 9k should be out of suppressor jail by September.

Any opinions ?

Thanks
    365XX
    I haven’t seen gel tests for the 150 Syntech. I’d guess it’d have little or no expansion and a lot of penetration. That may not be what you want for a self-defense round inside the home.

You might want to try some of the 147 gr defensive rounds.

It wouldn’t do as much damage to my hearing inside my house,
    Welcome from Florida.

I am far from an expert, but: The perceived noise and recoil from 150 Syntech vs a JHP will be near as dangit identical. Selecting a competition round such as Syntech (which works well for USPSA) in place of a proven, effective, reliable hollow point for self defense makes no sense to me.

There is a lot of excellent information in the Ammo subforum, including threads by Doc Roberts; the gist of which usually something along these lines: "select a reliable, effective self-defense cartridge that is available in quantities you need, make sure it runs in your gun, then forget about it and worry about shot placement", or words to that effect.

...and I wonder if it would make a good suppressed round, my Omega 9k should be out of suppressor jail by September.
    I know less than zip about suppressors; sorry, can't help there.

Any opinions ?

Thanks
    365XX
    I haven't seen the Syntech hollow point in that weight, but there may be one. I believe the defensive Syntech was in the 130ish range (didn't pay too much attention, as it was more then my HST or Gold Dots).
    You might compare it to 147 grain hollow points for recoil.
    As for would a couple of shots stop an attacker, no way to tell. If someone isn't on drugs, I expect getting shot with anything, would make them want to leave and find an easier target.
    Do you wear hearing protection in your house always? Not sure any round out of a gun is good for that.

Any opinions ?

Thanks
    365XX
    You're way overthinking this and getting lost in the weeds when you're worrying about hearing loss like this. Moving to the appropriate subforum.
    #RESIST

I agree about overthinking the problem. Using a bullet not designed or tested for defense purposes is not worth the possibly lower noise level.

However, I dislike 9mm 124+p for defense use because they are so loud and blasty, especially through a shorter barrel. I use 147 HST (non +p) in all of my 9mm defense handguns.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You're overthinking it if hearing loss is factoring in. You're looking at a difference of one 9mm to another indoors, not 9mm vs 5.56.

A while back after a range trip I threw a mag of Syntech in my carry 19 just for the ride home...and a month or so later I realized it was still in there. Wouldn't be the worst choice...but wouldn't be my first choice either.

I know, shot placement and all...but there's no reason not to have shot placement and a more effective round.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I haven't seen the Syntech hollow point in that weight, but there may be one. I believe the defensive Syntech was in the 130ish range (didn't pay too much attention, as it was more then my HST or Gold Dots).
    I didn't know there was such a thing. Sure enough 138 syntech defense hollow point. https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-S9SJT2.html
    Segementing design seems suboptimal. From federal -
    Hollow-point bullet separates into three segments and a deep-penetrating core on impact
    Core achieves 12 to 18 inches of penetration in both bare ballistics gel and through heavy clothing
    Segments create three secondary wound channels more than 6 inches deep

User Tag List