Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry what you compete with?

I shoot my daily carry gun in IDPA matches, out of my daily carry rig. I don't wear the 'shoot me first' vest, instead opting for the normal untucked shirt I use every day. The only difference between my carry rig and my match rig is the ammo (ball vs. JHP).

For me, IDPA isn't about winning the match, it's about testing my performance against myself. I want to verify whether or not my carry choices are valid and adequate. Training helps with that, but the IDPA folks come up with some weird situations that I wouldn't have thought of myself.

And yeah, the Langdon-tweaked 92 is a thing of beauty. Mine still runs like a scalded-ass ape.

I normally carry some sort of Glock and game with some sort of Glock. That said I very rarely shoot matches with my carry gear. I play games to win them (or at least give it a go) so for IDPA matches I wear the shoot me vest and the staright drop Comp Tac rig and all that. And Im playing with more and more gamey parts in them.

That said I do lots of carry training with my carry gear. But don't consider games training.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I have shot a dozen or so local matches with my carry gun. Nothing major, just dueling tree or bowling pin shoots. I always place first ot second with my P30. At AFHS in Wilmington, I ran my carry gear both days and was able to keep up with folks. I view gun games as a potential hobby right now and just don't have the time for another hobby. Between family, shooting, reloading and instructing and work, life is busy enough. I could see myself getting into it down the road and looking for every advantage. The thing that bugs me about the whole gamer vs carry debate is the fact that same just don't carry at all. I see people all the time who shoot their "carry gear" and then pack it up after the match and toss it in the trunk. On the other hand I have seen gamer guys do the same but they will have a bug on them the entire time. So from a SD standpoint the gamer is armed and the carry guy has no clue. But at least they are having a good time and providing competition. But yes, I carry / use / and compete with one gun.
    Taking a break from social media.

Yes. I may go with the 4" version in carry mode, but it's the same gun.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

19 & 17

I EDC my glock 19 and use it for IDPA. However I use different holsters fro carry and IDPA.

Bought a 17 recently so will be using that for IDPA and carrying my 19.

Everything will be the same on both guns

Carry and compete with my G17. For matches and practice I put a Lone Wolf barrel and Jager guide rod in for my lead reloads. My gear choice usually depends on the match type or my mood.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I compete with what I carry. In my early days, it was the USP45 in Lim10. More recently, it was the P30, and now the 1911 in KSTG.

I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge with the same old nasty Gen 2 G-19 that I carry. It just got a set of fresh skateboard tape, so watch out.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I shoot my carry gear in both IDPA and USPSA production

M&P9
    Blade-tech Eclipse holster
    Blade-tech Tek-Lok mag pouch
    Over shirt for IDPA

I am thinking about getting a M&P40 PRO for USPSA and setting it up as a limited gun. For me IDPA is where I want to get as good as I can, and USPSA is just lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    Thanks for that info Chris. Is that something listed in the Rule book, one of the appendices, or elsewhere? If you can point in the general direction that would be great. I'd like to get more familiar with the ins & outs.
    The equipment rules for the divisions are in the Appendices. As Chris said, Production and Single Stack require holsters and mags to be behind the hip bone., and you'll find that mentioned there. The other divisions, you won't find any mention of holster position. If they don't address it, it's allowed.

Lately I've been shooting an M&P9c from AIWB in USPSA competitions (Limited 10 minor), to get accustomed to both the holster position and the gun, both new to me within the last year. That is my carry setup on the rare occasions that I get to carry. (Which is to say, when I'm not in Maryland.)

If I feel more like competing than training, then I'll revert back to my SIG X5 and Blade-tech DOH, like I did earlier this month. My AIWB setup doesn't jive well with the rest of my 3-gun setup.

User Tag List