Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry what you compete with?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's the exact same gun in the sense that the gun I wore to the range -- and wore all day the day before and will wear all day the day after -- is the gun I compete with.

For me personally it's important. Competition has always been something I do for the sake of pushing and testing myself and my carry gear.

I've got absolutely nothing against people who see the game as more of a game and want to use gear they believe will help them win the game, as long as they realize they're doing it for the sake of the game.

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.
    does Ernie still compete with and/or carry his Beretta? If so, which model?

I unfortunately missed out of the days where he offered Beretta tuning services.

I "compete" with my carry gun/holster/everyday dress because my local range does not otherwise permit a holster draw on the line. The only other difference is a double OWB mag pouch vs velcro backed double mag pouch in a velcro lined cargo pocket.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.
    Ok he wants to compete with his carry gear, then why doesn't he shoot USPSA? Unlike IDPA, there is a division in USPSA that you can use your carry gear in. You may not have the most optimal equipment for your division, but if competing in your carry gear is that important, that shouldn't matter. If winning is important, then yes you have to go full gamer.

Just because IDPA, and USPSA Production/Single Stack doesn't allow your carry gear doesn't mean that you can't shoot in limited, limited 10, or open (for the people running red dots). Hell I think you can even use lasers in open, though I might be wrong.

We are diminished
    Ernest is shooting and carrying a P30.

He specifically mentioned that he might shoot Limited 10 minor just to stay in it.

Ernest is shooting and carrying a P30.

He specifically mentioned that he might shoot Limited 10 minor just to stay in it.
    So does that mean that AIWB is permitted in USPSA?
    I've had a look through the rule book and appendices and couldn't find anything other than no holsters & mag pouches forward of the hip bone.

I've been looking to get into a shooting sport but want to use my carry gear. Any help with my weak search-fu would be appreciated. Thanks!
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Production and Singlestack division require a holster behind the hip. All other divisions are open season...

_C
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Production and Singlestack division require a holster behind the hip. All other divisions are open season...

_C
    Thanks for that info Chris. Is that something listed in the Rule book, one of the appendices, or elsewhere? If you can point in the general direction that would be great. I'd like to get more familiar with the ins & outs.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I shoot IPSC Limited (classified B) with my daily carry 9mm P2000 and concealed (t-shirt) leather AIWB holster.
    I shoot our local "Outlaw" CCW matches with either my P2000 or my P2000Sk using my daily carry gear.
    The only gear change I make on occasion is I use a kydex mag carrier instead of my leather mag carrier to save wear and tear on my carry gear.
    Horizontal mag carriers are very dependent on tension and hard sweaty range use of a leather carrier tends to loosen it up over time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Carry a g19 everyday that I can (college student) with trijicon sights as my only mod.

I shoot the same gun in IDPA, with the same kytex gear mag pouches. I don't wear a vest because I'm not ghey. I shoot like I carry, 3 o'clock owb with a polo as my "cover" garment. I've never been made in public, and the guys I shoot with know this is how I carry.

USPSA I shoot production or ltd 10 with a g17. I use the same kytex mag pouches just more of them. I use a Bladetech stingray holster. G17 has defoor's sights on it, when I shoot ltd 10 I put a ICE magwell just for shits and gets.

I'll be shooting single stack next year in USPSA. I'll have to get creative with mag pouches, but I'll likely use a bladetech stingray for a holster.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

We carry Glock 17s at work, and I carry G19s off-duty generally, so I either use my duty rig and my G17 or my IWB holster off-duty gear and my G19 to run in IDPA or IPSC shoots.

For when we do BUG gun courses I use my BUG, a S&W 642.

User Tag List