Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry what you compete with?

Do you carry what you compete with?

How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun?

Is it the exact same gun(same gun type, same sights ,etc)?
    Same family of guns (G34 vs G19/G26, etc)?
    Same class of guns (striker fired, DA/SA, SAO, etc)?

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?

Same gun for both. Literally.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Compete with Glock 22 in .40 or using Storm Lake 9mm conversion.
    Daily carry, Glock 26. (I am issued a Sig 229 DAK, but rarely carry it. In plain clothes, the Glock 26 conceals SO much better.)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Since I shoot only a couple matches a year, and since the matches only require 50 rounds or so, I'll usually shoot my carry gun, and depending on how many JHPs are in the ammo stash, I'll shoot carry ammo in these matches, too. I see it as a good opportunity to check function of everything.

If I start competing more , I'll likely use my training pistol, which is usually a very close copy of my carry gun.

ETA: I think it's pretty important to always shoot the same gun, regardless of what you're doing. The more reps on a piece of potentially life saving equipment, the better.
    Last edited by JDM; 08-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Practice with a 17 and carry a 19, 17, 22, 20 or 29 depending upon where I am. All are set up very similarly.

Compete with a G17, generally carry a G19, G26 and only occassionally a G17. As to whether that difference is relevant in self defense . . . [edit: deleted "yawn" which wasn't directed at the OP] ? Nope. Reason for shooting my action pistol matches with the 17? To score as high as possible vis a vis friendly competiton among shooting buddies. Nothing else at stake.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-24-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I compete with a Beretta 92 and carry a 92 Compact.

I do tend to spend a lot of time shooting matches, so I figured keeping the same manual of arms and trigger system would be beneficial. Second benefit is that I only need to buy one set of holsters, mag pouches, magazines, and parts.

Yup...

Due to Illinois, it isn't often that I carry. When I do, I prefer Dos Equis...

Errr... I carry pretty much what I compete with: G22, sometimes a G27 with a grip extension.

I've been shooting a G35 for a bit, but that is a bit too long... Same handle and sight picture as the G22...

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun?
    Is it the exact same gun(same gun type, same sights ,etc)?
    It's the exact same gun in the sense that the gun I wore to the range -- and wore all day the day before and will wear all day the day after -- is the gun I compete with.

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?
    For me personally it's important. Competition has always been something I do for the sake of pushing and testing myself and my carry gear.

I've got absolutely nothing against people who see the game as more of a game and want to use gear they believe will help them win the game, as long as they realize they're doing it for the sake of the game.

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It's the exact same gun in the sense that the gun I wore to the range -- and wore all day the day before and will wear all day the day after -- is the gun I compete with.

For me personally it's important. Competition has always been something I do for the sake of pushing and testing myself and my carry gear.

I've got absolutely nothing against people who see the game as more of a game and want to use gear they believe will help them win the game, as long as they realize they're doing it for the sake of the game.

Coincidentally, I was talking to Ernest Langdon about this just earlier today. He commented that the last IDPA match he shot (last year's Carolina Cup) was the last time he'd used something other than an AIWB holster, and that he's stopped competing in part because he carries AIWB and would prefer to compete with his carry gear.
    ^^^This^^^

This year I've competed in sanctioned IDPA matches with my duty weapon, the M&P 45. The holster is the Safariland ALS. And while I havent done as well as I would have liked I have gained confidence in the weapon. Ive found that I wanna shoot it as fast as my M&P 9 and, well, I just cant run the 45 like I can my 9...yet.

I am considering shooting the IDPA Nationals in duty gear but I dont know how competitive I will be and I am always looking for a match bump so...I just do not know about that yet. I've got the East Coast Championships tomorrow @ Caswell Ranch and I'll be running the 45/ALS.

Other thant the 45, I also qualified (at work) with the G-19 as well as the M&P 9 that I compete with. Other than the KKM barrel its bone stock and if I could carry it at work (policy dictates only the PD weapon) I'd put the 45 back in the armory. They all have an ALS holster and IWB so I have a few options when carrying concealed.

And if memory serves, Ernie shot the Carolina Cup last year with a compact Beretta 92...? I shot the same Div/Class as him and he smoked me by 68.59 points.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 08-23-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling

User Tag List