Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry what you compete with?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun?

Is it the exact same gun(same gun type, same sights ,etc)?
    Same family of guns (G34 vs G19/G26, etc)?
    Same class of guns (striker fired, DA/SA, SAO, etc)?

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?
    Depends on the game. For USPSA no. For IDPA I generally use my Glock 17 duty gun and most of the time in my duty rig for work. For three gun I sometimes shoot my duty guns to stay familiar with them but its not as competative to shoot a SCAR 17 in open and a 14 inch 870 with a Glock 17. My SCAR has two optics (Nightforce 2.5-10 and a off set R1 aimpoint)
    I do attend LEO only matches and of course use my duty guns for that.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    How similar is your competition gun to your primary carry gun?

Is it the exact same gun(same gun type, same sights ,etc)?
    Same family of guns (G34 vs G19/G26, etc)?
    Same class of guns (striker fired, DA/SA, SAO, etc)?

What sort of importance do you place on competing with the same or similar gun you carry?

Yes, no, and maybe.

In IDPA, I compete wearing duty gear. My issued duty weapon isn't IDPA legal as it is a G18C; so, I substitute a G17 in it's place for IDPA; however, with no WMLs allowed I switch the holster as well. I use the same design holster but just one that doesn't accomodate a light. I often carry a Glock 37/X300 on duty, and while I have shot it in IDPA on the club level, it forces me to run 200pf against folks shooting 125pf. If it were allowed in CDP, I'd be all over using it for IDPA.

I do shoot the above mentioned G37 in GSSF Heavy Metal. Also in GSSF, I shoot my venerable G19 in Guardian. This was long my off duty carry gun when at a previous agency.

Sometimes I go old school and carry a wheelgun, and I have carried the same wheelgun that I use in IDPA SSR. Likewise for when I venture into ESR.

For IDPA CDP, I adopted the M&P45 because I can't use my G37 or G38, the G21 is too big for my hands, and the 1911 just doesn't work for me.

Carry:
    G17 in shoulder holster, S&W 442 w/CT Laser in SS OWB

Competition:
    G17 in SS OWB in ESP because I stipple my grips. Makes the gun as fast as a 9mm 1911 ya know!

The laser and shoulder holster obviously are not "real world" enough for IDPA. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DVCPrepper View Post
    Carry:
    G17 in shoulder holster, S&W 442 w/CT Laser in SS OWB

Competition:
    G17 in SS OWB in ESP because I stipple my grips. Makes the gun as fast as a 9mm 1911 ya know!

The laser and shoulder holster obviously are not "real world" enough for IDPA. LOL
    I don't think the shoulder holster is safe enough for competition.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yea I have had guns pointed at me enough times as an RO to know shoulder rigs are not a good idea in competition. I don't care for them in real life either. They are easier for an attacker to draw in close proximity than they are for you. I think they have a place for pilots and drivers but thats about it.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    My issued duty weapon ... is a G18C
    That is completely awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don't think it is for most competitors either. It's the shooter not the holster that is unsafe. Same reason I like cold ranges unless the shooters are vetted.

My USPSA Production, IDPA SSP and Steel Challenge iron sight gun is a 5" M&P Pro. Its one of my HD pistols, but not a regular carry gun. My carry gun is most often a P2K SK which I shoot in BUG matches. I started shooting competitively with what I carried, was satisfied with my competency, but wanted to level the playing field. Just won my first IDPA overall last weekend.

Same family of firearm type: DA/SA with one exception. I have a SA only CZ 75, trigger tuned by Angus Hobdell. This is a competition only pistol, fun to shoot and makes me look good...
    I carry and compete with:
    Beretta 92G
    HK P-30

I shoot an Open Gun or a N-frame revolver for USPSA.

I haven't shot my carry gun much, but I did shoot it once in competition, a Kimber CDP Elite II Ultra with a Crossbreed Supertuck at the recent IDPA bug match, and I won!

so there are basic skills that you will learn and hone by shooting other guns.
    [ http://gunbot.org | http://youtube.com/gunrobot ]

User Tag List