Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PX4 Storm Carry Full-Size Refinished by CCR

PX4 Storm Carry Full-Size Refinished by CCR

In January 2021, I placed an order for the Innox (Stainless Steel) version of the Beretta PX4 Storm. After 7 months, I received my order only to discover it was a regular PX4 Storm. Gunshop inquiries revealed Beretta is no longer manufacturing the Innox version. After consideration and more research (which included countless videos of PX4 owners and experiences), I purchased the PX4 Storm Carry Full-Sized. (I had looked into the Compact version; but, after holding it for a bit, decided grip was just too short in my hand to shoot comfortably.) PSA: There are two versions of the PX4 Storm Carry Full-Sized, one sold from Beretta, one sold direct from Langdon Tactical - two difference being: 1) LTT polishes and stones the trigger assembly before shipping 2) LTT includes the LTT Optimized Performance Trigger Bar.

I've done a few minor changes to gun. Both 12# and 10# springs (and default Competition spring). Standard Size Slide Stop (Maybe a mm wider than low-profile included one). Carry Levers (included Stealth Levers just too hard to thumb). LTT Optimized Performance Trigger Bar - NP3. Steel trigger. After watching numerous how-to videos. I polished and stoned the trigger assembly myself. I purchased these parts from LTT. LTT staff has been friendly and very helpful.

I had intended all along to send the PX4 out to be refinished. The factory black has a well documented history of scratching and wearing. The Carry version has the Cerakote "Sniper Grey" finish. I actually like the Cerakote more than I had expected, but stuck with the plan to refinish.

NP3 options are a bit hard to find and fairly expensive. The LTT NP3 option ($240) covers many things; but not everything - not the barrel. The NP3 finish is a nickel/teflon coating. After doing a lot of research I ended up selecting Cumming Custom Refinishing (CCR) with their nickel/boron CPII finish. I sent out most of the metal parts to have refinished.

CCR was easy to deal with and very friendly on phone and email. Refinishing took a bit longer than the 7-8 week estimate - fault supply chain woes as they had issues securing chemicals.

I am extremely please with result. CCR did the entire trigger group as well as disassembling and reassembling slide with all its sub components. The electroless plating process gives the resulting finish something of an egg-shell or slightly matte finish - not mirror shiny. In some lights, it almost looks like a painted finish.. no, not quite painted, but somehow artificial. In most lights it looks like titanium with almost a glow. I would say this looks more like titanium than stainless steel. Regardless. I love it!

I sent in the original trigger bar. I am including pic comparing it to the LTT NP3 trigger bar. You can see the CCR CPII finish is a bit lighter than the LTT NP3 finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Interesting. It looks great. Does the nickle/boron finish have some lubricity, as does NP3?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Interesting. It looks great. Does the nickle/boron finish have some lubricity, as does NP3?
    Depends who you ask. I spent a fair amount of time researching and the general consensus is:

Both Nickel Boron (NiB) & Nickel Teflon (PTFE) have impart natural lubricity.
    PTEE may have lower friction resistance than NiB
    NiB is harder and should last longer than PTFE

I never intend to run any firearm without oil & grease - but who doesn't like the idea of natural lubricity. Magazine feels like it slides in and pops out easier. I had polished and stoned trigger and had LTT optimized trigger bar NP3 & 10# spring installed previously. That had already made for very, very smooth trigger pull. The new NiB coated trigger is fitting too tight. It was a little bit of a bitch to swap trigger - more so because a destroyed my left wrist in sporting accident in late Dec and my left hand still mostly useless - impossible still to rack the slide. I need to pull trigger back out and work out why it's not moving freely. That is to say. I cannot give you any numbers on trigger pull or much on personal experience side. Prolly be another month before I can get to the range, though, I will be able to give numbers on the trigger pull sooner.
    Last edited by bigNate; 02-03-2022 at 04:37 PM.

Very nice! I've always been a fan of two-tone guns. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigNate View Post
    The new NiB coated trigger is fitting too tight. It was a little bit of a bitch to swap trigger...I need to pull trigger back out and work out why it's not moving freely.

It's been mentioned that the steel trigger for the PX4 sold by Beretta is not a recommended part. It usually doesn't fit properly, and some folks have broken them through normal use. I tried one myself a few years ago, and it did not fit.

You may want to consider going back to the stock trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    It's been mentioned that the steel trigger for the PX4 sold by Beretta is not a recommended part. It usually doesn't fit properly, and some folks have broken them through normal use. I tried one myself a few years ago, and it did not fit.
    I did see this thread. I didn't see fitment issues.. just broken trigger issues. It was a cause for some concern. I hadn't seen any updates to it since 2018 and was hoping issues were corrected. I don't intend to carry a gun (though I do have permit). This puts me in a different category of shooter.

But, yeah.. if I cannot get trigger to work perfectly, I'll put factory one back in.

I did see this thread. I didn't see fitment issues.. just broken trigger issues. It was a cause for some concern. I hadn't seen any updates to it since 2018 and was hoping issues were corrected. I don't intend to carry a gun (though I do have permit). This puts me in a different category of shooter.

But, yeah.. if I cannot get trigger to work perfectly, I'll put factory one back in.

In my case, the trigger pin would not fit unless I increased the diameter of the trigger pin holes in the trigger itself. By having material added to your trigger, that issue may have been introduced or exacerbated for you.

Beyond the durability issues, it doesn’t seem to be a drop-in part.

Regarding the CCR finish itself, was your gun unfired before it was applied?

Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    In my case, the trigger pin would not fit unless I increased the diameter of the trigger pin holes in the trigger itself. By having material added to your trigger, that issue may have been introduced or exacerbated for you.

Beyond the durability issues, it doesn’t seem to be a drop-in part.

Regarding the CCR finish itself, was your gun unfired before it was applied?
    I shared concern about adding a layer of finish, no matter how thin, to parts machined to tight tolerances.

I had put approx 1,000 rounds through gun before sending off to be refinished.

I had put approx 1,000 rounds through gun before sending off to be refinished.

Excellent! A gun doesn’t need to be unfired in order to have their finish applied, which doesn't seem to be the case with NP3+.

Please let us know how it performs and holds up. I'd like to consider this for a few of my PX4s.

Site Supporter
    Since NP3 is so hard to get I think I have decided on @ccr do do the bolt carrier assembly and barrel of my LaRue SUURG upper that I am planning to pick up to run as a dedicated suppressed patrol rofle on my 6920 lower.

pat

User Tag List